Folks who make up the 1% - why are you holding on?

jerreldulay

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Plenty of doom and gloom everywhere. I've used Windows Mobile since 2003. Then Windows Phone from 2010. Then Windows 10 Mobile since day 1.

There have been app gaps, there still are.
There have been missing features like copy and paste.
There have been bugs like random reboots.
There has recently been Pok?mon Go. I'm still here.

If you've stayed with Microsoft's mobile operating system for a long time and are seeing yourself as one who will still be here till the last Windows Phone is sat on the shelf, why? What keeps you from "jumping ship"?

My reasons are: I'm too far, too deep invested into the ecosystem. I'm sold on the one ecosystem dream. I always back the underdog. You?

I have used and still use Apple and Android, and they are frustrating beyond words. I prefer the Windows Mobile interface, despite its superficial flaws.

Ray Robertson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually I quit :cry: I've hoped for the best for a while now, but with so many apps getting cut from 8.1 and with W10M still being so bugging I've decided to move on. Windows Phone 8.1 apps also seem to be getting buggier and with the move to W10M I feel that the support will be gone pretty soon. Lumia 810, 925 and lastly HTC M8. Also my text message "Get Media or messages not sending is getting hella worse. Loved the platform, but IMO MS F'd the whole thing up.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually I quit :cry: I've hoped for the best for a while now, but with so many apps getting cut from 8.1 and with W10M still being so bugging I've decided to move on. Windows Phone 8.1 apps also seem to be getting buggier and with the move to W10M I feel that the support will be gone pretty soon. Lumia 810, 925 and lastly HTC M8. Also my text message "Get Media or messages not sending is getting hella worse. Loved the platform, but IMO MS F'd the whole thing up.

Check back in six months ... Redstone for Mobile seems to be GOOD, hope the apps come.

Yaldenski

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Why do I stick with Windows Phones and/or Windows in general? Because, even though they're not perfect, I've been very happy with them and I'm quite sure that I would be much less happy with anything Apple/Google/Android.

Yaldenski

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I guess I would be an exception to that... Been using Windows since 3.1, had an HP Jormada before the "smartphone" was invented, couldn't wait to dump my iPhone 4 for a Lumia 800 and bought one as soon as it came out, still have a 1020 and a 1520, a 930 and now on the 950 XL for daily use and I'm looking forward to getting an Elite X3... Sure there are things I'd like to see different... I'd like to try Pokemon Go, but I'd rather have a phone that I like without Pokemon than to be walking around with the same phone as "the 99%" just to fit in or something... Hell yeah, I'm not just "still optimistic", I'm perfectly happy with Windows and I couldn't care less what other people think of that!

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've been around since the olden days of pocket pc & the Palm Treo era. The deep integration of the OS is beautiful. I'm just in love. It seems relevant to quote a line from A Bronx Tale here. The bar scene with the bikers. Sonny locks the door & says-"Now yous can't leave."
Man, oh man... The PALM TREO was the THANG, WASN'T IT?

Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14393.3]

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
lol, well....I expected to be part of the "10-15% still holding on" by now but I just have not been able to find an OS that fits me like Windows. For whatever reason, the pages of "icons" on iOS and Android leave me cold and I, for the life of me, can't figure out why only 1% of us prefer live tiles. My 920 was a victim of an unplanned "gravity-concrete" interface and my current Icon is a victim of...well...Verizon. It still performs flawlessly and I guess I'll wait for the Surface phone or ride into the smartphone sunset proudly clutching my Icon and ever mindful of gravitational mishaps. Best OS ever. ;-)
Bravo!!! Well spoken.

Peace. Alan

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't see it as holding on but as its what works best for me. I have an Android and a Blackberry device but they don't have the ecosystem and feel of my 950.

Cherie93

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I am seriously considering switching platforms.
I'm 22, so I am not kid anymore. I study, I work, I live on my own.
I chose Windows Phone because it was the only mobile system that didn't lag horribly. All my Android phones after a year or so, even when cleaned-up,were getting black screen for 2-6 mins at least once a week. It was frustrating.
Also - I quite like the tiles look. It's all more fluid and intuitive. And having the same system on both my laptop and mobile seems fine.

BUT. I was always angry that all my friends had more apps, and even if WP had the same apps we had to pay for them and Android users got them for free. That was frustrating. But I could live with it, because I never was very hyped for mobile games or apps. I only needed Skype, Messenger, FB and some Running/Music apps.
But with all the Pokemon Hype going around I feel left out. All my friends are spending hours outside running for pokemons. Even my parents went with the hype... And I feel left out.
My Lumia 640 is 2 years old. If by the end of August there's no Pokemon Go for Windows 10 Mobile I think I will just go for the ugly Android again. Just to not feel left out.
Because - yes - it's just a Pokemon game. But next year it will be something different. And then next year it will be also something different. I don't want to always feel left out because we're not getting the shiny stuff.
Microsoft knew that Pokemon Go will be a big hype for months - why didn't they start working on getting it on their platform back then?

It is really a shame because I feel WP has the best potential out there to be perfect mobile system. But the lack of big hype apps is kinda killing it.

I am also dissapointed that they force the bing use. Sorry, but I hate bing. I prefer google and yahoo.

jerreldulay

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site

Aww mate, that sucks. I had message problems the first week of 10 mobile launching, but it seemed to get ironed out pretty quickly. What I've noticed is that a lot of the older phones built for 8 and 8.1 simply do not transfer well to 10 and have a lot more problems. My oldest one didn't like 10 much, and the newest W8 phone did pretty good. My latest phone, 550, built for 10, works like a dream.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I am seriously considering switching platforms.
I'm 22, so I am not kid anymore. I study, I work, I live on my own.
I chose Windows Phone because it was the only mobile system that didn't lag horribly. All my Android phones after a year or so, even when cleaned-up,were getting black screen for 2-6 mins at least once a week. It was frustrating.
Also - I quite like the tiles look. It's all more fluid and intuitive. And having the same system on both my laptop and mobile seems fine.

BUT. I was always angry that all my friends had more apps, and even if WP had the same apps we had to pay for them and Android users got them for free. That was frustrating. But I could live with it, because I never was very hyped for mobile games or apps. I only needed Skype, Messenger, FB and some Running/Music apps.
But with all the Pokemon Hype going around I feel left out. All my friends are spending hours outside running for pokemons. Even my parents went with the hype... And I feel left out.
My Lumia 640 is 2 years old. If by the end of August there's no Pokemon Go for Windows 10 Mobile I think I will just go for the ugly Android again. Just to not feel left out.
Because - yes - it's just a Pokemon game. But next year it will be something different. And then next year it will be also something different. I don't want to always feel left out because we're not getting the shiny stuff.
Microsoft knew that Pokemon Go will be a big hype for months - why didn't they start working on getting it on their platform back then?

It is really a shame because I feel WP has the best potential out there to be perfect mobile system. But the lack of big hype apps is kinda killing it.

I am also dissapointed that they force the bing use. Sorry, but I hate bing. I prefer google and yahoo.
I'm 68, but I'm with YOU on Pok?mon Go. Imagine that - at 68! :winktongue:
Other than that, though, W10M has everything I want and it's provided in a better way than Android or iOS.
Sooooo... if you leave, Happy Trails, sincerely.

Peace. Alan

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
There is nothing missing from the app store that I need.
I like the OS; Android is jumbled and chaotic to me. Same with Iphones, I don't like either. I also don't want to pay an exorbitant amount for a cellphone.
My longest lasting phones have been Nokia Windows phones.
My most durable (surviving countless drops, roughness) have been Nokia Windows phones. I am on my first non-Nokia Windows phone with the 640, hoping not much has changed!

Right now, the only way I'd switch, is if Microsoft killed off Windows Mobile.

Both my husband and I have and love our WP8.1 but are frustrated that W10M still has not been released. The one big complaint is that Microsoft never makes any deadline they set for upgrades/new releases. One question I have for all you geniuses: I have an Android tablet and everytime I am online I get pop up ads in the middle of a movie regardless of the provider (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon....) and there seems to be no way to disable it. Does the same thing happen with Android phones? This would be a major drawback to getting an Android phone. And am I just STUCK with this nuisance/hassle or does anyone have a suggestion? I realize this is not a Google forum but so many of you seem quite knowledgeable so I thought I would ask. Thank you.

Cherie93

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Well Android frustrated me a lot too. I just wish thy added a statement about most awaited apps
"Yes it is going to happen in X time"
"No its not being worked on".
Sadly, they're pretty quiet besides social media - where they give one answer and then second one that is telling that they didn't mean exactly what the first answer said : P.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Both my husband and I have and love our WP8.1 but are frustrated that W10M still has not been released..

Windows 10 has been out on mobile for months. You have to use the Upgrade Advisor app to get it, it's not a suggested or 'forced' upgrade.
If it says "We're working with your provider," download Windows Insider and select Release preview to install Windows 10 on our phone. That's what I did for both my 830 and 640 phones. Couldn't be happier. Windows 10 is much more fluid and slick feeling than 8.1 ever was, in my opinion.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 is much more fluid and slick feeling than 8.1 ever was, in my opinion.

I very much disagree. I suppose what we interpret to be "slick feeling" is subjective, so opinions on that may vary, but fluidity isn't. W10M is objectively the slowest and most jittery (on the L830 we also get tearing and occasional screen blanking) version of MS' mobile OS yet. The only way to not notice is to have more powerful hardware (like the L950/XL) compensate for W10M's inefficiencies.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Both my husband and I have and love our WP8.1 but are frustrated that W10M still has not been released. The one big complaint is that Microsoft never makes any deadline they set for upgrades/new releases. One question I have for all you geniuses: I have an Android tablet and everytime I am online I get pop up ads in the middle of a movie regardless of the provider (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon....) and there seems to be no way to disable it. Does the same thing happen with Android phones? This would be a major drawback to getting an Android phone. And am I just STUCK with this nuisance/hassle or does anyone have a suggestion? I realize this is not a Google forum but so many of you seem quite knowledgeable so I thought I would ask. Thank you.
What 'thron' said is true, true, true.
You'll find the "Upgrade Advisor App" at the App Store. Download it and run it and it'll provide you with information how to proceed.

Peace. Alan

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I very much disagree. I suppose what we interpret to be "slick feeling" is subjective, so opinions on that may vary, but fluidity isn't. W10M is objectively the slowest and most jittery (on the L830 we also get tearing and occasional screen blanking) version of MS' mobile OS yet. The only way to not notice is to have more powerful hardware (like the L950/XL) compensate for W10M's inefficiencies.
I don't know, Sir. I'm on an ICON 929 and its smooth as silk. And that model is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Peace. Alan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett