Close all apps

casteld73

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to close all the apps running on W10 mobile.

For instance- if you open mail, calendar, and web if you push and hold the back button you'll see all and can close them.

However, I have found after a few days of use certain apps do not show up in this view. I push and hold back button and can kill maybe 6-7 apps. Now at the main home screen. From here if I push back I may get some other app.

The obvious answer is reboot but I am try to see if there is some shortcut I am missing.

Thoughts?

TIA

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is no Kill-Everything option.

And a reboot is best because it's not just the apps themselves that act up.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to close all the apps running on W10 mobile.

For instance- if you open mail, calendar, and web if you push and hold the back button you'll see all and can close them.

However, I have found after a few days of use certain apps do not show up in this view. I push and hold back button and can kill maybe 6-7 apps. Now at the main home screen. From here if I push back I may get some other app.

The obvious answer is reboot but I am try to see if there is some shortcut I am missing.

Thoughts?

TIA

The 7 apps showen limit was removed in Redstone.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have to admit I still close apps, but apart from maybe Edge, there really is no need to close them, Windows will automatically take back an app if it needs to resources and someone actually posted a few weeks ago the memory is called up faster this way than having to use fresh (No I didn't understand it either).

I am a long time computer user from way before PC's had half a meg of memory, so the idea of leaving stuff open is abhorrent to me, but time to move on I think, so I am training myself to leave alone apart from apps that use lots of resources in the background like Edge, but even then you can disable this if you want.

TB1701

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
How can you disable this feature?
I ask because I just bought my wife a new W10 phone and it leaves the apps open. If I understand what you said, this is a feature that allows the phone to respond more quickly for apps that are used a lot. Is that correct?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
How can you disable this feature?
I ask because I just bought my wife a new W10 phone and it leaves the apps open. If I understand what you said, this is a feature that allows the phone to respond more quickly for apps that are used a lot. Is that correct?

Correct. It's the same behaviour of droids and Iphones too. The 7 apps limit will be removed on Anniversary update

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I am also disappointed with how running apps behavior is managed. Every few days I'll close all of the apps via long press of the back button and then manually swiping each app to close.

After going back to the start screen I'll typically confirm that all apps are closed by again long-pressing the back button, which as expected shows that no apps are running.

However, if I then go ahead and short press the back button, I can actually cycle back through numerous other apps that are somehow still running in the background.

This is not expected and is not what I want this device to do in this case where I am trying to close all running apps. There should be an option at the top of the long-press action that truly closes all running apps, similar to what is available in Edge to close all tabs.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am also disappointed with how running apps behavior is managed. Every few days I'll close all of the apps via long press of the back button and then manually swiping each app to close.

After going back to the start screen I'll typically confirm that all apps are closed by again long-pressing the back button, which as expected shows that no apps are running.

However, if I then go ahead and short press the back button, I can actually cycle back through numerous other apps that are somehow still running in the background.

This is not expected and is not what I want this device to do in this case where I am trying to close all running apps. There should be an option at the top of the long-press action that truly closes all running apps, similar to what is available in Edge to close all tabs.

I believe I am correct in saying this (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the apps are not "running in the background".

The only apps that can run in the background, if necessary, are the ones we allow in settings.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I believe I am correct in saying this (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the apps are not "running in the background".

The only apps that can run in the background, if necessary, are the ones we allow in settings.

Correct, these apps are paused on background, like a desktop taskbar, and took some RAM

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire