The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-06-2016 01:21 PM
73 123
tools
    Not correct. Most of users doesn't know everything they install on your phones stays on background, till phones collapse and drain. And essential services cannot be stopped anyway.
    You are right. But then again most users are also not thinking about turning off apps simply because they don't know anything about this kind of stuff like we do (they are not exactly enthusiasts like we are!). To them, the sequence works pretty much like this: installed app>needs to work>why is battery life so low>terrible phone>get a new device. I have seen this happen across all mobile OSs (well except for Blackberry - I dont know anyone who used to use a 'berry - and feature phone OSs).
    06-13-2016 08:09 PM
    On the standard build for 950 and finding it ok. However, I have gotten so used to doing backup -- reset --- restore that I now get to the weekend and think "Time for a restore?". A kind of Stockholm Syndrome?

If I don't need to rebuild the phone I feel lost. End up having to relax, play with the kids, talk to the wife... Very odd.
    I admire your candour!!!
    06-13-2016 08:10 PM
    Okay, to all those who mentioned that a hard reset isn't necessary and should be the last resort, what do I do when none of the solutions work? As in for the battery drain, cortana crashing,resuming screensetc. And is there even a fix for cortana crashing? And the resuming screens?
    Well, unfortunately, in the MS/W10 universe you are now left with no choice if the above list mentioned by you is what you are contending with. Having said that, I would recommend not simply a "hard reset" but going back to baseline with the WDRT. From there get back to whatever Production of Build version you were on. And, try to avoid using a 'back up" to set up your phone. Start afresh.

I really don't think you have any options. And yes, selling the 950XL now will not really make sense.

All this said though - I use a 950XL as my daily driver. It runs the latest Insiders' Fast Build. And it is rock stable. Yes, there is a problem with Cortana, but I don't use her services often. Battery life has certainly improved with this build but I am sure the OS can be further optimized in this context which I expect to happen by the time the AU is released in July sometime. Everything else seems fine really. While I don't use a lot of apps, the ones I do use - paid and free - work very well and the integration with my other Windows machines is good and is slated to get even better shortly (hopefully!!!). Don't get my wrong here - I am not saying that the OS does not need quite a bit of refinement - it most certainly does!!! which I am hopeful will happen (tongue-in-cheek!) "soon".
    Last edited by kristalsoldier; 06-13-2016 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Typos
    pankaj981 likes this.
    06-13-2016 08:25 PM
    I recently joined the 950 club from an L930. Though the L930 was a battery hog, my L950 seems almost on par. I get an average of 8 - 10hrs average daily use. I was wondering could it also be down to 8.1 apps not perfectly optimised for W10 phones? Of the most used apps I have, they are 8.1 apps which I don't think will ever be updated.
    Yes apparently so. I have read at numerous places that while Silverlight apps used to work just fine on 8.1, this is not the case with W10. Either those apps rework themselves into (most likely) UWP or they will probably languish.
    06-13-2016 08:29 PM
    I have an international version single sim 950 xl. I am not on insider. Only after the update I reset once and also I got a new firmware from windows device recovery tool. Since then, I have no problems. There are very minor problems which I don't care. Try to reset in WDRT.
    Yeah, I will do this over the weekend...had a minor issue today where I couldn't search for any app in the store, it would just give me a blank screen with the resuming scroll...i could search for songs, movies and other stuff, just not apps...and I tried to install them by searching for the apps in the store on bing but that too was giving me an error, something along the lines of 'the app doesn't exist'...I just didn't want to deal with it then, so left it aside...but once i got back home, I could search for apps again in the store.
    06-13-2016 10:01 PM
    Well, unfortunately, in the MS/W10 universe you are now left with no choice if the above list mentioned by you is what you are contending with. Having said that, I would recommend not simply a "hard reset" but going back to baseline with the WDRT. From there get back to whatever Production of Build version you were on. And, try to avoid using a 'back up" to set up your phone. Start afresh.

I really don't think you have any options. And yes, selling the 950XL now will not really make sense.

All this said though - I use a 950XL as my daily driver. It runs the latest Insiders' Fast Build. And it is rock stable. Yes, there is a problem with Cortana, but I don't use her services often. Battery life has certainly improved with this build but I am sure the OS can be further optimized in this context which I expect to happen by the time the AU is released in July sometime. Everything else seems fine really. While I don't use a lot of apps, the ones I do use - paid and free - work very well and the integration with my other Windows machines is good and is slated to get even better shortly (hopefully!!!). Don't get my wrong here - I am not saying that the OS does not need quite a bit of refinement - it most certainly does!!! which I am hopeful will happen (tongue-in-cheek!) "soon".
    Lol, no, I get it...Even I'm hoping the anniversary update will iron out the issues
    06-13-2016 10:09 PM
    Hi!

I'm not on a 950 (XL) .. I use a 930 and was on 10.0.10586.107 (or something like that). I had the same issues like crashing cortana etc.
    I solved the problem by joining the insider program: NO fast, NO slow ring, BUT release preview!
    Now I'm on 10.0.10586.338 and my Lumia 930 runs perfectly smooth.

I did this about a month ago.

Hope that helpes.
    jeffreymclean likes this.
    06-14-2016 04:58 AM
    That's fantastic!

Inpired by your comments I did the following changes to my Lumia 950 configuration. Only these two changes from an otherwise unmodified Lumia 950.

1 - The maximum network speed has been set to 3G
    2 - Email sync setting has been set to "Depending on my phone usage" (emails are still entering almost instantly on all 3 accounts)

This morning @ 5h30 I unplugged my phone off the USB cable. It is now 12h30 and my battery is at 84%. My usage have been :

- download and install Shazam from cellular network;
    - about 10 SMS;
    - 3 phone calls for a total of about 10-12 minutes;
    - about 50 emails received;
    - surf lightly on the Web... perhaps a dozen web pages;
    - about 30 minutes of music.

This is awesome as normally, under these circumstances, I shall be looking for a power outlet... flirting with the low 30%.

Also, i notice the Lumia is not warm at all. Even when I browse the Web with Edge which used to generate a lot of heat in the past.

It seems to me the culpript for my battery drain was the 4G/LTE. Frankly, I can't event tell the difference in terms of network speed... Shazam download and Web browsing is a snap.

On a sidenote : I haven't missed a single call yet and the network indicator remains strongly in the 3 bars and +.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    06-14-2016 11:36 AM
    That's fantastic!

Inpired by your comments I did the following changes to my Lumia 950 configuration. Only these two changes from an otherwise unmodified Lumia 950.

2 - Email sync setting has been set to "Depending on my phone usage" (emails are still entering almost instantly on all 3 accounts)

This morning @ 5h30 I unplugged my phone off the USB cable. It is now 12h30 and my battery is at 84%. My usage have been :

- about 10 SMS;

This is awesome as normally, under these circumstances, I shall be looking for a power outlet... flirting with the low 30%.

Also, i notice the Lumia is not warm at all. Even when I browse the Web with Edge which used to generate a lot of heat in the past.

It seems to me the culpript for my battery drain was the 4G/LTE. Frankly, I can't event tell the difference in terms of network speed... Shazam download and Web browsing is a snap.

On a sidenote : I haven't missed a single call yet and the network indicator remains strongly in the 3 bars and +.
    Really, if you aren't able to see any difference btwn 3G and 4G, better you blame your carrier coverage instead your phone manufacturer ;)
    If coverare is pooor, all phones will drain trying to reach performance

PS: LTE is NOT 4G, is a powered 3G
    06-14-2016 12:02 PM
    That's fantastic!

- about 10 SMS;

How did you set the maximum network speed to 3G? I don't have that on my XL. I found another post in the forum where the user had the same issue but one of the others users who replied to that thread had the option to change the network speed.
    06-14-2016 02:37 PM
    Under SIM Parameters I set the maximum speed to 3G. I was given 3 options: 4G, 3G, 2G. I presume this vary from carrier to carrier.

An update on my battery usage. I'm now at 64% left. So that's 36% battery consumption in between 5h30 AM and 7h00 PM with a moderate usage as described earlier (roughly doubles the phone calls and SMS and emails...) Fairly impressive. The day is almost over and I'm confident it could last all night plus all noon tomorrow. Let's see.
    06-14-2016 06:15 PM
    Under SIM Parameters I set the maximum speed to 3G. I was given 3 options: 4G, 3G, 2G. I presume this vary from carrier to carrier.

An update on my battery usage. I'm now at 64% left. So that's 36% battery consumption in between 5h30 AM and 7h00 PM with a moderate usage as described earlier (roughly doubles the phone calls and SMS and emails...) Fairly impressive. The day is almost over and I'm confident it could last all night plus all noon tomorrow. Let's see.
    Glad to see some of the solutions as helping
    06-15-2016 07:07 AM
    I'm with you. You should NEVER have to hard reset. Even after an update, that is crap. If that is their answer to everything, then someone needs to be fired. The idea of these phones is to make everything easier. If there is this much maintenance, then who needs it? Anyone that suggests 'hard reset' for everything is helping this clown situation we are in. Its B.S., it's a cop-out, and it's embarrassing.

Windows Phone.... Rebuilding since 2010.
    Morgoth81 likes this.
    06-15-2016 08:40 AM
    I feel so accomplished right now! :O

:D

-- W
    06-15-2016 11:08 AM

Yeah, I guess so, because I don't have those options...if you don't mind me asking, which network are you on?...Regarding the battery life, my phone was around 51% after 24 hours. Then I used whatsapp and windowscentral for a while and BOOM, lost around 25% in 2 hrs. After I got back home I had around 8% battery life and I turned off my wifi, data and location while keeping the battery saver on. The strange thing was, the phone died within an hour, without me doing anything and there were no apps open in the background. Really having a hard time figuring out what exactly is draining the battery.
    06-16-2016 01:22 AM
    I'm with you. You should NEVER have to hard reset. Even after an update, that is crap. If that is their answer to everything, then someone needs to be fired. The idea of these phones is to make everything easier. If there is this much maintenance, then who needs it? Anyone that suggests 'hard reset' for everything is helping this clown situation we are in. Its B.S., it's a cop-out, and it's embarrassing.

Windows Phone.... Rebuilding since 2010.
    I agree with you, but at this point we can't do anything about this. And to think I drove an hour and had to find my way into a building they weren't allowing anyone into just to get this phone makes me all the more mad. Hopefully, like kristal said, the anniversary update fixes the issues.
    06-16-2016 01:27 AM
    Yeah, I guess so, because I don't have those options...if you don't mind me asking, which network are you on?...Regarding the battery life, my phone was around 51% after 24 hours. Then I used whatsapp and windowscentral for a while and BOOM, lost around 25% in 2 hrs. After I got back home I had around 8% battery life and I turned off my wifi, data and location while keeping the battery saver on. The strange thing was, the phone died within an hour, without me doing anything and there were no apps open in the background. Really having a hard time figuring out what exactly is draining the battery.
    That boom took 2 hours which is acceptable in my book. If I was using whatsapp for 2 hours on 3G or 4G , my battery would be dead, not drained 25%
    If we take a rate of 2-3% per hour drain on standby for your case, then the phone switched off when the battery level reached 5% which I believe is the default shut off level
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    06-16-2016 04:15 AM
    That boom took 2 hours which is acceptable in my book. If I was using whatsapp for 2 hours on 3G or 4G , my battery would be dead, not drained 25%
    If we take a rate of 2-3% per hour drain on standby for your case, then the phone switched off when the battery level reached 5% which I believe is the default shut off level
    Yeah, 2 hrs on whatsapp would drain the battery, but I wasn't using it for that long, maybe around 10 mins tops. What I meant was I checked the level after 2 hrs and it had drained 25%.
    Yeah, that 2-3% would have made sense if I had data, location or wifi turned on but none of these were...I just didn't expect it to drain at the same rate when the above mentioned were turned off, guess I was wrong. I'll see how it goes today...had been thinking about updating it to .420 but was skeptical, then I read the forum post about the issues with that build and decided to just hold off.
    06-16-2016 08:58 AM
    You're absolutely right. I've had a 950 since last February and while I want it to be absolutely 100% perfect, it's been riddled with issues since Day 1, and subsequent updates haven't done much to address the issues. I accept that Windows 10 has been in a state of near Beta since it came out a year ago and I've done my fair share of reporting issues through the feedback forums, but I've honestly seen no real improvement through 4-5 updates. The issues I see are:

• Heat buld up and lagging to the point where only a soft reset will fix it
    • Living images doesn't work
    • Mobile hotspot doesn't work
    • Reboots after using Maps
    • No settings sync with other Windows 10 devices

This is just a sample of the issues I've encountered and I've finally arrived at your post today as I debate a hard reset. The problem is that a hard reset will take the device back to the software build that was on the phone when it came out of the box in February, won't it? And won't that jeopardise the anniversary update?

It's frustrating that those of us who stick by Windows and do our bit to report bugs (and stay patient) aren't rewarded with a solid, stable system.
    08-06-2016 10:40 AM
    No it wont Alex, its only going to wipe your device clean back to a pristine new OS shape, you'll stay on the same build as you are on now. So have no fear, and take the WM10 hard reset. It is baptizm. It is coming of age. It is a ritual!

-- W
    08-06-2016 11:02 AM
    im getting hard everday
    08-06-2016 12:02 PM
    Yeah, my phone nuked itself last night, all "foreground" processing, with Start and "Accounts", even though I was in standby the entire time.

I have Phone, Messaging(texts), Mail and Calendar (to get reminders), and Alarms/Clock, that's it for my background processes.

At some point yesterday though, a bunch of apps went and "re-enabled" themselves into background. So my battery went almost to zero, still showing all "foreground" but undoubtedly the 149393.5 meter has some serious issues, since the phone was in suspend the entire time it drained.
    If these apps are going to set themselves back into background, particularly the high-drain ones, I'm going to have to get out my old phone or something, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm really hoping this is why AU hasn't come out yet OTA, and there's a fix coming, SOON.
    08-06-2016 12:39 PM
    Nedarata you what brother? O_O

Getting hard everyday. Lord have mercy. *Wipes tears clean*

-- W
    08-06-2016 01:21 PM
73 123