07-15-2016 04:46 PM
28 12
tools
    First time poster, but long time Windows Mobile/Phone/Mobile user.

I stepped away from the platform about a year ago when it felt like even the supportive community was starting to have doubts. My daily driver iPhone was unexpectedly damaged last week, so I dusted off my unlocked Lumia 640 and reactivated it on my T-Mobile line.

To my surprise many apps that had been missing just a short time ago were present. My bank had a new and very polished app, and I was surprised to find apps for services like Steam that I could swear weren't there before. Now I see Starbucks is coming out with a new app for the platform.

Just seems to me like the quality and support for some of these apps are improving. Anyone else agree/disagree?
    ven07, ananve, libra89 and 6 others like this.
    07-01-2016 10:47 AM
    YOU ABANDONED US WHEN WE NEEDED YOU MOST!!!!

ok just kidding but yes the one-platform and ports are starting to pay off..

Apps are slowly trickling in, but it's getting there

Edit: WELCOME BACK (for now lol) and congrats on the first post :)
    07-01-2016 11:20 AM
    Traitor.
    But yeh, it's getting better now. Kinda.. I mean for me personally it's all the same - I don't care at all about apps other than Facebook, Messenger and maybe a few others (apart from the OS and System apps like Camera, Edge, etc), since I really don't see myself ever using Steam, and other apps on my phone.
    JoshuaLycan, ven07 and ananve like this.
    07-01-2016 11:40 AM
    Thanks! I'm actually looking to stay.
    Although this Lumia 640 is feeling a bit old. Maybe need to look into an unlock Lumia 950. :)
    07-01-2016 11:46 AM
    Traitor.
    But yeh, it's getting better now. Kinda.. I mean for me personally it's all the same - I don't care at all about apps other than Facebook, Messenger and maybe a few others (apart from the OS and System apps like Camera, Edge, etc), since I really don't see myself ever using Steam, and other apps on my phone.
    Is there a scarlet "T" I need to wear around the forums until I prove myself again? ;)
    07-01-2016 11:47 AM
    Welcome back. You're right, the ship is slowly righting itself again. Banks and other major apps are finding their way back to Windows mobile.

I recently got myself a Lumia 950 and am quite enjoying it. Got my Mozo leather back in the mail today so it's really spruced up now!
    07-01-2016 03:52 PM
    Welcome back. You're right, the ship is slowly righting itself again. Banks and other major apps are finding their way back to Windows mobile.

I recently got myself a Lumia 950 and am quite enjoying it. Got my Mozo leather back in the mail today so it's really spruced up now!
    The Lumia 950 is very tempting. I like the 640, but feel an increase in RAM and processor speed would greatly improve the experience. I will look into that Mozo back as well. :)
    ananve, ven07 and libra89 like this.
    07-01-2016 06:00 PM
    The Lumia 950 is very tempting. I like the 640, but feel an increase in RAM and processor speed would greatly improve the experience. I will look into that Mozo back as well. :)
    I have both. I really like the 640, it does quite well on W10M even though it is an inexpensive device. The 950 is just more powerful.
    ven07, ananve and JoshuaLycan like this.
    07-01-2016 06:07 PM
    Welcome back! Always good to have an extra fan of WM.

I had, and still have, and loved my 640XL but went with a 950XL with no regrets - even on the Insider fast ring program!

It's great that major applications are also finally coming to the platform too.
    ven07 and ananve like this.
    07-02-2016 08:09 AM
    Thanks! I'm actually looking to stay.
    Although this Lumia 640 is feeling a bit old. Maybe need to look into an unlock Lumia 950. :)
    if the phone has no slow downs or issues, just use it. It's a solid piece of hardware. For sure it will last long since you haven't used it for some time
    07-02-2016 09:14 AM
    Is there a scarlet "T" I need to wear around the forums until I prove myself again? ;)
    Just messing with ya :D we have had a few members returning since w10m started to gain some traction.

I understand what you mean when you say that a "bump in RAM" would increase the joy of using the OS.

Actually contemplating throwing my 640 to the slow ring instead of the release preview. Don't see any showstopping bugs on my other phone so maybe.. not sure yet.
    ananve and Chintan Gohel like this.
    07-02-2016 03:08 PM
    Welcome back. I've been a long time Windows user (of all kind). And i think Windows 10 is the greatest Windows yet.
    Hope you stay for now :)
    ven07 and rollindice like this.
    07-03-2016 10:13 AM
    Maybe a few major ones are arriving / are there, but I can tell you that 90% of TV ads (UK) that say download the app do not have one for Windows. Even the ones that have an official app sometimes don't mention it!
    And don't forget the big ones that have already left (Paypal, Amazon). Don't say they might come as UWP apps... You don't know that yet and it's pure speculation at this point.
    07-13-2016 05:40 AM
    The Amazon app for WP was garbage. I don't mind a terrible app being pulled because I think it's better to not have it than to have it. I still wonder what's up with apps anyway. What's wrong with mobile web sites? (Of course games and other experiences that can't exist outside of the web I understand as apps)
    libra89 likes this.
    07-13-2016 10:17 AM
    I think that we will be seeing A LOT of APPS on the Windows ecosystem shortly after the Anniversary Release of W10, 1st; because more confidence in the OS, 2nd; and more important, developers will not longer have to try and hit a moving target.
    07-13-2016 10:42 AM
    Maybe a few major ones are arriving / are there, but I can tell you that 90% of TV ads (UK) that say download the app do not have one for Windows. Even the ones that have an official app sometimes don't mention it!
    And don't forget the big ones that have already left (Paypal, Amazon). Don't say they might come as UWP apps... You don't know that yet and it's pure speculation at this point.
    Thanks for the speculation.
    07-13-2016 03:18 PM
    Thanks for the speculation.
    What is that supposed to mean?
    07-13-2016 05:35 PM
    You are living in an alternate universe. Ha ha ha Just joking. Glad you are enjoying your 640. :)
    vincenzo_abete likes this.
    07-13-2016 10:22 PM
    The Amazon app for WP was garbage. I don't mind a terrible app being pulled because I think it's better to not have it than to have it. I still wonder what's up with apps anyway. What's wrong with mobile web sites? (Of course games and other experiences that can't exist outside of the web I understand as apps)
    Completely agree with you that the Amazon app was rubbish, but still it's a major player that leaves the platform and it does not look good. The general user doesn't care if it will come in the future or not, but sure enough he has searched for it, couldn't find it and most likely won't search for it again...
    About the apps, if they exist there must be a reason don't you think? They just make things easier and I have never seen anybody complaining that there is an app for a service anyway. I would worry more about their absence in the store than what it is their real purpose.

I for example, maybe for lack of imagination, can't see how a bot to order a pizza is better than picking up the phone and call the guy behind the counter, but nonetheless I am happy they are developing one. Different people like different things...
    Scienceguy Labs and libra89 like this.
    07-14-2016 03:42 AM
    Windows mobile is focusing first on enterprise. While I agree that certain apps bring clout, it's the banking apps, etc. that will really matter. We have to give it time, more and more apps are arriving. Pokemon Go probably won't be one of them but I doubt that will matter much.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-14-2016 04:19 PM
    The western world is talking about Pokmon, this App is a nice symbol for the actual status of Windows Phone.
    07-14-2016 04:45 PM
    The western world is talking about Pokmon, this App is a nice symbol for the actual status of Windows Phone.
    Western world talking only about Pokemon let me undestand more and more why aliens are still strugglin searching for intelligent life on earth
    zomby woof and melhiore like this.
    07-15-2016 02:37 AM
    I posted this info on another Tread, but I think it would be more appropriate here (sorry for the duplication).

Last night I stumbled across an app that had appeal and high-marks - So I thought I would download it, test the performance of my 950XL, and delete it....While I am hooked, this game is cool as heck (great graphics, smooth, fun to play), next time I am stuck somewhere for a short to medium length of time (or all day:), I will have another option to Netflix. The game is Sniper 3D Assassin: Shoot to Kill (sounds gruesome, I know), I think it's around 87M in size, but it is VERY well done; I had NO idea that I could get this kind of performance on a phone:)

Who needs a Banking app, when you have Sniper 3D";^)

No, I have no affiliation to the developer, other than admiration for a job "VERY" well done. IMHO!
    07-15-2016 07:36 AM
    Apps are coming, but users are leaving, which is shame to see. Latest Kantar report is showing big drop in global market share for Windows Mobile.
    Release of the W10M flagship was not timed well as the OS was half baked and didnt make the impact it should.

What I dont fully get is, why MS is still treating us based on region. Why should someone from let say Europe has less OS core features than eg in US? Why isn't Cortana available worldwide, even in English language same as Siri and GoogleNow is? Why Quiet Hours, Inner Circle work only with Cortana???
    That is something MS can do for us endusers and wont cost them anything. windows team should open eyes and finally listen to users.
    mtf1380 and libra89 like this.
    07-15-2016 08:07 AM
    I think this last year was a transitional period for Windows Mobile.

Yes we have lost some users over the last year (can't blame them), but I think we are picking up a lot of OEM phone manufacturers that will highlight the W10 ecosystem, and the competition should strengthen the appeal.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-15-2016 08:42 AM
28 12