W10M Official 10586.420 Discussion (Threshold Branch, Inactive)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: W10M Official 10586.420 Issues (Threshold Branch, Production Ring/Official)

A few years old L1520. You're right, it could be the battery, but the change was sudden. It would be a good idea for me to roll back to 8.1 and check if I have the same problem there, though that would require a lot of work which I don't have the time to do now.

My 1520.3 has been in service with me since August of 2014. I've put it through some heavy use at times, stressing the battery endurance with marathon sessions that involved heavy use of all functions and hundreds of pics in a day to long stretches of in-car nav duty for days on end...

It has never been off Official. No Dev Preview, No Insider. It's been on W10M since the first day that was available to it.

My battery remains operating normally. It's not W10M, IMHO.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

My 1520.3 has been in service with me since August of 2014. I've put it through some heavy use at times, stressing the battery endurance with marathon sessions that involved heavy use of all functions and hundreds of pics in a day to long stretches of in-car nav duty for days on end...

It has never been off Official. No Dev Preview, No Insider. It's been on W10M since the first day that was available to it.

My battery remains operating normally. It's not W10M, IMHO.

Looks like I'm up for a new device soon. The battery seems to be dying, and I have another problem which is probably caused by a faulty touch screen (I broke the original ts and had to replace it with a probably not original part). And god damn it, I don't have the money now for a new phone, nor do I want one. :eck:

dzukela

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site

Not the first time, and doing a hard reset after every update is a shame to MS.
But why, I have Lumia 950 since December (build 24 (I think)), and I never did hard reset. I'm really curious what are you doing to yours phones.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Installed versions are working fine like on my 730. Though on my mom's 950XL, the update wrecked her device, so had to reset it. After that, there is no way you can install Instagram, though other apps installed properly.
On a side note, this build seems fine on my device. No glaringly apparent bugs.

I think this is an Instagram issue, at least partly. The reason it can't install it is a "hardware requirement", but other than "10 devices running W10 Mobile", that's about all I see, in the requirements (I'm not a user, just thought I'd try on my 950XL).
My guess is something was tweaked slightly, possibly in an un-published value, that Instagram was relying on to identify some h/w feature. It could be a published one though, anyone with a debugger could probably run it that way, and see where it's calling into, at install, when it fails.
If it's a published one, then Instagram either has to update it, or wait for MS to fix it, sometimes these can be standoffs, particularly with a platform such as this...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

I lost about 11%, from mid-day yesterday, light use, but that includes overnight, this is my 950XL.
I'd check to see what you've got installed, and de-install stuff until it goes away, or (better, yeah, I know it's a pain, I hate resets myself) hard reset it.
Hopefully backup is working better now, I had to do a hard reset with 318 on my wife's HTC M8, disaster, almost nothing recovered, complete opposite of normal Win-Phone recovery experiences...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

But why, I have Lumia 950 since December (build 24 (I think)), and I never did hard reset. I'm really curious what are you doing to yours phones.
I wonder about these too. I guess if I was on Inside Ring, I might be doing more resets (I used to work on the Win OS, and had to do this more frequently). As it stands, I've been on Release Preview for months, and haven't had to reset my 950XL...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

My device refuses to connect to Wi-Fi at work, says no Internet access, while my iPad, Nexus 5, Nexus 9 are all connected to the same network without any issues. I am going to check it soon with my SP3 and see what is going on.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Not the first time, and doing a hard reset after every update is a shame to MS.

I haven't had to do a hard reset on my 950XL and I've put .318, .338 and .420 on it with no issues. Same for my 640 which has installed the last three redstone builds. So it doesn't happen to everyone.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

My phone will no longer check for updates. After I install an update, I always 'check for updates' again to ensure my update was installed correctly. When I tap 'check for updates' my phone freezes for a minute, then reverts back to my homescreen, awesome.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Not the first time, and doing a hard reset after every update is a shame to MS. I cant keep exhausting my Data plan to updates apps after every reset. In btw I don't have access to wifi in my location.

You don't need to do a hard reset after every cumulative update. You only try a hard reset if you have major issues that haven't been sorted out with cumulative OS updates or app updates.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I never had any problems before with the official 10586.XXX builds..
but, right after updating to build 10586.420. here is my experience...-->
first of all the most important. [BATTERY]
overnight , it used to discharge 2-3% , but since yesterday it is discharging like 7-10% per hour without even using it. on standby.
in morning I found 24% battery remaining , which was 58% , 6 hours before.
I did a soft reset, only to find half of my start screen tiles blank.
did a soft reset again....now the start screen was fine as before, but battery problem still persist.
please anyone , if having this problem or any solution then you are welcome to share your thoughts.
L640 XL DS

check through this list

A few things you can try out:
  1. Check settings >system > battery > which apps are using the most energy?
  2. Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need? Keep messaging enabled to run in background
  3. In battery section, you can also set up battery saver to kick in when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I keep mine on 100% so it's always on battery saver mode
  4. In mail app, how often do you have mails to sync? Generally the longer the time period, the less the battery usage
  5. What about brightness settings? Is it on high or auto? Auto is better than a fixed setting
  6. If you find that messaging app uses a lot of battery, this could be because it's linked with skype. Go to messaging app, settings and unlink skype
  7. In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi
  8. When you use some apps that are not data heavy like whatsapp or mail, you can use a lower network speed like 2G. It's what I do usually. I only use LTE when I have to use 6tag
  9. If you're using edge for basic browsing, you could try using UC browser. Not only does it use less data but you can also disable images which means you save even more on data. The less data your phone has to receive, the less the energy used
  10. In settings > privacy - check each of those settings to see which apps can use what. For example I can't understand why Word would need to access location info so I disabled that. There might be apps using services that they are not meant to use
  11. Finally, keep wifi/cellular off when you don't need to have them on. The toggles in action centre are pretty fast so it doesn't take much time in switching internet on/off
  12. Disable auto update of apps, you only update when you are ready and not when you are in need of critical things

Hope this helps you

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

My phone will no longer check for updates. After I install an update, I always 'check for updates' again to ensure my update was installed correctly. When I tap 'check for updates' my phone freezes for a minute, then reverts back to my homescreen, awesome.

give it some time to settle down and then try checking again.
You can also do a soft reset if it still fails

Akhil_007

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

Really great information.

but i've tried everything. from the start i've set
1. background apps to minimum.
2. always automatic brightness.
3. never linked skype with messaging app.
And it used to be pretty well for the battery, but now after this update nothing is helping.

really missing the old build.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Really great information.

but i've tried everything. from the start i've set
1. background apps to minimum.
2. always automatic brightness.
3. never linked skype with messaging app.
And it used to be pretty well for the battery, but now after this update nothing is helping.

really missing the old build.

What does the battery usage say are the primary apps using power?

I ask, not because the app seems to be super-accurate, but you seem to be running out of options, and it does seem to list "large offenders" so hopefully it's a next good step, maybe there's something obvious there (if you haven't already looked).

Last edited:

Akhil_007

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

wp_ss_20160616_0002.png
for last 24 hour
wp_ss_20160616_0001.png
last 48 hours
everything seems to be normal here.
i think the problem lies in system processes
wp_ss_20160616_0003.png
look at the graph and stats..
how fast battery is draining overnight. during standby.

fully charged at night.
when i woke up..around 40%
:(

ZeMintCool

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

I'm experiencing the same thing as Ma Rio on L1520 yet not issues with L925 but with same settings despite several soft & hard resets sometimes without restoring. The L925 is older than the L1520 so I want to doubt it could be the battery?

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site

Battery life has improved significantly for my 640 XL.
Getting closer and closer to 8.1 performance after each update.

What happened with the HDR function is that they have reduced the saving time. Still if you try to adjust HDR settings quickly after the photo has been taken, you will get error.
Have to wait at least 10 seconds before attempting to edit.
This is only for HDR without flash.
HDR with flash saves faster.
Post process a.k.a "Adding finishing touches" is the culprit.
The code needs to be processed faster.

Camera needs major update. The camera app is still not at par with Lumia Camera.
Otherwise, system is buttery smooth. No complaints.

Vivien R

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site

First thing I noticed, that Cortana lost its interest to talk. I gave my usual question and she only replied: here you are, and opened the app, instead of reading out loudly...

Alierna

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site

my battery actually feels better. i think you need to change your battery. it's almost dead. it's not OS related.

to that friend with battery problem. ( i forgot to reply to him).

my battery actually feels better. i think you need to change your battery. it's almost dead. it's not OS related

i think your problem is battery related. maybe it needs to change. my 640XL is about 20% better than previous build.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss