Folks who make up the 1% - why are you holding on?

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I love my 950 and am not gonna change it anytime soon, the only issue that really gets to me is that the Wordflow keyboard really is crap compared to Wordflow on 8.1. I'm not sure what they've done to it and why it would perform so much worse, and no-one as far as I have seen so far is able to explain why there is this difference. It gets simple words wrong sometimes and even if I'm really slow and careful there are just some words that it just will not do/recognise.

Is there anyone in the know that can explain why what worked on 8.1 has not been carried over to 10. I'm guessing they re-wrote the code from scratch and didn't do as good a job of it.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I love my 950 and am not gonna change it anytime soon, the only issue that really gets to me is that the Wordflow keyboard really is crap compared to Wordflow on 8.1. I'm not sure what they've done to it and why it would perform so much worse, and no-one as far as I have seen so far is able to explain why there is this difference. It gets simple words wrong sometimes and even if I'm really slow and careful there are just some words that it just will not do/recognise.

Is there anyone in the know that can explain why what worked on 8.1 has not been carried over to 10. I'm guessing they re-wrote the code from scratch and didn't do as good a job of it.

I'm not exactly sure. It seems to work about the same for me... Although, maybe I have noticed an increase in "misspellings" due to the wrong word being chosen.

UgoCat

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm holding on because i prefer windows os over lagdroid or ios, but 1% market share is scary. Actually i'm on a Lumia 925 and i'd like to move to a new phone. Lumia 950 now is around $300 but i'm not sure that at this time it's the right choice.
I really don't know what to do.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Possibly due to your dictionary being rebuilt when you crossed over to WM10, the tendencies / your jargon are NOT there, yet.
This is merely a guess, don't know if it was redesigned (would doubt it, just needs to learn from you)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm holding on because i prefer windows os over lagdroid or ios, but 1% market share is scary. Actually i'm on a Lumia 925 and i'd like to move to a new phone. Lumia 950 now is around $300 but i'm not sure that at this time it's the right choice.
I really don't know what to do.

If your 925 is going okay, why not hang tight with it or just try the 950 anyway? Unless you are waiting for the Hp phone.

@about the keyboard: On my 640, it feels so much slower. Word Flow on iOS feels as fast as the keyboard was on 8.1.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Or the Acer Liquid Jade Primo Super Duper Ultra Awesome phone.
Sorry bout that, the actual name just seems over-exaggerated. Not that I think it's a bad phone, the name is just too long.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Adults are allowed to have fun. The issue is the sense of entitlement when something you have isnt up to "snuff" for your taste. If you would rather spend your free time playing Pokemon Go, when you are supposedly an adult, then go ahead and move to ios or Android. But dont come to a site like this, peepee and moan about what we DONT have, instead of being productive and calling out what we do. MS is NOT NOT NOT going after the mainstream market anymore, deal with it like an Adult. As ive seen from some replies, I know im not alone with this mindset of being sick and tired of the complaining. Sign the petition if you want the game that bad, posting here isnt going to make it happen. I have had to deal with ios due to work, so I have an extremely high knowledge of the platform. Im good without it. EVERY PLATFORM HAS OPERATIONAL FLAWS. I would LIKE for my local credit union to make an app, but they wont. Im not going to ditch a platform for something as trivial as that. If your account is so low you need to check it every day or more, then i dont think Pokemon Go should be at the tops of your list of things to worry about. But hey, this is just my opinion. Really hope this doesnt get me dinged, I purposely didnt call out or quote anyone using generalities.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I was only here because of Nokia.
But now, I don't know why I am still here.
950 for $300 was a damn good deal, the camera is damn good. But all other "Nokianess" is missing.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Possibly due to your dictionary being rebuilt when you crossed over to WM10, the tendencies / your jargon are NOT there, yet.
This is merely a guess, don't know if it was redesigned (would doubt it, just needs to learn from you)

I don't think its to do with that, I used to have Swype on an Android phone years ago, and when Wordflow came to Windows Phone 8.1, it was just as good if not actually a bit better. The difference between 8.1 and 10 with regards to Wordflow is marked and very definitely noticeable.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

two things: do you the get to know me part enabled? It's somewhere in speech, inking and typing settings.
second: I'm guessing the cursor they added messed things up - but it got a lot better recently

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
you've given me the hypothesis that those users who used to use windows for a long time on mobile have something to gripe about while users like you and me who came on board when 8 was released have a lot of optimism
DITTO ! :winktongue:
Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [W10 M Insider Preview, Redstone 14390.0]

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I cut myself recently and windows 10 was bleeding out.....a bandaid is helping. Windows and Me are joined at the hip.... To remove it would kill me. But at least it will not be an abrupt death like those who are crossing streets chasing Pokemon. 😜

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
two things: do you the get to know me part enabled? It's somewhere in speech, inking and typing settings.
second: I'm guessing the cursor they added messed things up - but it got a lot better recently

I'll certainly look into that, but the point I was making earlier was that it just worked, Wordflow on 8.1 worked like Swype did on Android, no special learning algorithms, it just worked. Maybe if I enable the "get to know me feature" you mentioned (assuming it's not already enabled), it may help, but why doesn't it just work like it used to. It didn't need to learn anything before, it was just massively more accurate straight out of the box. I spend as much time correcting things these days as I do typing them, and frankly, it drives me nuts, it's more of a hindrance than a help sometimes, so much so that I fall back to tapping out the words instead, that's how bad it can be. And still I would like it if someone could explain why it's different to 8.1 which just worked very well.

If someone came up with an app that grafted the 8.1 version of Wordflow onto W10M, I would actually pay real money for it!

Last edited:

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't particularly look at it as 1% means that the platform is dying.
As Satya mentioned, the goal is to make Windows an experience that you can have not just in mobile by on everything else from PC, to mobile, and to the internet of things. Sure, Windows Mobile represents 1% of the total market share right now, but looking back in history, Macs were at the same situation when Apple was struggling as a company.
We're now reaching the plateau of mobile innovation, and thus it's not virtually impossible to make a dent in this aspect. Remember, Apple exploded when the iPod technology was popularized, which at that time was an extremely exciting time of innovation for the company. What I am saying is that while there may be no hope for Windows Mobile in terms of capturing more than 1% of the market share, let's take a look at what Microsoft is doing to get ahead of the game when the next revolution comes.

And this is where Augmented reality comes into place. I bet you, that in the next 5-10 years, Hololens will be what the iPhone is of today when it terms of the domination in tech. iPhones accounts for 70% of Apple's revenues, and judging by the non-iPhone products they release, it's safe to say that they may possibly not survive the next tech revolution. Apple is nothing more than a fashion accessory which people eventually will get tired of. Apple Watch bombed, Macs maybe on the rise, but slowly, and iPads are actually decreasing in sales.

This will leave a void in what the next revolution will have. I believe that Hololens will be the future. And it shows that Microsoft has learned their mistakes costing them the opportunity to dominate in the mobile industry. They are now focusing on the next big thing, and I am confident in their confidence that Augmented Reality is the future. Just take a look at the mass hysteria Pok?mon Go has caused in just the first few days of release.

Now imagine people 10 years down the road playing Pok?mon in Hololens. By that time, we're already have been a couple of generations into this device, and most definitely the FOV have been fixed along with vast hardware improvements according to Morse Law.

What I'm saying is that, don't look at Mobile as ends to the means, but Mobile as an experience of something even bigger.

Apple failed at everything else, Google may still be a powerful player with Google Lens, but Microsoft has this is the bag. Hololens will be the device of the future.

This is all in theory, I just hope that Microsoft doesn't screw things up and actually seize the opportunity to the best they can.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I like being in the top 1%, and see no reason to downgrade my phone experience.

Seriously, my 640 just works. I haven't had any issues with it that couldn't be resolved with a simple reboot of the phone. Yeah, there are apps on the other platforms that aren't available to Windows Mobile, but a large majority are games that I will never play, or apps I don't need. The stuff I want or need to use on a regular basis are already available to me.

• Phone - Check
  • Text Messaging - Check
  • Skype calling - Check
  • GPS and Maps - Check
  • Banking App - Check (for me at least)
  • Weather App - Check
  • MS Office Apps - Check
  • Camera App - Check

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, my 640 just works.

That too. The budget Windows phones work just as reliably as the mid-range/high end phones.
You don't need to shell out a huge sum of cash to get a reliable phone, W10 works good on the lower end devices quite well.

Doesn't mean I don't want to get my hands on a shiny new 950 though. Just waiting for the price to come down a bit more. :smile:

Avery Andrews

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I started with the Lumia 520 for an overseas trip because it seemed to be the only inexpensive phone that I could buy unlocked that worked properly as a phone (and then discovered the glories of Here Map's offline capabilities ...); it had to be inexpensive because I was worried about losing it (a realistic concern: I almost lost it in the departure lounge at Sydney Airport on the first day of the trip!)

Upgraded to 730 about a year ago because I liked the system, but needed more power, but the 'app gap' has become a substantial and growing problem, so when it's time for the next upgrade, I will have a decision to make (noting that HERE maps has now shifted to Android/Ios, although Windows Maps seems to be quite a decent replacement). If AMIduOS works on phones by then (as far as I can make out, that is not the case now -- if it was, surely the vendors would be blowing their horns about it), I'll probably stick with it, otherwise will probably feel compelled to bail to Ios (since last time I looked, Android could still not display polytonic Greek properly).:crying:

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 950 was my first Windows Phone device. I got it because I love my Surface Pro (got models 1, 3 and 4) and believe that continuum is the future. I want my phone when docked to be a desktop (hopefully the dock will have a graphics card slot), and I want a laptop companion (like HP Elite X3's mobile extender).

I am here because that is a future I want, and I believe Microsoft has the staying power to slowly convince developers to use Xamarin for building iOS and Android apps. If developers do that they can add Windows universal apps with very little extra effort, resulting in no more app gap.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
There must be opportunities for developers to make reasonable money from apps on the Windows platform, smaller pond but far less fish i.e. less competing apps.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
There must be opportunities for developers to make reasonable money from apps on the Windows platform, smaller pond but far less fish i.e. less competing apps.

AGREE - but IF the port to Windows requires about 10% effort, do it, because you not only have WinPhone, but also those on PC (with Universal Windows apps)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss