Does Windows 10 mobile support background downloading?

Haris Siddiqui1

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Does windows 10 mobile support background downloading?

my friend bought a windows phone a while back. a 1520

he absolutely loved it...except for one thing. he said he couldn't background download.
as a windows fan, i want him to return to windows phone. naturally, he was using windows 8.1. can someone confirm that windows 10 has background downloading? i think he was using an app called zapya. and when he changed apps, it stopped downloading.
as i cuurently have a sony xperia z3 (i know, i know...i'm a sony fan too...but planned upgrade to the HP elite X3) so i cant test this.
but let me know if any one of u guys can confirm this.
we cant let windows phone die
and if i can get one more person on windows phone, i will be the happiest man on earth

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does windows 10 mobile support background downloading?

hey its just a phone!

anyways, I'm not clear on that actually. I know that offline maps can now download in the background.

But if the app hasn't been updated for Windows 10 I'm sure it'll behave the same. Even if it has been revamped, I don't know for sure if it handles it.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I hope someone else gives an authoritative answer. My impression is that it depends on the app. Unlike android I don't think W10 has a dedicated background download service so each app does it's own thing. Since most apps are put to sleep when in the background to conserve battery, I think downloads pause.

For example, when downloading tracks with groove, I've noticed they don't finish until I put the app in the foreground again.

But I haven't tried downloading with the browser and then putting it in the background.

Sent from mTalk

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

From what I know, there is a background download service, but it's limited to 5 files at once (or something like that, which cripples it a lot). So basicly, there is background downloading, but it's not the kind of background downloading you'd expect, or the kind you see on Windows 10 (for PCs) for example.
Still, I don't see much use in it. It's only imortant for torrent apps, and the like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6