Update Lumia 1520 to win 10

Bozhidar Gyulmezov

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
It's almost done. And its worth the wait...
Migrating your data 18 of 22. 63%.

Stuck like that for more than an hour. I feel I will have to reboot soon... After I get up from sleep.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I recommend you stick to Windows Phone 8.1 Denim for the rest of your 1520's life. My 1520 was ruined by Windows 10.

Bozhidar Gyulmezov

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Update complete, but I already find some annoying things, like the impossibility to pin individual files to start...
And trying to change backgraound data usage settings crashes the settings.

mgd 57

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't go so far as to say 10 has ruined my 1520, far from it but there are a lot is issues surrounding it namely camera, general speed WiFi issues etc to name but a few. I was lucky to be able to buy this handset brand new unopened in June last year, and one of the many reasons was for the amazingly good camera designed by Nokia in conjunction with carl zeiss lenses. I have a mid range Nikon dslr and taking the same picture exactly,same settings with both this and the Nikon would take an extremely discerning eye to tell the difference. Photography being one of my main hobbies the ability to carry a great camera in your pocket(just) was a huge bonus and this did the job admirably until Microsoft got their hands on the software.
However, I thought I would go into the insiders fast ring and try 10. Early builds looked really promising and there's no getting away from it this platform has so much going for it, but as builds went on it became increasingly clear that Microsoft are unable for whatever reason to pull this off and I very much doubt if they ever will. As of the latest build I have ongoing problems with wifi, camera, peoples ap, Cortana, glance screen, double tap to wake, equalizer issues, some aps being so slow to open it's painful and so it goes on and on. One build fixes one issue and wrecks 3 others. At this stage I have to say before others do that the 1520 is more than able to run 10, equal to or exceed the 950, I have a 950xl and constantly compare both on every build, little percievable difference in performance or lack of perhaps would be the right term. I really sympathise with anyone on contract with a 950 they must get really frustrated with them, Microsoft should never have launched them with 10 as the os. Apart from that the build quality isn't great so it shows they made little or no effort to wean new comers to Windows, you don't need brains to work out that window's is sailing very close to the wind and loosing confidence in the public eye very rapidly to a point that they may well have to admit defeat. Read any tech reviews like the verge, pc world, tech radar etc and it's thumbs down quite consistently.
I digress!
Anyway, yes, this should and could be an excellent and exciting journey in real terms, there's no doubt that 10 is real 'eye candy', do I think it will all work out? Absolutely not. Sell the platform off to the likes of google, (personally no huge fan but...) at least within a very short time spam they would have it perfected and grow the market!
Would I buy another 1520, hell Yes. But not with Microsoft at the helm, they are systematicly ruining their own creation. Strangely I do get asked occasionally about the phone and get many great comments about it and people are curious about Windows on a phone, they love the way that the tiles flip on the home screen and the quality of the screen itself is incredible it's not the first time on, say, the train that I've been asked what is that phone and it does give a small degree of satisfaction to show it off, but could never say I would recommend windows because of the half hearted and amateurish way that Microsoft are putting this together.
In summary, let's wait and see, hang on to your 1520 and watch what happens. New management or a sell off could happen in the near future which could only be positive news.
The future for Microsoft is looking bleak!!

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
The live tile is great, but in reality it sucks!!! You see the latest news headlines, but when you open the app, the news cannot be found!!! Need to use browser to access msn to read the news. This is one of the major flaw. Not mentioning putting very old news back on the headlines.

mgd 57

May 18, 2016
Visit site
If your talking about Cortana for news or msn then I agree, anything that Microsoft has created themselves is basically a shambles build after build, 3rd party news aps are unaffected. Enough said!!

Last edited:

Bozhidar Gyulmezov

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Well I already found the deal-breaker...
Groove Music. Total epic fail.
All songs on my phone are included 2 times in the playlist, and one of the entries don't start. And there is no button to force refresh of all loaded music and remove invalid entries. Nor there is the possibility to manually delete them...

And It stops after each song if the screen is locked, and continues with the next only after I unlock the screen.

Someone must be special kind of stupid to make a music player app change to the next song only when the screen is on.

PS: LOL the update to fix groove music went out yesterday, right after I moved to win 10... Kinda lucky. Now works fine.
Otherwise this would have been an enormous deal-breaker.

I really wonder do Microsoft really want to bury their empire? Why do they put so much effort ind displeasing their customers? I don't plan to change my 1520 for the next 2 years, but if I don't see improvement in the OS and especially the apps, I am never again buying Windows Mobile device...

Last edited:

mgd 57

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Yep, It's real hard to get what they are trying to do. in my book they do not inspire confidence in any way. Groove?? Any of their aps that they build from the ground up are pretty badly put together. Regarding a good solid music player, try loco player, it really is the best in the store in my opinion.

Bozhidar Gyulmezov

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
try changing the settings when data is on - it used to work a few months ago
Yeah, it worked that way... Lol... 10x.

Still the system don't remember the day I set as monthly refresh of data, but the day before.. And upon editing, it changed it to even 1 more day earlier - 2 in total. Next edit it will be 3 days :)
So I just set 1 day later, and it got set on the correct date.

Bugz unlimited. LOL again...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it worked that way... Lol... 10x.

Still the system don't remember the day I set as monthly refresh of data, but the day before.. And upon editing, it changed it to even 1 more day earlier - 2 in total. Next edit it will be 3 days :)
So I just set 1 day later, and it got set on the correct date.

Bugz unlimited. LOL again...

keep checking for updates - or join the insider program and go fast insider

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Photography being one of my main hobbies the ability to carry a great camera in your pocket(just) was a huge bonus and this did the job admirably until Microsoft got their hands on the software.

Would I buy another 1520, hell Yes. But not with Microsoft at the helm, they are systematicly ruining their own creation. Strangely I do get asked occasionally about the phone and get many great comments about it and people are curious about Windows on a phone, they love the way that the tiles flip on the home screen and the quality of the screen itself is incredible it's not the first time on, say, the train that I've been asked what is that phone and it does give a small degree of satisfaction to show it off, but could never say I would recommend windows because of the half hearted and amateurish way that Microsoft are putting this together.
In summary, let's wait and see, hang on to your 1520 and watch what happens. New management or a sell off could happen in the near future which could only be positive news.
The future for Microsoft is looking bleak!!

Totally agree with these points! The regret I had with switching from 1520 to 830 is the camera. When I loaded my new photos (captured by 83) on Lightroom, the difference between those captured on 1520 seems noticeably immense! I didn't upgrade my 830 though to Windows 10 due to my negative experiences on the 1520 (and also due to the removal of stereo recording).

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree with these points! The regret I had with switching from 1520 to 830 is the camera. When I loaded my new photos (captured by 83) on Lightroom, the difference between those captured on 1520 seems noticeably immense! I didn't upgrade my 830 though to Windows 10 due to my negative experiences on the 1520 (and also due to the removal of stereo recording).

Stereo rec is already back in Redstone, so will be out for everywhere on anniversary

Javadevil

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The live tile is great, but in reality it sucks!!! You see the latest news headlines, but when you open the app, the news cannot be found!!! Need to use browser to access msn to read the news. This is one of the major flaw. Not mentioning putting very old news back on the headlines.

Yeah this drives me nuts !!! The tiles are useless for that, if I could make them static I would.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo