New Lyft commercial

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I just saw this new commercial for lyft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GFUN3GrHY

I can't believe that they can hire actors, a zebra, giraffe and simulate a literal 10 car pileup to create a commercial but can't be bothered to make an app for Windows users. I use Uber simply because it's the only option, so Lyft is missing out on lots of potential business.

So I tweeted several of their accounts and would appreciate it if anyone here that has twitter will retweet and like it. Here is the link.

https://twitter.com/msanders81/status/744300083034750976

Thanks!

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe so many people want rides from overtired strangers working at playing taxi driver and ignoring sleep required to function properly while operating in a largely un-regulated, un-inspected and un-controlled manner...

But then again, I just don't buy into most of the "gotta have stuff" that seems to have latched onto the public consciousness these last few years.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Acting and computer graphics skills don't exactly translate to Windows development you know!
Lyft probably has made the decision not to bother, so Uber gets the Windows users I guess. I'd love to see statistics actually.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I can't believe so many people want rides from overtired strangers working at playing taxi driver and ignoring sleep required to function properly while operating in a largely un-regulated, un-inspected and un-controlled manner...

But then again, I just don't buy into most of the "gotta have stuff" that seems to have latched onto the public consciousness these last few years.

It can be usually cheaper than taxis are.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

"Overtired strangers"? That's a pretty blanket statement. Quite possible that taxi drivers are overtired, too, even if they are regulated and are supposed to get X # of hours of sleep. As for "playing taxi driver", I've had some terrible taxi drivers (as far as driving skills are concerned) and had good Uber drivers, too. Had good taxi drivers and bad Uber drivers. All relative to the individual driving.

And yes, they're largely unregulated and inspected. Regulation isn't always a good thing: it may unnecessarily drive up costs. And I'm not saying that all regulation is bad, either. My concern is that regulation is usually a way for government to unnecessarily stick it's nose where it's not needed - mostly so they can get a hold of other people's money. Frankly, if taxi companies hadn't been so slow to innovate the way Uber and Lyft have, Uber and Lyft wouldn't have started.

In Phoenix (out in the suburbs), the few times I've tried to call for a cab, I get told it'll be 20 or more minutes before they can get someone to me. Uber? There in 5-10 minutes.

I love the disruptive innovation of companies like Lyft and Uber.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
"Overtired strangers"? That's a pretty blanket statement. Quite possible that taxi drivers are overtired, too, even if they are regulated and are supposed to get X # of hours of sleep. As for "playing taxi driver", I've had some terrible taxi drivers (as far as driving skills are concerned) and had good Uber drivers, too. Had good taxi drivers and bad Uber drivers. All relative to the individual driving.

And yes, they're largely unregulated and inspected. Regulation isn't always a good thing: it may unnecessarily drive up costs. And I'm not saying that all regulation is bad, either. My concern is that regulation is usually a way for government to unnecessarily stick it's nose where it's not needed - mostly so they can get a hold of other people's money. Frankly, if taxi companies hadn't been so slow to innovate the way Uber and Lyft have, Uber and Lyft wouldn't have started.

In Phoenix (out in the suburbs), the few times I've tried to call for a cab, I get told it'll be 20 or more minutes before they can get someone to me. Uber? There in 5-10 minutes.

I love the disruptive innovation of companies like Lyft and Uber.

I like everything you said except, in this case Lyft and Uber are "regulation" from the Wallstreet with that 20% cut. Which is generally a higher rate than regulation from the goverment.
But hey it could be worse, we could have a regulated and publicly traded company.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get it. *shrug*

I've never once had the urge to Uber/Lyft or whatever. Taxis and Gypsy cabs have more oversight. Sure they are not 100% safe and guaranteed. My impression of the Uber System (and competitors), however, is that these are drivers operating as a 2nd or 3rd job and that the pressure comes from the top down to accept every assignment no matter what with little regard to anything other than the $.

Yep, they've made money for people and saved money for people. This is not a top priority on my list. Public safety on the roadways is much higher a priority for me. Automobiles are so much a part of society that we often ignore just what a deadly force it always remains when improperly and irresponsibly used.

I just don't trust it. YMMV

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I used Uber my last trip to San Jose, Ca exclusively, and loved it...what a delightful experience - I even had one guy help me, above and beyond, with a bunch a packages I had to bring to the UPS Depot. Actually, I only had one guy from Uber, during the whole trip, that got on my nerves; but he was no where near as bad as the one ride from the airport, to the hotel, as the guy in the taxi - and he charged 4 times as much as Uber would have - I would never had taken the taxi...but, of course my 950XL was having a moment. (Grrrrr!)

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
its obvious the OP has never ran a business... Why would Lyft spend the time to enable THOUSANDS to use their service? Thousands vs multiple MILLIONS, I know where my focus would be. Stop with the entitlement posts, we dont generate enough revenue.... yet. That may change in the nexty 2-5yrs. Until then, get used to it and focus on the apps we DO HAVE. A little bit of positive can go a long way publicly.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
its obvious the OP has never ran a business... Why would Lyft spend the time to enable THOUSANDS to use their service? Thousands vs multiple MILLIONS, I know where my focus would be. Stop with the entitlement posts, we dont generate enough revenue.... yet. That may change in the nexty 2-5yrs. Until then, get used to it and focus on the apps we DO HAVE. A little bit of positive can go a long way publicly.

To be fair... A UWP App is probably a good idea for a business like this. How many secretaries administrative assistants are sitting in front of a PC and have to book rides for people?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
To also be fair, fair point. That being said, Im sure they know we exist, and when they feel they can profit from any type of app on the Windows 10 platform, im sure they will. My main point was there is so much negativity toward Windows10m and, IMO, the vast majority is internal from its users. We seem to be about the only ones who care about the "app gap". And maybe, juuuuust maybeee, focusing on positive things about the platform, on public forums, may do us some good. The gap is closing, but will never be slammed shut. Sorry, your hometown bank likely wont be making an app, deal with it. And anything that can be used by businesses, and be profitable(not just convenience) for said businesses, will likely be added in the next bit of time.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
To also be fair, fair point. That being said, Im sure they know we exist, and when they feel they can profit from any type of app on the Windows 10 platform, im sure they will. My main point was there is so much negativity toward Windows10m and, IMO, the vast majority is internal from its users. We seem to be about the only ones who care about the "app gap". And maybe, juuuuust maybeee, focusing on positive things about the platform, on public forums, may do us some good. The gap is closing, but will never be slammed shut. Sorry, your hometown bank likely wont be making an app, deal with it. And anything that can be used by businesses, and be profitable(not just convenience) for said businesses, will likely be added in the next bit of time.

I agree business looks out for themselves and their bottom line, and would sell you out for a dollar "EVERY TIME". I also, understand that is why they are in business, BUT they also have a responsibility to the community, and like it or not, we are part of that community; if I had a family member that found themselves in a bad area, and was hurt (or worse) because a company didn't think they were important - well, lets just that the press would cost them FAR GREATER, than producing an app!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Uber can invest in including us, then so can all other companies that respect their responsibilities. Sure, W10M is a moving target, but they could at least make an effort, and show that our business is of value to them; I would even be happy if they just said "Windows App available soon". BUT, to blatantly exclude us DOES NOT SIT WELL! I will assure you that if, and when, the two are available in the same market, I will choose the UBER Service - not first, BUT ONLY! (and that goes for ANY "company" that choose to feel we are not important to them).

Yes, this "IS" a SORE SPOT with me.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I agree business looks out for themselves and their bottom line, and would sell you out for a dollar "EVERY TIME". I also, understand that is why they are in business, BUT they also have a responsibility to the community, and like it or not, we are part of that community; if I had a family member that found themselves in a bad area, and was hurt (or worse) because a company didn't think they were important - well, lets just that the press would cost them FAR GREATER, than producing an app!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Uber can invest in including us, then so can all other companies that respect their responsibilities. Sure, W10M is a moving target, but they could at least make an effort, and show that our business is of value to them; I would even be happy if they just said "Windows App available soon". BUT, to blatantly exclude us DOES NOT SIT WELL! I will assure you that if, and when, the two are available in the same market, I will choose the UBER Service - not first, BUT ONLY! (and that goes for ANY "company" that choose to feel we are not important to them).

Yes, this "IS" a SORE SPOT with me.

Good points. The one counter point I will offer is whos to say Uber hasnt already stopped supporting the app. Yes, it works, but so does Ebay's, PayPal which is going away but wasnt updated for a loooong time, along with many others. Our store is littered with deserted apps that may still work, but arent updated anymore. So Uber, at one time, supported us. We do not know 100% that they still do, even though they "updated" it a couple months back. Just playing devils advocate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte