UWP finally paying off dividends

Ketan Thakkar

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
With almost barrage of apps lined-up or already released (atleast in beta form), I think that the UWP strategy is finally making a whole lot of sense now. There is a renewed interest among developers for to be present on windows platform covering Desktop, Mobile, Xbox, Surface with Windows 10 doing really good by the sheer number of people it has reach through free upgrade. Of course we can’t deny that there are other also apps that are abandoning the platform but that doesn’t mean that they can’t come back. E.g. Amazon has definitely retired their windows phone app but never mentioned that they are leaving the platform completely and we are hoping that they might come back with a UWP for Windows 10. or for that matter Paypal is a classic example where it is almost sure of returning back to Windows after retiring there app. Also there are other OEMs launching there W10M (HP Elite, Alcatel & NuAns Neo). There’s whole lot of positive buzz around the Platform.

What needs to be seen is how guys at Microsoft take it further or just give up on the opportunity which is there to be grabbed by both the hands. Atleast not to make the stupid remarks like W10M is not the priority for us/ we don’t see future of W10M.

Sorry for my wishful thinking but wouldn't it be great if MS announces big bang UWP release along with Anniversary Update. Starbucks, PayPal (after all its goof ups), Facebook and other major apps all landing on 2nd Aug in a blitzkrieg. What a great PR story it would be with a jump start to W10M update and a great build up for Surface Phone launch.

Last edited:

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
For me, the real measure isn't what's happening right now. There's positive buzz around the UWP right now, but how will the platform be treated in a year or two? Will developers keep their apps updated, or will they stagnate like previous Windows apps? Will the apps have the same features as their iOS and Android versions, or will they lag behind?

I don't mean to be overly negative, but there are some apps that only make sense on mobile. Banking apps for instance make sense on mobile because using a mobile web browser to deposit checks and transfer money is frustrating. Using a browser on a desktop to do those is a lot easier. I installed the USAA app on my Yoga 900 when it came out, but after getting it set up, I didn't use it and uninstalled it after a few weeks.

In these mobile-only situations, there isn't nearly as much incentive for developers to build apps because the market share for mobile just isn't enough.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
For me, the real measure isn't what's happening right now. There's positive buzz around the UWP right now, but how will the platform be treated in a year or two? Will developers keep their apps updated, or will they stagnate like previous Windows apps? Will the apps have the same features as their iOS and Android versions, or will they lag behind?

I don't mean to be overly negative, but there are some apps that only make sense on mobile. Banking apps for instance make sense on mobile because using a mobile web browser to deposit checks and transfer money is frustrating. Using a browser on a desktop to do those is a lot easier. I installed the USAA app on my Yoga 900 when it came out, but after getting it set up, I didn't use it and uninstalled it after a few weeks.

In these mobile-only situations, there isn't nearly as much incentive for developers to build apps because the market share for mobile just isn't enough.

Bank apps on the desktop make more sense. First of all there's greater security as the bank app runs in a contained area away from the browser. Any exploits that occur in browser code are already tossed out the door with the app. The UI that is created in apps typically is designed to work much better and easier. My bank has an app in the windows store and even though it's a windows 8 app on both mobile/desktop, I prefer to use the desktop one vs. the website. The website is too crowded and harder to navigate. The app makes things so easy. Transfer money? Sure I click on it and it gives me the source on the left which I just tap/click to highlight and then the destination which I do the same. Adding payees, and everything is just a much smoother and better experience. There's no links sending me to different places or anything convoluted it's a pure banking app to do what I need.

Apps are in general better. The web will always have its place and it will take time for people to get used to apps. I used to have so many browser tabs open for all the services I used. Now I have nice little icons in the taskbar or I can use task switcher to get where I want. The more tabs you open the harder it is to see what the tab is for as well.

My experiences with twitter/facebook/reddit/youtube have been greatly enhanced thanks to apps. Typically I use feedly for my news but as apps come out I remove the sources from feedly and stick to using the app. Anytime a new article comes out whether it be for all about windows phone or windows central I get my notification and I just open the app and I find the experience much better. And of course it also works on my mobile phone.

My brother is still more of a web guy. Mostly because he has his browser set to continue from last page. So first thing he does is open his browser and he has his facebook and all that open. I have installed the facebook app for him but he never uses it because when his browser opens it's there. And he prefers the app but he's just so used to it he never remembers to open it. I think in those cases a feature that checks if the app is installed and opens it when the browser tries to load the webpage. Of course it would be something that can be disabled for specific websites. But people wouldn't think twice to do it because they would still be enjoying the experience. And for those who don't have it installed a nice reminder when you go to facebook at the top with an X should be made available to go get the app from the store.

Peoples' habits are ingrained and as such that's probably the biggest hurdle MS has to cross. Creating new habits. Me I'm very open minded and I love new tech and stuff. I like to see new things and try them out. But most people aren't like that. They just do what they were doing.

Ketan Thakkar

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Its really a catch 22 situation. Why wont a developer update their app if there are sizeable amount of users using it or why wont there be sizable amount of users if there are updated apps that they require. a lot is already said and written about it.
It purely depends on the Microsoft strategy how they want to take Windows 10 Mobile in future course. With their focus only on Enterprise Users (for mobile), there market share is not going to increase from what it is now. Given that situation am not sure it will find many developers who would want to develop an app for already reducing market share when it comes to mobile. And without apps even Enterprise users wont be attracted to the platform.
What needs to be seen is how 3rd party OEMS phones performs in the market. If one or two OEMS succeed then there would be no looking back (but this statement comes with a big IF).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My brother is still more of a web guy. Mostly because he has his browser set to continue from last page. So first thing he does is open his browser and he has his facebook and all that open. I have installed the facebook app for him but he never uses it because when his browser opens it's there. And he prefers the app but he's just so used to it he never remembers to open it. I think in those cases a feature that checks if the app is installed and opens it when the browser tries to load the webpage. Of course it would be something that can be disabled for specific websites. But people wouldn't think twice to do it because they would still be enjoying the experience. And for those who don't have it installed a nice reminder when you go to facebook at the top with an X should be made available to go get the app from the store.
I wonder if Windows 10 Mobile or desktop users would like that, or would such a thing just result in complaints that it's too much like Android. That's the typical behavior of Android. If someone wants to open a link and has the app installed, Android will ask them if they want to use the app. There have already been a lot of complaints that Windows 10 Mobile is too much like Android compared to Windows Phone 8/8.1.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if Windows 10 Mobile or desktop users would like that, or would such a thing just result in complaints that it's too much like Android. That's the typical behavior of Android. If someone wants to open a link and has the app installed, Android will ask them if they want to use the app. There have already been a lot of complaints that Windows 10 Mobile is too much like Android compared to Windows Phone 8/8.1.

The problem is that a lot of the complainers are a small percentage of people. And MS should really just stop caring about the small percentage because they don't think like the majority of users. MS has always been folding to this small group of loud whiners but they should be targeting the larger group of consumers not this small niche audience.

MS is also killing any hope for mobile to be successful in the consumer space by telling the media that they will be focusing on enterprise. They should just work on their solutions and let them play out. Stop telling people you are focusing on enterprise. This makes developers think twice about targeting the mobile system. It's the equivalent of saying they have given up on the consumer market and as such this makes people weary of going the windows mobile path. They could say "we are going to make some great devices, we will have great functionality and many features and we plan to also add a huge set of enterprise related features that work perfectly with our management services". That gives the impression that they will be doing both consumer and enterprise rather than saying "focus on enterprise".

MS just digs a deeper and deeper hole every time they open their mouths to the public.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't know. As far as I can tell, the consumer market is closed. 99% is controlled by Android and iOS, so why focus on it? MS has an enterprise base already and they are rightly, in my opinion, stating that they are focusing on them. Does that shut out some apps and customers from the consumer side? Sure, but I don't think presently it hurts at all. If this takes off and consumers start paying attention, they can shift focus then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes