Lumia 930 or Lumia 650

TrickyDee42

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Title says it all guys.

Can pick up both sim free for about the same price.

Which do you think is better for WM10?

I know 930 is a lot more powerful, but read bout a few bugs with mics etc.

Thoughts?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Title says it all guys.

Can pick up both sim free for about the same price.

Which do you think is better for WM10?

I know 930 is a lot more powerful, but read bout a few bugs with mics etc.

Thoughts?

I'm wondering how you're getting both at the same price

With the 930 you have the benefit of better specs as you've said and the mic issue has mostly been sorted out for most users. The 650 has a smaller battery so it doesn't last that long unless you know how to optimise your usage.

TrickyDee42

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
930 would not be new, or open box. Can get a like new for about the same, not much in it.

Bigger battery on 930, but more power intensive, life about same?

Is the mic a flaw, or a software bug that will get fixed.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The mic issue is a hardware fault. You should totally test all of them before buying, or maybe buying it with a warranty and send it to MS to repair. Software updates or resets won't fix it, and unfortunately it's common among 930s. There are some apps and softwares you can use to test them.

About the battery, I don't know about the 650, but the 930 running W10M doesn't last so long for me, at least not in its current version. Light use last me through the day, but if I push it a little harder it'll run out of juice before the day is over. If you're into gaming, lots of browsing or use 3G/4G a lot, be ready to charge your phone twice a day... Edge is very power hungry for me.
The rest, it's a very solid phone, superb camera, fantastic screen, great performance, etc. I just hope they get the battery use right.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
650, little battery for a powerful new-gen low eating cpu.

And, don't forget it, 650 got regular firmware updates, like 550 and 950. Others, nope.
For all the remaining part, it's a fantastic phone, first of all the oled screen.
Only thing it misses, the compass

whereismydamnphone

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I think the lumia 930 is way better overall:
Nokia Lumia 930 vs. Microsoft Lumia 650 - GSMArena.com

The camera alone puts the lumia 930 well above the lumia 650
The Lumia 930 has more sensors, better display, double the ram. It packs more punch so unless microsoft's coders are stupid, i don't see how it might not run W10 better and smoothier than the lumia 650.

only advantages i can see in the l650 over l930:
- Glance screen
- Better FFC
- MicroSd Slot
- Maybe better battery life

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
no contest here, 930 even if it lacks glance is just another league, if I had to bet im sure the 930 will outlive the 650 regarding major windows updates due to its raw performance, and its just a better device in any imaginable way other than glance

Beercules

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
As I am using 930 I got to check my friends 650. As I could say - I expected more from 650. The design is beautiful, but still, feels a little bit cheap in the hand. Probably because I got used to 930 weight (which is heavy). Anyway, 650 is running smoothly as it should.

If I had to choose one today, I probably look for 950, Alcatel or HP. 930 is too old and 650 is too weak. :)
But I am using my 930 and will do that for a long time with smile. Love that phone.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It's a tough decision. I've been carrying around both for three weeks now, switching sims, forwarding calls from one to the other trying to decide which I want to make my main phone. I loved the 930 but I've been having problems with it. I'm on the Fast Ring with both and the past few builds the 930 has had overheating problems and shortened battery life.

But that's not the only variable. I've come to really really like having Glance screen on the 650. I used to think it was no big deal at all, but it is surprisingly useful and I'd hate to give it up. Also the 650 is pleasantly a lot lighter. And in the US you can get LTE on ATT and Cricket which the 930 can't. Then there is the ability to add additional memory on the 650 for programs, music photos etc. And now, finally, Wallet 2 which works on the 650 but not on the 930.

The 930 has the better camera and screen, but in day to day use, I'm finding that the 650 is just the more useful and easier to carry around.

As I said, I've been carrying both around but for the past week or so I've been using the 650 as my daily phone and relegated my 930 to taking photos and as a GPS in the car (in which use it can really heat up).

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
And what is your experience about 650 battery life? How long does it last with average daily usage? :)

A whole work day for me , 14 to 18 hrs btw a lot of messagin, some calls, an afternoon of music streaming, some Edge .
Now I noticed a Whatsapp update , the first since 1 year, let's see if they fix the terryble draining during chats

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The 930 is a better device, but the 650 is newer (thus getting more support) and prettier. I'd probably go for the 930, though you won't see it being too much better.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
@Beercules, it wouldn't really be fair to compare battery on th 650 vs 930 right now because I'm carrying and using both and tend to use the 930 less but for more battery intensive purposes. However, before, the 650 had better battery life. Certainly got me through the day and early evening until I plugged it in to charge. Kinda depends on how you use it.

But that come to think of it is another difference between the two: the 930 could use the wireless charger.

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
nice thread guys and if you can please read my post in this link:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...uy-new-phone-but-not-upgrade.html#post3519148

@mch48 what you really miss in the 930? I use it since the release date and I'm just afraid to get a low end that i'll regret later. I'm waiting for something from alcatel or wait for a price drop of the Acer jade primo.

If there is something big i'll miss in 930 (beside the camera) please tell me. I think i'm going to get a temp alcatel android and suffer with it better than missing something nice in 930 and feel regret not getting 930 again.

btw, I suffered from battery drain and overheating with 930 and I hope I don't get that with 650. I use my phone heavly and I want the battery not draining too fast :kiss:

TrickyDee42

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I finally went for a 650. Unlocked, second hand like new of ebay ?70.

Liking it so far, will get full upgrade to Anniversary update, battery seems great, my 925 WP10 discharged at 2.4-2.8% per hour on standby, 650 1.1% per hour.

Everything slightly faster than 925, not a lot in it, but a bit snappier.

New update out today, will see how this affects battery.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
ali80, you won't have the 930 camera (or a separate side camera button) and you won't have "Hey Cortana". For me the 650 camera, while not fantastic, is more than adequate. And wonderful and revolutionary as Hey Cortana is, I found that I just rarely talked to my phone. It was useful sometimes in the car but not as much as I'd hoped. Often in the car Cortana couldn't hear me, or she "wasn't talking to the internet" and her reminders weren't as useful to me as ones I put in my Calendar with an alarm. I'd miss many of them.

By contrast, I really do like the thinness and lightness of the 650 and the Glance screen is far more useful to me far more often then Hey Cortana (which I can still access from the screen). Plus the 650 has Wallet. In the 930 you can't use credit cards only loyalty cards. If you're not in the US that may not be a feature that you can use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss