Sudden Increase in Quality Apps?

JoshuaLycan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
First time poster, but long time Windows Mobile/Phone/Mobile user.

I stepped away from the platform about a year ago when it felt like even the supportive community was starting to have doubts. My daily driver iPhone was unexpectedly damaged last week, so I dusted off my unlocked Lumia 640 and reactivated it on my T-Mobile line.

To my surprise many apps that had been missing just a short time ago were present. My bank had a new and very polished app, and I was surprised to find apps for services like Steam that I could swear weren't there before. Now I see Starbucks is coming out with a new app for the platform.

Just seems to me like the quality and support for some of these apps are improving. Anyone else agree/disagree?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
YOU ABANDONED US WHEN WE NEEDED YOU MOST!!!!

ok just kidding :winktongue: but yes the one-platform and ports are starting to pay off..

Apps are slowly trickling in, but it's getting there

Edit: WELCOME BACK (for now lol) and congrats on the first post :)

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Traitor.
But yeh, it's getting better now. Kinda.. I mean for me personally it's all the same - I don't care at all about apps other than Facebook, Messenger and maybe a few others (apart from the OS and System apps like Camera, Edge, etc), since I really don't see myself ever using Steam, and other apps on my phone.

JoshuaLycan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! I'm actually looking to stay. :smile:
Although this Lumia 640 is feeling a bit old. Maybe need to look into an unlock Lumia 950. :)

JoshuaLycan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Traitor.
But yeh, it's getting better now. Kinda.. I mean for me personally it's all the same - I don't care at all about apps other than Facebook, Messenger and maybe a few others (apart from the OS and System apps like Camera, Edge, etc), since I really don't see myself ever using Steam, and other apps on my phone.

Is there a scarlet "T" I need to wear around the forums until I prove myself again? ;)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Welcome back. You're right, the ship is slowly righting itself again. Banks and other major apps are finding their way back to Windows mobile.

I recently got myself a Lumia 950 and am quite enjoying it. Got my Mozo leather back in the mail today so it's really spruced up now!

JoshuaLycan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Welcome back. You're right, the ship is slowly righting itself again. Banks and other major apps are finding their way back to Windows mobile.

I recently got myself a Lumia 950 and am quite enjoying it. Got my Mozo leather back in the mail today so it's really spruced up now!

The Lumia 950 is very tempting. I like the 640, but feel an increase in RAM and processor speed would greatly improve the experience. I will look into that Mozo back as well. :)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 950 is very tempting. I like the 640, but feel an increase in RAM and processor speed would greatly improve the experience. I will look into that Mozo back as well. :)

I have both. I really like the 640, it does quite well on W10M even though it is an inexpensive device. The 950 is just more powerful.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Welcome back! Always good to have an extra fan of WM.

I had, and still have, and loved my 640XL but went with a 950XL with no regrets - even on the Insider fast ring program!

It's great that major applications are also finally coming to the platform too.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I'm actually looking to stay. :smile:
Although this Lumia 640 is feeling a bit old. Maybe need to look into an unlock Lumia 950. :)

if the phone has no slow downs or issues, just use it. It's a solid piece of hardware. For sure it will last long since you haven't used it for some time

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Is there a scarlet "T" I need to wear around the forums until I prove myself again? ;)

Just messing with ya :D we have had a few members returning since w10m started to gain some traction.

I understand what you mean when you say that a "bump in RAM" would increase the joy of using the OS.

Actually contemplating throwing my 640 to the slow ring instead of the release preview. Don't see any showstopping bugs on my other phone so maybe.. not sure yet.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Welcome back. I've been a long time Windows user (of all kind). And i think Windows 10 is the greatest Windows yet.
Hope you stay for now :)

vincenzo_abete

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Maybe a few major ones are arriving / are there, but I can tell you that 90% of TV ads (UK) that say download the app do not have one for Windows. Even the ones that have an official app sometimes don't mention it!
And don't forget the big ones that have already left (Paypal, Amazon). Don't say they might come as UWP apps... You don't know that yet and it's pure speculation at this point.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The Amazon app for WP was garbage. I don't mind a terrible app being pulled because I think it's better to not have it than to have it. I still wonder what's up with apps anyway. What's wrong with mobile web sites? (Of course games and other experiences that can't exist outside of the web I understand as apps)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I think that we will be seeing A LOT of APPS on the Windows ecosystem shortly after the Anniversary Release of W10, 1st; because more confidence in the OS, 2nd; and more important, developers will not longer have to try and hit a moving target.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Maybe a few major ones are arriving / are there, but I can tell you that 90% of TV ads (UK) that say download the app do not have one for Windows. Even the ones that have an official app sometimes don't mention it!
And don't forget the big ones that have already left (Paypal, Amazon). Don't say they might come as UWP apps... You don't know that yet and it's pure speculation at this point.

Thanks for the speculation.

vincenzo_abete

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
The Amazon app for WP was garbage. I don't mind a terrible app being pulled because I think it's better to not have it than to have it. I still wonder what's up with apps anyway. What's wrong with mobile web sites? (Of course games and other experiences that can't exist outside of the web I understand as apps)

Completely agree with you that the Amazon app was rubbish, but still it's a major player that leaves the platform and it does not look good. The general user doesn't care if it will come in the future or not, but sure enough he has searched for it, couldn't find it and most likely won't search for it again...
About the apps, if they exist there must be a reason don't you think? They just make things easier and I have never seen anybody complaining that there is an app for a service anyway. I would worry more about their absence in the store than what it is their real purpose.

I for example, maybe for lack of imagination, can't see how a bot to order a pizza is better than picking up the phone and call the guy behind the counter, but nonetheless I am happy they are developing one. Different people like different things...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows mobile is focusing first on enterprise. While I agree that certain apps bring clout, it's the banking apps, etc. that will really matter. We have to give it time, more and more apps are arriving. Pokemon Go probably won't be one of them but I doubt that will matter much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo