Designing an app

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your replies :) Took a look at your app and will definitely be installing it to check it out. While I understand where you are coming from I was more interested in the way users would want to use it. I know that I have very different idea of what is usable compared to others and definitely not sure what kind of features users are looking for.

Also, never said I was designing the app :) was really just curious to get input from others on how they view things and what they would want in a battery app.
Glad that you liked my app! By the way, are you not developing the battery app?

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Glad that you liked my app! By the way, are you not developing the battery app?

Well I'm trying to learn C# and got to thinking about UI and data to provide, which is why I asked the original question. Feel free to create a battery app though :) seems like there might be a demand for one that is accurate.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
2) Windows 10 changed something (compared to WP8) where the tile notification doesn't post till the start screen is viewed... what happens is, when you go to the start screen, the default tile is shown for a few seconds until the tile notification pops up properly. The clock app I wrote, UnClocked, suffers from this on W10M but didn't on WP8.1. I have been looking for a fix, but I don't think one is available as every clock tile app I've downloaded suffers the same issue.

Ahhh, it's nice to hear someone else confirm this for their app too. I built the Literal Moment app and this 'issue' has been hugely frustrating.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
In terms of a battery app, like most of my apps and hardware, I think I have a different perspective to a lot of people. I like my apps and hardware to 'get out of the way' and only come to my attention when I need to take action. I'm not someone who would open a battery app frequently to monitor per app usage, or to check remaining charge, or that kind of thing.

Instead it would be cool if the battery app could monitor app usage in the background and alert me with a notification (and/or live tile message?) when an app has been showing high or unusual usage. And maybe it could monitor my regular usage habits, when I charge, how long I keep it off the charger, etc. and compare that to my current usage to again notify me when I'm not going to make it through the day and I should seek a charger for a top up.

Those are just two examples of things that could maybe be done, but overall that's the kind of thing I look for in apps.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm trying to learn C# and got to thinking about UI and data to provide, which is why I asked the original question. Feel free to create a battery app though :) seems like there might be a demand for one that is accurate.
I recommend C# absolute beginners by Bob Tabor and Windows 10 development for absolute beginners by again Bob Tabor!

I was just the same like you, I couldn't even write a single line of code in March 2016. I remember, I wanted to do something like this in a C# DOS program and it took me entire day to find the solution. I wanted to ask the user "What is your name?"and wanted to say "Hello whatever the user typed". Those were the early days of learning, but it took an entire day for me to do this.

Fast forward today, 2 weeks ago my app got featured on WindowsCentral itself saying it's a niche weather app! SoftPedia listed it in their database saying a very good app! It has 35 ratings and all mostly they are 5 star or 4 star. Generally the reviewers praise for surprisingly accurate forecast and they like the notification regarding upcoming condition. I'm getting regular feature requests through emails. And have a lot of things to do in the app.

I'm working on the app in extra time managing my college. I'm a Mechanical Engineering student lol. And life is so occupied. I have to work late night fot the app but I like the feeling that I'm developing it. I do it for myself and when I complete a feature request and get a praise for that, the moment can't be described in words.

It has been only 2 months since the app was first published but it's getting so much love, nearly 1200 downloads and most of them are using it.

I want to make a lot more apps, all sorts of apps and I'm just learning yet! I believe out of total programming knowledge, I possess only 5% or even less!
I wish even better luck to you! Just pour yourself while making the app!

Last edited:

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I recommend C# absolute beginners by Bob Tabor and Windows 10 development for absolute beginners by again Bob Tabor!

I was just the same like you, I couldn't even write a single line of code in March 2016. I remember, I wanted to do something like this in a C# DOS program and it took me entire day to find the solution. I wanted to ask the user "What is your name?"and wanted to say "Hello whatever the user typed". Those were the early days of learning, but it took an entire day for me to do this.

Fast forward today, 2 weeks ago my app got featured on WindowsCentral itself saying it's a niche weather app! SoftPedia listed it in their database saying a very good app! It has 35 ratings and all mostly they are 5 star or 4 star. Generally the reviewers praise for surprisingly accurate forecast and they like the notification regarding upcoming condition. I'm getting regular feature requests through emails. And have a lot of things to do in the app.

I'm working on the app in extra time managing my college. I'm a Mechanical Engineering student lol. And life is so occupied. I have to work late night fot the app but I like the feeling that I'm developing it. I do it for myself and when I complete a feature request and get a praise for that, the moment can't be described in words.

It has been only 2 months since the app was first published but it's getting so much love, nearly 1200 downloads and most of them are using it.

I want to make a lot more apps, all sorts of apps and I'm just learning yet! I believe out of total programming knowledge, I possess only 5% or even less!
I wish even better luck to you! Just pour yourself while making the app!

Thanks for the encouragement! :) Also hope you make more apps cuz I'm loving that Strawberry Weather app so far. It's been very accurate and actually uses my correct location!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Very glad that you liked it! A lot of things are coming soon to it. Like background images according to the weather conditions! Also, better live tiles. Actually making live tiles is a lot of difficult. There aren't much samples or documentation out there. I'm trying since many days but no luck! But I will do it!

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I recently started learning programming. I'm pretty new to it, but have one app in the store.

Strawberry Weather

It was featured here in '5 apps you should try' article, and I'm getting very good reviews. My experience is, just make the app for yourself! This brings the best out of you! I'll be looking forward to your app! :)

May I ask what development environment and language you are using?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion