Windows 10 Mobile and Hard Resets

offroad73

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Under SIM Parameters I set the maximum speed to 3G. I was given 3 options: 4G, 3G, 2G. I presume this vary from carrier to carrier.

An update on my battery usage. I'm now at 64% left. So that's 36% battery consumption in between 5h30 AM and 7h00 PM with a moderate usage as described earlier (roughly doubles the phone calls and SMS and emails...) Fairly impressive. The day is almost over and I'm confident it could last all night plus all noon tomorrow. Let's see.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Under SIM Parameters I set the maximum speed to 3G. I was given 3 options: 4G, 3G, 2G. I presume this vary from carrier to carrier.

An update on my battery usage. I'm now at 64% left. So that's 36% battery consumption in between 5h30 AM and 7h00 PM with a moderate usage as described earlier (roughly doubles the phone calls and SMS and emails...) Fairly impressive. The day is almost over and I'm confident it could last all night plus all noon tomorrow. Let's see.

Glad to see some of the solutions as helping

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you. You should NEVER have to hard reset. Even after an update, that is crap. If that is their answer to everything, then someone needs to be fired. The idea of these phones is to make everything easier. If there is this much maintenance, then who needs it? Anyone that suggests 'hard reset' for everything is helping this clown situation we are in. Its B.S., it's a cop-out, and it's embarrassing.

Windows Phone.... Rebuilding since 2010.

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I guess so, because I don't have those options...if you don't mind me asking, which network are you on?...Regarding the battery life, my phone was around 51% after 24 hours. Then I used whatsapp and windowscentral for a while and BOOM, lost around 25% in 2 hrs. After I got back home I had around 8% battery life and I turned off my wifi, data and location while keeping the battery saver on. The strange thing was, the phone died within an hour, without me doing anything and there were no apps open in the background. Really having a hard time figuring out what exactly is draining the battery.

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you. You should NEVER have to hard reset. Even after an update, that is crap. If that is their answer to everything, then someone needs to be fired. The idea of these phones is to make everything easier. If there is this much maintenance, then who needs it? Anyone that suggests 'hard reset' for everything is helping this clown situation we are in. Its B.S., it's a cop-out, and it's embarrassing.

Windows Phone.... Rebuilding since 2010.

I agree with you, but at this point we can't do anything about this. And to think I drove an hour and had to find my way into a building they weren't allowing anyone into just to get this phone makes me all the more mad. Hopefully, like kristal said, the anniversary update fixes the issues.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I guess so, because I don't have those options...if you don't mind me asking, which network are you on?...Regarding the battery life, my phone was around 51% after 24 hours. Then I used whatsapp and windowscentral for a while and BOOM, lost around 25% in 2 hrs. After I got back home I had around 8% battery life and I turned off my wifi, data and location while keeping the battery saver on. The strange thing was, the phone died within an hour, without me doing anything and there were no apps open in the background. Really having a hard time figuring out what exactly is draining the battery.

That boom took 2 hours which is acceptable in my book. If I was using whatsapp for 2 hours on 3G or 4G , my battery would be dead, not drained 25%
If we take a rate of 2-3% per hour drain on standby for your case, then the phone switched off when the battery level reached 5% which I believe is the default shut off level

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
That boom took 2 hours which is acceptable in my book. If I was using whatsapp for 2 hours on 3G or 4G , my battery would be dead, not drained 25%
If we take a rate of 2-3% per hour drain on standby for your case, then the phone switched off when the battery level reached 5% which I believe is the default shut off level

Yeah, 2 hrs on whatsapp would drain the battery, but I wasn't using it for that long, maybe around 10 mins tops. What I meant was I checked the level after 2 hrs and it had drained 25%.
Yeah, that 2-3% would have made sense if I had data, location or wifi turned on but none of these were...I just didn't expect it to drain at the same rate when the above mentioned were turned off, guess I was wrong. I'll see how it goes today...had been thinking about updating it to .420 but was skeptical, then I read the forum post about the issues with that build and decided to just hold off.

alexsamson

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
You're absolutely right. I've had a 950 since last February and while I want it to be absolutely 100% perfect, it's been riddled with issues since Day 1, and subsequent updates haven't done much to address the issues. I accept that Windows 10 has been in a state of near Beta since it came out a year ago and I've done my fair share of reporting issues through the feedback forums, but I've honestly seen no real improvement through 4-5 updates. The issues I see are:

• Heat buld up and lagging to the point where only a soft reset will fix it
  • Living images doesn't work
  • Mobile hotspot doesn't work
  • Reboots after using Maps
  • No settings sync with other Windows 10 devices

This is just a sample of the issues I've encountered and I've finally arrived at your post today as I debate a hard reset. The problem is that a hard reset will take the device back to the software build that was on the phone when it came out of the box in February, won't it? And won't that jeopardise the anniversary update?

It's frustrating that those of us who stick by Windows and do our bit to report bugs (and stay patient) aren't rewarded with a solid, stable system.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
No it wont Alex, its only going to wipe your device clean back to a pristine new OS shape, you'll stay on the same build as you are on now. So have no fear, and take the WM10 hard reset. It is baptizm. It is coming of age. It is a ritual!

-- W

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, my phone nuked itself last night, all "foreground" processing, with Start and "Accounts", even though I was in standby the entire time.

I have Phone, Messaging(texts), Mail and Calendar (to get reminders), and Alarms/Clock, that's it for my background processes.

At some point yesterday though, a bunch of apps went and "re-enabled" themselves into background. So my battery went almost to zero, still showing all "foreground" but undoubtedly the 149393.5 meter has some serious issues, since the phone was in suspend the entire time it drained.
If these apps are going to set themselves back into background, particularly the high-drain ones, I'm going to have to get out my old phone or something, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm really hoping this is why AU hasn't come out yet OTA, and there's a fix coming, SOON.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99