Anyway to stay on a build?

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Is there any way to stay on a build? I feel that, like iOS, I should be able to stay on a build - mainly because there will be issues at some points and I may just want to hold off upgrading. I am reliant upon my phone for authentication (i.e. the authenticator apps) so for me to stay back sometimes would be good, or at least to have that option.

Thanks!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Is there any way to stay on a build? I feel that, like iOS, I should be able to stay on a build - mainly because there will be issues at some points and I may just want to hold off upgrading. I am reliant upon my phone for authentication (i.e. the authenticator apps) so for me to stay back sometimes would be good, or at least to have that option.

Thanks!

usually if you don't check for updates, it won't download any - this is from my experience

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks!

usually if you don't check for updates, it won't download any - this is from my experience
Also, check background apps to see if update is enabled - disable it

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
But, unless I am mistaken, by opting out of insider you stay on the current build you are in, correct?

Yep, you'll stay on the current build, unless they push one from Release Preview->Release.
If you have it update set for "notify to schedule", then you'll just start getting nags about updating, but I'm pretty sure there's a setting, somewhere, to disable those (bad idea in general though, could be critical security fixes in Release branch).

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
But, unless I am mistaken, by opting out of insider you stay on the current build you are in, correct?

mmm if you're on RS builds today and opt out you will stop there forever unless there's a timebomb on mobile builds just like on pc, but being on release preview means you will eventually get whatever big update they release like TH or RS, unless your phone is deemed not worthy

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
mmm if you're on RS builds today and opt out you will stop there forever unless there's a timebomb on mobile builds just like on pc, but being on release preview means you will eventually get whatever big update they release like TH or RS, unless your phone is deemed not worthy

I'm happy on the Fast Ring, the OP was looking to stay on a particular build; I just wanted to make sure that my advise was accurate. Thanks EspHack, and PGrey for your input.

Cheers!

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Correct, you'll stay until the next major release.
You can opt-out (and as someone mentioned, there's a permanent opt-out setting, not advised) manually, and "park" on a build, but by doing so, you commit to also NOT getting whatever security fixes are forward of the latest major released build.
In other words, once they do a key release, the security patches apply to that release, and (except in rare cases) aren't rolled back into previous milestones.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I know that when I first joined the insider program I would watch the feedback for a day or two on a new build before I would jump in...then I would immediately go back to the Production Build, so that I would not progress to a NEW build until I had a chance to read the feedback first. I did this because I was using my only phone, and needed it for directions, emails, SMS, and phone calls of course, everything else was not really that important. I just didn't know if you could still do that, or not? Because, now I look forward to the next release, and jump into the deep end as fast as I can (whether or not I have my bathing suit on, or not:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos