W10M Official 10586.420 Discussion (Threshold Branch, Inactive)

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
At least you got into W10M and the new store to get in on UWP Apps.
I'm grateful for this much, but now I've seen how well my 1020 is running these latest builds, and after reports of it running Redstone even better (with a registry hack), it does give me the impression that MS took a decision that was unnecessary (could have offered Redstone on a voluntary basis), which cost them a lot of goodwill again, and has fragmented the Windows Phone market unnecessarily. Sure, 500Mb devices struggle with W10M, but 1020 has 2Gb and runs this Threshold build better than some people's 950s.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm grateful for this much, but now I've seen how well my 1020 is running these latest builds, and after reports of it running Redstone even better (with a registry hack), it does give me the impression that MS took a decision that was unnecessary (could have offered Redstone on a voluntary basis), which cost them a lot of goodwill again, and has fragmented the Windows Phone market unnecessarily. Sure, 500Mb devices struggle with W10M, but 1020 has 2Gb and runs this Threshold build better than some people's 950s.

1GB of the RAM is reserved for Camera on 1020, but certainly the higher end dual core and 1GB RAM devices might do well under W10M (like 1020, 925, 928...) It may have been a bit of a rash decision by Msft, but we appear to be stuck with it. :(

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Even on the latest threshold build I still get random resets on my single sim 950XL. One right now, I just finished texting a person and pressed the lock button; screen goes black, Microsoft logo. Phone isn't hot and nothing else was running aside from messaging. It's done this a few times, and it's somewhat frustrating because I tend to lose the text just sent if I don't have message backup turned on...

sriram prabhu

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I don't wanna move to Red stone Builds as i will not be able to come back in case i face some issues, due to that Backup issue in that redstone build.
Also i tried resetting my phone, battery issue seems to be resolved but still my phone still gets restarted every now and then. that too exactly during some urgent times :crying::crying:
Should i try release preview builds or still recommend Red Stone Builds? If so, how good is Red stone Builds on Lumia 950 XL, need some serious help guys.

Ahmad Wahid1

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I have a lumia 550 with build 10586.420. I have noticed the following bugs/issues in it:
1. The phone is getting significantly hot on this build while it was normal on previous build.
2. The battery is draining pretty fast as compared to last build. Yes, i have stopped background apps and everything is similar like it was in previous build. I am getting 14-16 hours of battery backup with 4-5 hours on wifi and screen on
3. The proximity sensor can be seen as active, continuously, (small red dot) which was not the case with last build.
P.S. I performed a reset after upgrading to this build so, its not being caused due to upgrade.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else notice streaming radio-type services now stutter or repeated cut out since .420? I've experienced it with iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and occasionally even with my own music in Groove. Sometimes the stuttering goes away on its own after 20 minutes or so, but that's hit or miss. Closing all apps from the Task screen and even rebooting the phone does not help. I'm running the non-Insider .420 build on a dual-SIM 950XL.

Ndevs X

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello! Help me please, I want to update unsupported Lumia 630 to Windows 10 Mobile Release Preview Ring but I'm not able to do this. Windows Insider app tells me "No builds" make sure your device is supported. I want to try this update, help me :(

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello! Help me please, I want to update unsupported Lumia 630 to Windows 10 Mobile Release Preview Ring but I'm not able to do this. Windows Insider app tells me "No builds" make sure your device is supported. I want to try this update, help me :(

Lumia 630 IS supported, if you are in 8.1 search in Store thew app Windows Upgrade Advisor

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 630 IS supported, if you are in 8.1 search in Store thew app Windows Upgrade Advisor

630 is not supported.My son got it through Insider Release Preview Ring in May 2016 when he could not get it through Upgrade Advisor in March and in April he was told 'No Builds ...." through Insider like Ndevs X.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
630 is not supported.My son got it through Insider Release Preview Ring in May 2016 when he could not get it through Upgrade Advisor in March and in April he was told 'No Builds ...." through Insider like Ndevs X.

The reason "may" be that your carrier has not approved the upgrade.
I had the same experience with my Lumia 1520 and ATT as carrier till last week when ATT released the update to 1520's and then the Upgrade Advisor found the update and installed it. The Upgrade Advisor found no updates till ATT released the update then all happened normaooy/

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If your phone is on the eligible list and not waiting for carrier approval (branded phones) use Upgrade Advisor to get the Official release (RTM).

If you use Insider on the Release Ring, the same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

If your phone is not on the supported list, then 10586.xxx (Threshold) is the end of the line. You may as well use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

If your phone is on the eligible list and you go Insider and stay on the Release ring you get the next public version early as Release ring in effect is the RTM. This will deliver the most stable Redstone builds to you earlier than OTA push with minimal risk.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: Windows Device Recovery Tool FAQ

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying those of us on (unbranded) valid phones should be getting RTM now? That's what I'm getting from reading this, but I haven't seen a MS announcement, and .456 seems to be the latest, for Release Preview, currently.
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying those of us on (unbranded) valid phones should be getting RTM now? That's what I'm getting from reading this, but I haven't seen a MS announcement, and .456 seems to be the latest, for Release Preview, currently.
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly?

When Redstone 1 goes RTM (and it has not yet...) I think (just my opinion as it follows the pattern) that Release Ring might see the build slightly ahead of Production/Official. This gives Microsoft some more telemetry to get a jump on fixes as OEM's and Carriers look at it and before it rolls out system wide as an OTA.

Right now Release gets "previews" of patches for Threshold... No reason I can see to assume it won't get a "preview" of Redstone.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
When Redstone 1 goes RTM (and it has not yet...) I think (just my opinion as it follows the pattern) that Release Ring might see the build slightly ahead of Production/Official. This gives Microsoft some more telemetry to get a jump on fixes as OEM's and Carriers look at it and before it rolls out system wide as an OTA.

Right now Release gets "previews" of patches for Threshold... No reason I can see to assume it won't get a "preview" of Redstone.

Okay, makes more sense, this is how I figured it would roll out, from past experience too.
I thought you were saying that RP was getting RS1 builds "now". I see now that you're just letting people know that if they're on carrier phones, they can get around the (potentially enormous) waiting period.

I"m curious to see where our 1020 and HTC M8 park on, build-wise. I sure hope HTC gets with it, and makes good on their initial promise of delivering "windows next" for this phone, it's more than capable and usable (so is the 1020, realistically though).
I'd really like to avoid having to buy two new phones, if my wife and daughter decide they want Redstone, if the M8 moved on, it would make it a lot easier.

G-erm

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I updated my Lumia 640 LTE recently to WM10.

The process was hard reset->upgrade to WM10->hard reset->update to 10586.420.

The problem is, when I use my finger to scroll in certain apps(Store, MSN Weather, MSN News, Windows Feedback), I notice a strong stutter. It not just looks unsmooth, the screen jumps up and down, sometimes quiet pronounced. As soon as I lift my finger off the display, scrolling becomes smooth again.

Today I reported the problem via Windows Feedback. I also noticed other users experienced the problem a while ago.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I updated my Lumia 640 LTE recently to WM10.

The process was hard reset->upgrade to WM10->hard reset->update to 10586.420.

The problem is, when I use my finger to scroll in certain apps(Store, MSN Weather, MSN News, Windows Feedback), I notice a strong stutter. It not just looks unsmooth, the screen jumps up and down, sometimes quiet pronounced. As soon as I lift my finger off the display, scrolling becomes smooth again.

Today I reported the problem via Windows Feedback. I also noticed other users experienced the problem a while ago.

Usually it means a heavly busy cpu. Are you experiencing overheating, battery draining, data conneting? Check Settings -> Battery -> Show use per app

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
The reason "may" be that your carrier has not approved the upgrade.
I had the same experience with my Lumia 1520 and ATT as carrier till last week when ATT released the update to 1520's and then the Upgrade Advisor found the update and installed it. The Upgrade Advisor found no updates till ATT released the update then all happened normaooy/

Lumia 630 has 512 mb ram and is not supported for official W10 release.
Carrier approval is not required in my country India.All phones are unlocked ones.
1520 is a supported phone for official W10 release.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 630 has 512 mb ram and is not supported for official W10 release.
Carrier approval is not required in my country India.All phones are unlocked ones.
1520 is a supported phone for official W10 release.

if your device is the 512MB version, then no, you cannot get windows 10 mobile officially or through insider as the insider option for closed off for 512MB phones some time back

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
if your device is the 512MB version, then no, you cannot get windows 10 mobile officially or through insider as the insider option for closed off for 512MB phones some time back

Insider option was available during May 2016 for some days after not being available in April .My son got W10 through Release Preview ring in May on his unsupported 630 DS with 512 MB ram . Right now his phone is on Production Ring 10586.420 and works fine with good battery life too.Battery life on his 630(1800 mah) is better than on my 535DS (1905 mah) which is a supported phone with W10 10586.420
However Redstone will not be available for 630

waljbt

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I updated my Lumia 1520 to Windows mobile 10 (official build 10586.420) a few days ago. I actually did a clean install. I'm very happy with my overall experience. I just noticed two bugs. One of these is really annoying me. The first bug is that sometimes whenever I try to type my pin code after unlocking the screen, a single press result in registering multiple presses. This happened a few times but as I previously mentioned it doesn't really annoy me as the following bug. During the week I have been using this version of WM this happened three times: I unlock my device and there's absolutely no audio at all. In other words, no call sound, no alerts, no system sounds, nothing! and whenever I try to play a YouTube video or any kind of videos even the ones stored on my device I get the message "video couldn't be decoded". I then restart my device and everything is back to normal for a few days. What really annoys is that I don't know what really triggers this 2nd bug so I can avoid it in the future :cry:. Did anyone else face such an issue? Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb