I'd love to buy one but I'm afraid. Rumors of the Surface Phone prevents me from buying one. I'd hate to fork over the money and 6 months - 1 year later there's a new Surface Phone. I bought a smart phone in the past and I was on a plan to pay off for 2 years. I don't want that. I don't want to be stuck.

I paid off my Galaxy S4 and you know what I did? I bought a Lumia 640 when it was $30. Love it. Should I buy a 950 or wait?

Thanks for looking.
    07-12-2016 05:58 PM
    If the Lumia 640 is working decent for you, I would say wait. However, there is still a possibility that you can buy the 950 secondhand and sell it to get the Surface phone. It is possible that it can be delayed though, we have seen that happen too.
    Witness and Chintan Gohel like this.
    07-12-2016 06:16 PM
    I would wait . I have a 950 and love it but that Surface will be coming soon .
    07-12-2016 06:54 PM
    Go for the Lumia 950,I'm on production build,all smooth,getting cumulative updates every 2nd Tuesday of every month,got one today,coming from Lumia 1020,I have no regrets ,you cam grab one from 1shopmobile,they have great prices, been purchasing unlocked Lumia's from them for years , check link for Lumia 950

Microsoft Lumia 950 LTE
    IJPI likes this.
    07-12-2016 07:03 PM
    While there's no good x86 mobile SoC in the near future, I don't see there will be any fundamental difference in surface phone. Also its healthy for the companies to release flagship device at least every year of not every six month, so yes its impossible to keep your phone as a state-of-art device during your contact period (even iPhone couldn't do that) - don't take the crazy slow develop pace of wp8/bb10 as normal - the mobile world is just nothing like the car world which a model can live few years before it receive an update.

So, if you feel 950 is what you want or you are in a hurry to upgrade, go for it. If you have a doubt or you are not in a hurry then you wait, simple as that. Its just a phone, a consumable product instead of an investment.
    melhiore, Chintan Gohel and v535 like this.
    07-12-2016 07:12 PM
    I bought a 950 XL. I was coming from a 1020 that was 2 years old, and had taken a HECK of a beating. Plus the battery life had gone down considerably.

I got the free dock, and the free Office 365 for a year, and I have a phone that's flagship quality and works well. No regrets.

If I had a 640 though, considering it's a new variant, and thought that the Surface Phone really would release (as others have said, x86 SoC doesn't have a really good solution at the moment), I'd hold off.

If your 640 is dying, then might be another reason to upgrade "now" as well.

Otherwise, patience is a virtue I guess.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-12-2016 08:40 PM
    I went from a 640 to the 950XL when Microsoft was having the BOGO sale - performance is much better on the 950 with Windows 10, and the camera is stellar - it will also support tap-to-pay in the Anniversary update. Rumor suggests that the Surface Phone won't be released until spring or summer 2017, but I guess they might surprise us in the fall. It will likely be business-oriented - the camera wont be great. Either way you can probably find a good 950 secondhand if you don't want to wait (probably) another year.
    07-12-2016 09:15 PM
    OP, there will ALWAYS be another phone around the corner. No opinion here should sway you. Get what suits your needs NOW.
    07-13-2016 12:19 AM
    As others have mentioned, new phones come out pretty much once a year. Despite loving my 950, I am really hoping the Surface phone comes out in about a year's time, sporting a docking station with a graphics card slot, (like the Razer Core), possibly even a desktop processor for docked use, and a laptop companion, like the HP Elite X3's awesome mobile extender.

If you think a surface phone (what we think it will be, anyway) will be more useful to you than a 950, and your current phone works, no harm in waiting. Otherwise, the 950 is a great phone.
    v535 likes this.
    07-13-2016 12:49 AM
    there's nothing coming, 950 is already down to about 300$ new on ebay, get that or wait till it goes lower, believe me it will
    07-13-2016 06:14 PM
    These last 9mos, with all the updates to W10M, its been like getting a new phone every month/week/couple of days.

A Surface II will be "coming soon" a month after the Surface I is released (if not before), vicious circle; just buy what you need. Chances are you will be looking over the fence a month after you get WHATEVER you decide on.
    07-13-2016 06:30 PM
    Loving my 950. Will be set for a while. You can get one rather inexpensively now.
    07-13-2016 06:42 PM
    Buy my 950XL that's for sale in the marketplace. :D
    07-13-2016 10:19 PM
    Just get it. It so inexpensive now. I don't think a so called Surface Phone will bring anything to the table that I can't live without for at least a couple of years.
    IJPI, libra89 and Maurizio Troso like this.
    07-14-2016 02:30 AM
    I bought 950 XL couple of months ago when Microsoft was giving 950 together for free and I am very happy with it

I had your same thoughts about the possibility to wait for a Surface phone, but i changed my mind because of both the 950XL+950 offer and the thought that the first batch of Surface phones might have small defects that might be corrected with future revisions (there's always the risk to be fair, but if you buy the very first model of anything the risk is higher)

if you can find a good offer for 950XL/950 go for it, if not I think you can keep up with your 640 and wait until the first Surface phones are out
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    07-14-2016 10:12 AM
    It could be postponed to summer of 2017. That's a long wait. And this will be first generation who knows how many issues there will be. I would wait to see what other OEMs release. The alcatel idol 4s pro looks pretty nice. I'm sure more OEMs will be releasing other phones. I would go with the hp elite x3 if you want something to last you long. The snapdragon 820 is a much better chip than the 810. Who knows if the price will drop after a few months.
    libra89 and ayngling like this.
    07-14-2016 11:05 AM
    I'm waiting to see what the Surface phone will bring, ive already replaced the worn out battery in my Lumia 930 to keep it going. The 930 is still working perfectly fine for me.
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    07-14-2016 11:20 AM
    Great input from others here. I'd say pick it up when you find a great deal, say around $300. If you're digging the L640, you're probably going to love the 950 just because it's beefier all around. Saw some good deals for the L650 as well if you want a small upgrade.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-14-2016 11:50 AM
    This time i'll be smarter. When i bought my lumia 950 back in january, it cost about 600€ and now there is possible way to get this phone with just around 400€. So, when surface phone launches lets say early 2017, my lumia 950 is only one year old and it's very reliable phone at the time when surface launches. So, when i feel my 950 is getting a bit old, i just go to shop and buy surface phone, and i think it's cheaper when it was released.
    But when you considering today what to do, i would suggest not to buy 950 and wait next flagship from microsoft!

Sorry my English!
    07-14-2016 12:57 PM
    Which rumours are these exactly that point towards a surface mobile device? Something with proper details and not the common refrain "coming soon"
    07-14-2016 01:08 PM
    Which rumours are these exactly that point towards a surface mobile device? Something with proper details and not the common refrain "coming soon"
    Ok, we can replace word "surface" with "next flagship", so now it makes more sense. Lumia 950 is good, but it can be better! And i'm sure, next "flagship" is better!
    07-14-2016 01:16 PM
    I follow what I need and my budget - almost always buying phones outright, up front and then using whichever carrier suits my needs for service: sometimes networks get poorer coverage or capacity, so I like to move on, without penalty.

As we've seen, buying a phone upon launch means that you pay considerably more than after a delay, as the price drops. There will be new phones coming, some of them better than what's out there - but I think it's best to invest wisely which, for me, means that I get great use from each handset, including using them sometimes until they're almost dead. I may miss out on some new releases in this time-frame but, when I do upgrade, there's usually a fantastic lift in specs and performance. Stick to networks' contractual timeframes for upgrades, or make your own, based on your budget and expectations? 2 years is a reasonable timeframe but maybe it doesn't suit you. In the UK you can get 1 month, 12 month and other periods of network use only contracts - this varies depending on your country and I'm guessing that you're in the US.

What we have learned is that MS is interested in targeting the business market with their windows phones, coupled with 3rd party manufacturers, such as HP, who'll probably do much of the same in the near future. This is likely to keep equipment prices up, so I think it's greater motivation to ensure that the investment is efficiently utilised.
    07-14-2016 02:37 PM
    I follow what I need and my budget - almost always buying phones outright, up front and then using whichever carrier suits my needs for service: sometimes networks get poorer coverage or capacity, so I like to move on, without penalty.

As we've seen, buying a phone upon launch means that you pay considerably more than after a delay, as the price drops. There will be new phones coming, some of them better than what's out there - but I think it's best to invest wisely which, for me, means that I get great use from each handset, including using them sometimes until they're almost dead. I may miss out on some new releases in this time-frame but, when I do upgrade, there's usually a fantastic lift in specs and performance. Stick to networks' contractual timeframes for upgrades, or make your own, based on your budget and expectations? 2 years is a reasonable timeframe but maybe it doesn't suit you. In the UK you can get 1 month, 12 month and other periods of network use only contracts - this varies depending on your country and I'm guessing that you're in the US.

What we have learned is that MS is interested in targeting the business market with their windows phones, coupled with 3rd party manufacturers, such as HP, who'll probably do much of the same in the near future. This is likely to keep equipment prices up, so I think it's greater motivation to ensure that the investment is efficiently utilised.
    Well said!
    07-14-2016 06:27 PM