11-02-2016 06:12 AM
319 ... 910111213
tools
    Still holding on.. Here's my logic, point by point, mostly as a 'note to self' :)

- I only want a 'first party' phone for security, so a Nexus, iPhone, or Lumia
    - I want more than 64GB
    - I want to pay less than $600 (so no iPhone, maybe iPhone SE?)
    - I want a screen size between 5" and 6" (so no iPhone SE)
    - I want easy media transfer between PC and phone (so no iPhone. I guess iPhone is really out!)
    - I want OIS (optical image stabilization, rules out the Nexus 5X)

So it's between a WP phone and a Nexus 6P or a future Nexus model.

On the Lumia front:
    - I enjoy the wireless charging
    - I enjoy dual sim support, especially now that I can use WhatsApp Beta for a second account
    - I love the UI on WP
    - Cortana works pretty well
    - The camera is still amazing. Just crazy good. This is one thing I'd hate to lose

On the Nexus front:
    - I want to join Google's Project Fi: amazing international support, good and transparent pricing
    - I want Google Maps back. The POI database is just so much better than on WP, as is navigation.
    - I want more frequent app updates, and better quality apps
    - I'd prefer a fingerprint scanner over the iris scanner
    - I prefer Google's accidental damage protection plan

Long story short, I still like my 950XL a lot, but I'll definitely be taking a close look at the upcoming nexus device.

Part of the reason for staying used to be "rooting for the underdog" as the OP mentioned, but since Joe Belfiore went on hiatus WP no longer has that cool upstart feel, the Skype/messaging situation has been an absolute mess, and the OS has been buggy for so long that most of my goodwill has evaporated. So, I'm hanging on, but by a thread!
    Last edited by Joe920; 08-19-2016 at 08:05 AM.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-19-2016 07:48 AM
    <snip>
    Part of the reason for staying used to be "rooting for the underdog" as the OP mentioned, but since the departure of Joe Belfiore WP no longer has that cool upstart feel, the Skype/messaging situation has been an absolute mess, and the OS has been buggy for so long that most of my goodwill has evaporated. So, I'm hanging on, but by a thread!
    Wait he left altogether or do you mean the travel thing?
    08-19-2016 08:01 AM
    Wait he left altogether or do you mean the travel thing?
    Sorry, I just meant the travel thing. I actually just looked up his twitter account to make sure. :) Turns out right now he's testing / spying on a Galaxy S7.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-19-2016 08:05 AM
    Still holding on.. Here's my logic, point by point, mostly as a 'note to self' :)

So it's between a WP phone and a Nexus 6P or a future Nexus model.

Long story short, I still like my 950XL a lot, but I'll definitely be taking a close look at the upcoming nexus device.

Part of the reason for staying used to be "rooting for the underdog" as the OP mentioned, but since Joe Belfiore went on hiatus WP no longer has that cool upstart feel, the Skype/messaging situation has been an absolute mess, and the OS has been buggy for so long that most of my goodwill has evaporated. So, I'm hanging on, but by a thread!
    Yeah, I'm on the same page, I used to be more solid, but the buggy issues, particularly since RS, are sort of doing me in. The battery one is HUGE for me, I don't feel like I can trust my phone anymore. I pedal, a lot, and often go out for 4-6 hour rides on the weekends, and my phone is my bailout device. Right now, on the .82 build, I have to turn off my phone, in order to be assured I can use it if I need it, which means I can't get calls/texts, or anything really. Bluetooth not working (mostly) is big too, I can't really reliably make calls from my car anymore either.
    Sure, I could do (another, this would be my 4th since AU) full-reset, but at some point, should't you just be able to USE your phone?

I'm waiting for the new Nexus model too, or the corresponding price-drop on the 6P. I really want wireless charging, so if the new model had this, I would probably go that route.

If things get more reliable in the meantime, maybe I'll stick around, but between the disappearance of the few apps I had, and the battery thing, I just don't see myself staying with the platform (I've been here since day1 too, more or less). I've dealt with all kinds of buggy, but un-reliable just does me in...
    Joe920 likes this.
    08-19-2016 03:18 PM
    I suppose I'm sticking around just because my 640 works for me. Sends and receives calls & texts, plays music, does GPS with offline maps, takes pictures, updates me on weather and sports and amuses me apps & games like 6tag, Bejeweled and now just recently Vinci (not really much into photography or filters but it has surprised me on how fun it is).
    melhiore likes this.
    08-19-2016 08:58 PM
    I'm waiting for the new Nexus model too, or the corresponding price-drop on the 6P. I really want wireless charging, so if the new model had this, I would probably go that route.
    As much as I like the Nexus line, I'm afraid that lack of wireless charging is going to drive me away from them. From all appearances, this years devices won't have it either, although we do not yet know for sure. I had wireless charging for 3 years, and after getting the Nexus 6P a few months ago and going without it, I realize how much I loved it!
    08-19-2016 11:23 PM
    Simple, I want to see what all this will look like when all the issues are ironed out. They've come such a long way from the first insider builds.
    TgeekB, Kevin Rush, raycpl and 2 others like this.
    08-20-2016 06:10 PM
    I ordered a 5x, and a USB Qi loop, just going to put that on the back, since I like to have a case anyway.
    I did the same thing with my HTC One M8 (Win), and it worked, mostly fine. Sometimes I really wanted the USB port, but I was mostly able to work around it, with a WiFi sharing app, and some other tools.

If I like the 5x, and can get it to work okay with AT&T, at least VVM, and maybe VoLTE and WiFi calling, then I'll look at the 6P successor, and pass the 5X to my wife (she's insanely sick of the Bluetooth issues on her 950, so she's very game anyway), and get the new phone, and sell the 950XL and 950.

It's weird, feel like I'm closing a chapter or something, but who knows, maybe the Surface will become something real, and things will turn around in a couple of years.
    Or, I may hate Android on a phone (I've mostly used it on tablets until now, except for some dev. work on Android), and just try to patch up the 950XL and see what happens there.
    Sort of keeping my options open, for a couple of weeks, anyway, wife says we have to recoup one or the other by then ;-]
    Have to sort out my daughter's phone too, she had an Android phone a ways back, but hated it, and I hated admining it, on our mostly Windows/Live environment, so she's on my old 1020, not sure what we'll do there.
    Joe920 and libra89 like this.
    08-20-2016 06:33 PM
    First smartphone was a Lumia 520 then retired that to MP3 player duty after I bought a Lumia 640 for $30. Have since updated my 640 to W10 and am just happy with everything. I'm no Power User so am good for the most part with the Apps that are available. I'm pretty frugal too so for the $30 I'm into the phone, really have no reason to look at any other phones or OS's.
    08-20-2016 10:40 PM
    Simple, I want to see what all this will look like when all the issues are ironed out. They've come such a long way from the first insider builds.
    Good point. There is something important feeling about being able to be part of the changes and improvements. Want to see how it turns out.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    08-21-2016 08:35 AM
    ios has full support everywhere in the world? how did you come to that conclusion? The number of iphones I've seen in my city in the last 2 years has numbered to less than 30 while windows phones are 100s of times as many
    It's widely known that the demographic of your market has yielded little success for iOS because of lower income. That's why WP and Android have little success in India. It's not rocket science, and regardless, you're nitpicking. The majority of developers around the world release for iOS first, it's no secret.
    08-21-2016 05:32 PM
    What talking you?
    08-21-2016 05:53 PM
    It's widely known that the demographic of your market has yielded little success for iOS because of lower income. That's why WP and Android have little success in India. It's not rocket science, and regardless, you're nitpicking. The majority of developers around the world release for iOS first, it's no secret.
    Well, I'm in Kenya and I've been to India, Tanzania, and many of my friends have been to other countries too. Majority still have fewer ios devices than is widely believed.
    Mach_E and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    08-21-2016 11:07 PM
    As much as I like the Nexus line, I'm afraid that lack of wireless charging is going to drive me away from them. From all appearances, this years devices won't have it either, although we do not yet know for sure. I had wireless charging for 3 years, and after getting the Nexus 6P a few months ago and going without it, I realize how much I loved it!
    With quick charge 3.0 you don't need qi charging any more. Plug it in for 20 minutes and be fine for most of the day.
    08-24-2016 11:34 PM
    My wife is trying out the Lumia 950. She can't stand it. The podcast app doesn't sync properly. When she takes photos and goes to view them, she gets a black screen half the time (image processing, come back later)

She has come from an iPhone - and that kind of stuff just works.

I like Lumia. Had a 1520 and 950xl but I cant deny that Lumia is still really buggy. My nexus 6 will update to nougat shortly and that might become my daily device again.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-24-2016 11:40 PM
    WP/W10M is by far the best mobile OS out there. The app gap doesn't effect me, except for the lack of a SiriusXM app. I jumped to Android for Sirius but the moment the UWP app is released I'm coming right back.

I don't care what everyone else says. I don't care what everyone else buys. The world is wrong. We are right. Windows Phone > all

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-25-2016 12:21 AM
    I've been a Nokia fan since 2000 from symbian to WP7 to WP8 to W10. I don't see myself jumping to apple, which I hate. Maybe android, but I see it as a complicated OS. I've gotten so used to the WP platform.
    08-25-2016 12:28 AM
    Hi to all.
    Recently i've reached the limit, just an example: navigation app (copilot and sygic) work bad, crash and cannot re-open it. Soft reset, nothing, reinstall, nothing, after some time thay started work again.I still have plan to move from my 925 to 950 (here it costs around $300). This is just an example. I don't like apple but i'm starting to look at android, maybe the future nexus. I need phone that just works without problem, the answer is obvious, apple, but as told i don't like it.
    08-25-2016 02:45 AM
    Hi to all.
    Recently i've reached the limit, just an example: navigation app (copilot and sygic) work bad, crash and cannot re-open it. Soft reset, nothing, reinstall, nothing, after some time thay started work again.I still have plan to move from my 925 to 950 (here it costs around $300). This is just an example. I don't like apple but i'm starting to look at android, maybe the future nexus. I need phone that just works without problem, the answer is obvious, apple, but as told i don't like it.
    Waze still works like a charm
    08-25-2016 02:52 AM
    With quick charge 3.0 you don't need qi charging any more. Plug it in for 20 minutes and be fine for most of the day.
    Yes I know, you are correct, and I have been enjoying quick charge. But at the same time there is nothing to replace the convenience of wireless charging. I have two of the Nokia DT-910's, one on my desk at work and one on my bed headboard. It was so nice to just set it on there and not worry about plugging it in.

I'm planning to get a new phone in November. If I do not get a Nexus, I might go with a US unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, or a Note 7 if a US unlocked version is available by then. The big selling point for Samsung is Samsung Pay.
    08-25-2016 07:12 AM
    I'm planning to get a new phone in November. If I do not get a Nexus, I might go with a US unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, or a Note 7 if a US unlocked version is available by then. The big selling point for Samsung is Samsung Pay.
    B&H Photo should have unlocked Note 7 available by then.
    08-25-2016 07:19 AM
    B&H Photo should have unlocked Note 7 available by then.
    Yes, and Best Buy and maybe Amazon. The problem is that I do not believe Samsung has yet confirmed that a US factory unlocked version is coming. We're kind of assuming it is because of the S7.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-25-2016 07:37 AM
    What are you missing in copy and paste. It is better in W10M
    08-25-2016 08:17 AM
    I only want a 'first party' phone for security, so a Nexus, iPhone, or Lumia
    Well, Apple added OIS to the iPhone 7 but decided to remove the headphone port. That makes the decision easier. :) So now it definitely is between my current 950XL and whatever Google comes up with next. One more month to the (rumored?) announcement.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-07-2016 10:25 PM
    I just recently tried out the Samsung S7. The Google apps are slick, and it's amazing how well you can customize the phone, but the vast majority of apps I tried were highly rated and terribly designed. As for the device itself, the phone ran hot whenever I used it (reminded me of the beta of WP10), and I had phantom taps on the right side when I was holding it.

I like iOS, but the hardware is incredibly overpriced, with no replaceable battery or microsd.

Windows is actually pretty fantastic except for the app gap, and I don't miss the apps. I've recently had to start working more intensely with social media, and there are either first party apps or great substitutes for everything.

I don't blame people for leaving (particularly if they were struggling through the 950 beta period) but I have a phone that works great for me and is far less expensive.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    09-08-2016 02:20 AM
319 ... 910111213