Tired. Frustrated. Worse than awful experience. Lumia 950

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Did you happen to come from a different platform like iOS? I am using both an iPhone 6s and a Lumia 930 and I can confirm that even though the Instagram and new Facebook apps are direct ports, they are slow as hell and laggy in scrolling compared to their iOS versions.

Well, I don't find instagram to be laggy or anything compared to iOS. At least on the latest fast ring build. I don't use facebook so I don't know about that app.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Every known app lags.
Only few things work reliably.
Phone takes ages to wake up.
All core apps like FB, Instagram etc lag like there is no tomorrow.
Cant upload video - app crashes.
Takes really long to load.

Only decent camera keeps me from dropping 950 for Iphone 6s or something else on android.

I'd say it could be experience with several apps only, but there are 2 kinds of apps on windows store: those which somehow work and those which want me to snap the phone in half. Last one is the majority.

Is it your first Windows phone? Or did you restore from a previous phone when you setup the phone? When I got my 950, first I restored my data from my previous Lumia 830. The phone was barely usable after that. After a week I had to reset it and start all over without restoring from backup. Been excellent ever since.

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
And Im not likely to mess around with anything. I might try hard reset, but doing something more complex - meh.

So the op came here, complained bitterly about their experience but was only really willing to do a hard reset, 'nothing more complex'. It would probably take a similar amount of time to do the hard reset as actually making their posts - not that a hard reset is actually that complex. Though as many of us are insiders and the op isn't, then it's likely we're more interested in Windows than they are.

The main options to pursue seemed to be a hard reset and moving apps to the device, off from the SD card. Op could have trialled an Insider preview but that would carry some risk - even if the more recent builds are pretty good.

Let's hope that op got more success away from the SD card or even using a different card in the device. If peope go quiet, it may just be because they're satisfied and that they now have perfection!

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Did you remove the SD card. Been using Lumia 950 for over 7 months now. Works like a charm. Got my friend a Lumia 650 and he is in love with the phone and the OS. In fact, he keeps commenting about how fast and snappy the experience is. I am fairly certain that it is the SD card causing you all the trouble. Remove it and restart the phone and see if it works properly.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
We should start asking people with card issues to share the company of that sd card so we can warn people to avoid that particular brand. My best is on sandisk as a low quality card supplier/manufacturer

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
We should start asking people with card issues to share the company of that sd card so we can warn people to avoid that particular brand. My best is on sandisk as a low quality card supplier/manufacturer

Nice idea, card name AND country, there are a lot of fake Samsung SD online.

I'm good with a Lexar UHD, some pro camera-men suggested me that name

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have only some music on it. I use internal storage for everything, except music (because it is also a pain to transfer music from macbook to win10 device)

Download Windows device recovery tool from the microsoft website.

Plug your phone in and do a fresh install.

Then do all the updates through phone update, store update. Give it some time to do everything it needs. Reboot it once it's done and then go to the store. Go to "My library" and install any apps you want installed. This is a list of all apps you have installed on the phone.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Download Windows device recovery tool from the microsoft website.

Plug your phone in and do a fresh install.

Then do all the updates through phone update, store update. Give it some time to do everything it needs. Reboot it once it's done and then go to the store. Go to "My library" and install any apps you want installed. This is a list of all apps you have installed on the phone.

Krystianpants, thank you for your succinct step-by-step. an excellent reference (I have cut and pasted it for a cheat sheet:), thanks again.

Question: when following your instructions and you re-install an app from the "My Library" do you lose the date within the app itself?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Krystianpants, thank you for your succinct step-by-step. an excellent reference (I have cut and pasted it for a cheat sheet:), thanks again.

Question: when following your instructions and you re-install an app from the "My Library" do you lose the date within the app itself?

Some windows 10 apps use roaming data with your live account so you may be able to get them back. I have had scenarios where I opened an app and it actually had everything in there. Some apps have their own backup methods in settings and such. There's is a new backup mechanism that backs up data for apps that support it. If you do go with the backup/restore method you will be able to get some of the data back on the apps. While the section allows you to pick any app, only the ones that have the function implemented will actually preserve the data.

Settings > Update > Backup: select "backup content from participating apps".
Then if you click "more options". You can select individual apps. But again they need to be implementing the feature. I usually go in there and deselect the apps with a lot of data to make my backup smaller. Some apps can use up hundreds of megs. I almost feel like some of these apps with large data have the ability to mess with the backup and cause problems after restore. But that's just a feeling. I typically do fine with restoring my backups if I follow this method. Remove all the apps using up large data. Typically keep it under 10 megs unless it's an app I really want backed up.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Some windows 10 apps use roaming data with your live account so you may be able to get them back. I have had scenarios where I opened an app and it actually had everything in there. Some apps have their own backup methods in settings and such. There's is a new backup mechanism that backs up data for apps that support it. If you do go with the backup/restore method you will be able to get some of the data back on the apps. While the section allows you to pick any app, only the ones that have the function implemented will actually preserve the data.

Settings > Update > Backup: select "backup content from participating apps".
Then if you click "more options". You can select individual apps. But again they need to be implementing the feature. I usually go in there and deselect the apps with a lot of data to make my backup smaller. Some apps can use up hundreds of megs.

10-4, thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven