Messenger ( beta ) updated and available in the US Region.

DavidTheGiant

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
So i switched my region today to United States and to my surprise Messenger ( beta ) is now available there. And it's an updated messenger also. So far these are the changes I've found:

- Smoother animations.
- "Recent" changed into "Home" just like in iOS.
- No more stuttering when scrolling in the "Camera roll" which is a really good thing.
- Less crashing.
- Built in browser so it doesn't have to redirect to Microsoft Edge when opening links.

These are the changes I've noticed so far. And it keeps getting better and better. ❤

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Looks like not available in the UK, well for me at least.

Any one else in the uk had any luck?

Edit:

I was able to re-install it by quickly tapping the install button as the store was loading before it greyed out on me. (By using the download link in the windows central app). Although a store search only shows the old messenger app not the new beta app.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I was able to re-install it by quickly tapping the install button as the store was loading before it greyed out on me. (By using the download link in the windows central app). Although a store search only shows the old messenger app not the new beta app.

I've tried that so many times (for other apps), and it worked exactly 0 times. I am impressed.

Btw yea, the app is kinda crappy. But what annoys me the most is the fact that it's just a refurbished iOS app, with no optimisation for Windows, especially Windows 10, and build uppon their stupid principles. I mean yea, MS brags that there's live tiles n "all the good Windows stuff" but that's just BS. The live tile mostly shows nonsense, and that's about it. No rich notifications, no quick reply, no transparent tiles, no UWP design. Even when you open a website the options show you 'open in Safari'.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've tried that so many times (for other apps), and it worked exactly 0 times. I am impressed.

Btw yea, the app is kinda crappy. But what annoys me the most is the fact that it's just a refurbished iOS app, with no optimisation for Windows, especially Windows 10, and build uppon their stupid principles. I mean yea, MS brags that there's live tiles n "all the good Windows stuff" but that's just BS. The live tile mostly shows nonsense, and that's about it. No rich notifications, no quick reply, no transparent tiles, no UWP design. Even when you open a website the options show you 'open in Safari'.

Well given Facebook used Osmeta to port.

I wonder what would have happened if Microsoft also bought Osmeta.

Would we still have got the half ported albeit useable app on WM10?

Most probably not...:grincry:

The UX annoys me to no end as well however right now it's at least a foot through the door which is better than that cruddy beta that has been stuck in beta phase ad-infinitum.

The only unique thing I noticed about it is that it has an animated small live tile :confused::excited:.

It shows the last message received and last image of the person you last talked to.

So who knows how this app may evolve.

Beercules

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
There is a news, that there was Messenger (beta) update via wcentral.com. But I cannot find any of that update.... Nor in my region, nor in the USA region.
Also, can find how to check which version of program I have at the moment...

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
There is a news, that there was Messenger (beta) update via wcentral.com. But I cannot find any of that update.... Nor in my region, nor in the USA region.
Also, can find how to check which version of program I have at the moment...

If you're on redstone, your 'Check for updates' button may be bugged. Go to the app page and then it will show that there's an update. As for the version checking, you can't check from within the app, but you can go to the store, then downloads, wait a bit, and then the latest app updates that you've installed will show up. Find Messenger (beta) and you'll see the version number bellow.

Beercules

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I am not on the Redstone, I am on preview ring. Maybe that is the case and I got those updates before? Because I am not getting that new Maps update neither (on the news yesterday/today). And I cannot find a way to check version via Store, nor in the downloads, nor in the library. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6