11-02-2016 06:12 AM
319 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Anyway, I'm still part of the 1% for nostalgic reasons. ☺
    Were you a user of yesteryear's Pocket PCs too? I've been using Windows Mobile devices since WM2003, and that was one of the reasons why I tried out Windows Phone (the other being how much I disliked what Google did to the SD card permissions in KK).
    07-24-2016 11:30 PM
    That seems like a sound explanation. Hardware that's more on the lean side isn't really designed for all their background processing and may be suffering from the phone trying to do too much behind the curtain.
    No. Thron may be right about background processes or Cortana playing a role. Misinterpreting that to be the hardware's fault is wrong however. Faulting the hardware is really not a sound explanation. Our devices even ship with multicore CPUs. That's exactly the type of hardware that should excel at handling background processes! Consider also that the Android OS allows for much heavier background processing, yet Android devices with the same hardware as the L830 have no such issues.
    I'm a software engineer. I can assure you that ALL the explanations faulting the hardware are laughable. Hardware performance isn't the issue.
    I'll wait for the AU and then start fiddling around with background processes and Cortana. Thron may be right that I can micromanage my way to a better experience. Not having to do that is one of the things that originally attracted me to WP7 however. 😕

Were you a user of yesteryear's Pocket PCs too?
    Yup, you got it. ☺ However, I feel more nostalgic about WP7.5. What I used before WP7 was more about utility than passion ☺
    07-25-2016 01:21 AM
    Both my husband and I have and love our WP8.1 but are frustrated that W10M still has not been released. The one big complaint is that Microsoft never makes any deadline they set for upgrades/new releases. One question I have for all you geniuses: I have an Android tablet and everytime I am online I get pop up ads in the middle of a movie regardless of the provider (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon....) and there seems to be no way to disable it. Does the same thing happen with Android phones? This would be a major drawback to getting an Android phone. And am I just STUCK with this nuisance/hassle or does anyone have a suggestion? I realize this is not a Google forum but so many of you seem quite knowledgeable so I thought I would ask. Thank you.
    That's incredible after months of news everywhere on magazines and web, some people doesn't know is out since there :(
    aximtreo and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    07-25-2016 02:21 AM
    That's incredible after months of news everywhere on magazines and web, some people doesn't know is out since there :(
    Considering some people need to install an app to get the W10M update, rather than just being prompted, it's actually the opposite of incredible. 😕
    07-25-2016 02:44 AM
    I've been seeing a lot of people online lately, who didn't even know Windows had a mobile operating system.
    One had even responded to an article, under the assumption Microsoft had axed the mobile OS "before I had a chance to try it."

Ironically, the cancelled McLaren phone video originally posted on Windows Central has drummed up a lot of attention from people - without them linking to the article of course. One site in particular snagged the video and re-wrote their own clickbait style article about the phone.
    07-25-2016 02:46 AM
    Considering some people need to install an app to get the W10M update, rather than just being prompted, it's actually the opposite of incredible. 
    Considering the mess of desktop auto upgrades..... :/
    The truth IMHO is people never reads Microsoft mails on their hotmail accounts, they think are spam.... The same story of the reducing OneDrive space warning
    07-25-2016 03:17 AM
    I didn't notice the update to for at least 2-3 monhs. I didn't get any mail from them. I googled it up some time ago by coincidence so yeah...
    07-25-2016 07:02 AM

Microsoft knew that Pokemon Go will be a big hype for months - why didn't they start working on getting it on their platform back then?

It is really a shame because I feel WP has the best potential out there to be perfect mobile system. But the lack of big hype apps is kinda killing it.

I am also dissapointed that they force the bing use. Sorry, but I hate bing. I prefer google and yahoo.
    How did MS know about that game? Can you back that statement? For sure I never heard of the game until people started talking about it on these forums in the past few days.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-25-2016 07:53 AM
    Both my husband and I have and love our WP8.1 but are frustrated that W10M still has not been released. The one big complaint is that Microsoft never makes any deadline they set for upgrades/new releases. One question I have for all you geniuses: I have an Android tablet and everytime I am online I get pop up ads in the middle of a movie regardless of the provider (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon....) and there seems to be no way to disable it. Does the same thing happen with Android phones? This would be a major drawback to getting an Android phone. And am I just STUCK with this nuisance/hassle or does anyone have a suggestion? I realize this is not a Google forum but so many of you seem quite knowledgeable so I thought I would ask. Thank you.
    Could you share which devices you and your husband use? Some devices cannot upgrade while others can but there are a few steps as others have mentioned
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    07-25-2016 07:54 AM
    I very much disagree. I suppose what we interpret to be "slick feeling" is subjective, so opinions on that may vary, but fluidity isn't. W10M is objectively the slowest and most jittery (on the L830 we also get tearing and occasional screen blanking) version of MS' mobile OS yet. The only way to not notice is to have more powerful hardware (like the L950/XL) compensate for W10M's inefficiencies.
    As others have mentioned, the speediness or lack thereof varies between users - we can't explain why that is so. Perhaps there's an app that causes system slow down or some have noticed cortana does a slow down when it is pinned to start. It could also be differing firmware or differing hardware. Maybe even which radios are on
    07-25-2016 07:57 AM
    For at least 2 months before release people were bragging about it everywhere on internet on gaming sites. Lost of my friends were waiting for it and telling me so much about it a few weeks before its premiere.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    07-25-2016 08:33 AM
    For at least 2 months before release people were bragging about it everywhere on internet on gaming sites. Lost of my friends were waiting for it and telling me so much about it a few weeks before its premiere.
    AND...since it's release, its been ALL OVER the news about people falling into manholes, into moving bikes, into moving traffic. WHO wouldn't want to enjoy a walk like that? All I know is I'd install it if MS had it in the store.

Peace. Alan
    MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14393.3]
    07-25-2016 11:10 AM
    The truth IMHO is people never reads Microsoft mails on their hotmail accounts, they think are spam.... The same story of the reducing OneDrive space warning
    Yes, that's the truth, and it will always be that way, which is why MS needs to take that into account. Apple gets by just fine without requiring people to read e-mails about updates. MS can too.

Perhaps there's an app that causes system slow down or some have noticed cortana does a slow down when it is pinned to start. It could also be differing firmware or differing hardware. Maybe even which radios are on
    Yes yes yes... obviously there must be some reason. Unfortunately, whatever that reason is, it's just one more reason why W10M is a failure.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-25-2016 11:58 AM
    AND...since it's release, its been ALL OVER the news about people falling into manholes, into moving bikes, into moving traffic. WHO wouldn't want to enjoy a walk like that? All I know is I'd install it if MS had it in the store.

Peace. Alan
    To be honest, if you're careful of your surroundings and respect people's private property, it's actually a lot of fun. I didn't think I would enjoy it at first, but when a group of friends invited me to this massive gathering of Pokemon Go players, I gotta say that I had a blast. I didn't take the game too seriously, mostly I just screwed around, but I really enjoyed the social aspect of being out, wandering around the city, and hanging with friends.
    Shamshi-Adad and libra89 like this.
    07-25-2016 11:58 AM
    To be honest, if you're careful of your surroundings and respect people's private property, it's actually a lot of fun. I didn't think I would enjoy it at first, but when a group of friends invited me to this massive gathering of Pokemon Go players, I gotta say that I had a blast. I didn't take the game too seriously, mostly I just screwed around, but I really enjoyed the social aspect of being out, wandering around the city, and hanging with friends.
    Maybe you misunderstood me. I was telling the truth but trying to be humorous at the same time (a fault of mine).
    I REALLY DO want Pokmon Go! My only option as of now is to put it on my wifi-only iPad and use the mobile hotspot on my phone. BUT, now that I've thought it out loud, that might not work. Well... worth a try.

Peace. Alan
    07-25-2016 12:14 PM
    If MS ever do completely kill off mobile, there really are no other acceptable choices to me. I guess the lesser of the evils would be a Cyanogen version of Android with most of the crap ripped out ...
    Some bad news about that option:

Cyanogen Inc. reportedly fires OS development arm, switches to apps | Ars Technica
    07-25-2016 11:30 PM
    I must have missed that - I'm not into games except for Sudoku and such
    None of my friends or colleagues have mentioned it either
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    07-26-2016 01:04 AM
    After seeing how remarkably similar the anniversary build of desktop Windows is compared to the Redstone mobile versions I've been running, it's likely a minimal effort for Microsoft to maintain mobile now. Hopefully this means that no matter how small the market share, they'll still support it.
    07-26-2016 01:10 AM
    After seeing how remarkably similar the anniversary build of desktop Windows is compared to the Redstone mobile versions I've been running, it's likely a minimal effort for Microsoft to maintain mobile now. Hopefully this means that no matter how small the market share, they'll still support it.
    that's the general idea - write the code once and deploy it everywhere with minor modifications
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    07-26-2016 01:29 AM
    07-26-2016 04:42 AM
    I must have missed that - I'm not into games except for Sudoku and such
    None of my friends or colleagues have mentioned it either
    That's very easy to understand. Receipt of a piece of news is totally dependent on one's socio/work circles and lifestyle. But you've heard about it now ain't ya?

Peace. Alan
    MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14393.5]
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-26-2016 02:24 PM
    I've been with WP since Nokia took it on as a smartphone OS. Until then I was a Nokia fan anyway. I liked the convergence they always went for. It was more about having one device for everything than it was about apps.

Now, most Smartphones have got decent cameras, GPS, voice recording, media of all sorts, etc. etc. But I love Windows 10 Mobile, and Windows Phone before that for the customisability of the home screen - small, large, extra large tiles, colour schemes etc. - it finds that sweet spot between simple icons on iOS, and widgets on Android. For me the first is too simplistic, the latter too complex. Since the upgrade to Windows 10, it's been improved upon even more - scaling font size down I now have 4 large tiles across the screen which I think is brilliant.

But...after all these years, I'm actually close to jumping ship for iOS, even though I'm really not a fan of Apple at all.

For me there's one simple reason - Synology NAS.

My storage and media at home (which is a huge collection) is on a Synology NAS and that's not about to change. Fact is that even though Synology has apps for Windows Phone/Mobile, they're crippled compared to their iOS and Android counterparts. You can use the apps so well to manage and interact with the NAS.

I've been waiting forever for some decent updates in functionality etc, but they never come. Updates come, but it's mostly just small bug fixes etc.

I've got an Android phone for work, and I hate it - it's like a toy, fragmented as hell - you never know where a setting is to be found, home screens are a mess - I just can't find myself in it.

I think iOS is boring and unspectacular, but it gets it done well, and clean - and it takes pretty good pictures in the meantime too.

So, it's not the app gap in and of itself (though there are some things missing I'd like), but rather the lack of support for a very specific hardware solution I'm invested in, which is likely to finally put the nail in the coffin of Windows Phone/Mobile for me.

Shame really....

PS: Synology, if you're reading this, PLEASE PLEASE provide a decent upgrade for your Windows Mobile users.
    libra89, P1ng0fDeath and a5cent like this.
    07-27-2016 10:39 AM
    I'm holding on...but barely. I really enjoy WM10, but the interface is slow and the camera is about to do me in. I rebuilt the phone yesterday and moved everything off of SD card storage by my movies...hoping that improves the phones stability.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-27-2016 12:39 PM
    I'm stumbed upon all these people getting iussues.....
    I did my 2nd only hard reset in my life due to lacking respondes.... Everything get back as before and faster
    Only iussue, the new Panorama Camera lasted hours....
    :(
    07-27-2016 12:57 PM
    There's something besides Windows Mobile?
    07-28-2016 12:22 AM
319 ... 45678 ...