Folks who make up the 1% - why are you holding on?

Impenneteri

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I like the underdog status and the W10 is not popular so when I open my phone they see a unique interface. I don't really use a lot of apps just sms, skype, spotify, email, and call. Just the core features. So it's a perfect fit. Mine is a 930

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I like the underdog status and the W10 is not popular so when I open my phone they see a unique interface. I don't really use a lot of apps just sms, skype, spotify, email, and call. Just the core features. So it's a perfect fit. Mine is a 930

People are mildly curious when they see us using Windows phones, I think they're not sure what to make of it, as there is actually very little difference between Android and IOS really, so WP seems different/modern. You can see why Apple say Android is a stolen product, though I might have more sympathy if Apple hadn't stolen pretty much everything and then claimed it was them who invented these features all along.

skyerkayjay

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
I love it - the live tiles let me know when something is happening, the graphics are terrific and the phone on the 1020 suites my needs for everyday photos and posting. I wish there were some more aps and some other things like security cameras but really love it. Have an Iphone 6s at work, hate it

aaronth86

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I just got my first Windows Phone this Christmas. It was a 928. I've upgraded to a like new Nokia icon. I wish I upgraded to Windows Phone sooner, I regret not having one when the icon was new.

Lagur

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
As an INTP, I don't really care as part of 1% maybe because I'm the type of guy who usually don't blend with the crowds and really like the challenge.

What really holding me on is my ms account and integrated services. I feel that every time I bought a new WP, all apps I need for me to become productive are all pre-installed and top notched.

I only have the cheap L640XL but it gets the job done. I rarely play games on it anyway as I mainly play games on my pc, laptop & xbox.

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm staying on Windows for a lot of reasons :

- I already bought countless apps and games. I would lose everything if I changed
- I love the UI ! I mean come on, it's like I'm carrying my desktop everywhere.
- The phones designs : had a 1020, a 830 and now a 950XL with a mozo cover, and when I look around me, everywhere, not any phone seem to be able to catch my attention
- THE PHOTOS ! Man, since the 1020 I've always been amazed by how beautiful the shots we take are. That is surely one thing we're ahead of everyone
- And the final reason : No way I'm giving any money to Apple or Google. Apple is just "Yea we're so cool rich and stuff and thangs", and Google on the other hand has never been my cup of tea. (Barely even using YouTube...)

I'm ok with the app gap, wish we didn't have the problem. But MS's mobile OS has its advantages.

And now since more and more people are leaving the platform... Well, I'm like the only guy with a "cool" "outstanding" phone, cuz that just isn't a Galaxy or a cute iPhone like they all seem to use these days

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My $.02 ...
I'm here by default (& my previous Nokia phones E71, N8, etc).

It's not iOS and the Apple walled garden.
WM10 allows for add on storage (SDcard).
Dislike the expense of an iPhone, plus the Apple elitist ...

It's not Android, which I find cumbersome & rife w holes.
While WM10 has diverged (from WM8 / 8.1), Android is absolutely fractured.
The ability in WM10 to get updates, ongoing.
WM10 is more secure, I open dicey emails on my mobile because of the sandboxing.

... and, I just like it.
The camera got me originally, the ease of access (my elderly MIL has a WinPhone), the flexibility, the (currently evolving) ecosystem.
When my banking apps come, I'll like it more.
Pok?mon Go, not so much.

Scotty_doesknow

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I've been around since the olden days of pocket pc & the Palm Treo era. The deep integration of the OS is beautiful. I'm just in love. It seems relevant to quote a line from A Bronx Tale here. The bar scene with the bikers. Sonny locks the door & says-"Now yous can't leave."

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I like the UI and I'm invested in the Windows eco system. I've never been a follower and therefore never downloaded an app just because everyone else had it. So, I don't miss the apps.

Sent from my Surface 3

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Because android has too many handsets to choose from just for a phone, too many apps for just one functionality, too many fads come and go, it just overwhelms me. And then there's the iPhone. Like, if I could just buy a phone that allows me to live my life, and use all that time thinking what phone to get and that cash to spend for an iPhone on something else, like travel - so I did. I purchased a Lumia 950 because it's all I needed. Then I went on a guided tour in Europe, and not only did I have fun, I had an adventure! It was one of the most amazing things I've done! It felt great, and definitely gonna go on another adventure again!

With Windows, you can do great things.

Windows. Do great things.

Cree Ray

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Been with Windows Mobile since 5x (2004-2005). Like you, tied to the eco system and frankly never had "app-gap syndrome", not now (W10) or then (WM4/5/6x)

I will continue to hold on until the day MS explicitly says Windows/MS will not support phones any more, but I don't think it will ever happen. And if it does, one thing for sure is will never be going to the xDroid side of the universe.

EvelynLee

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
I started with the Audiovox Thera in 2002ish, and have been using Windows phones since then. I am truly a ride or die - when Windows Phone dies or I am no longer able to use Windows Phone with my current carrier, I will be forced to choose something different.

Also, it annoys me to see the "popular" phone get praise for something my Thera (stylus and natural handwriting option) had in the early 2000s. But I can only blame Microsoft for not tooting their own horn, and getting the upper hand in the smartphone game early on. I believe things would be a lot different today for Windows Phone, had Microsoft hyped their product. I just don't recall them doing that.

So today, I must contemplate the possibility of having to change platforms because it is hard to stay optimistic on the future of my beloved Windows Phone.

I wish I could find some good intel on whether a new Windows 10 phone was coming to the masses in the US, particularly with my carrier, who apparently has a strained relationship with Windows Phone - further impacting my bleak outlook.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Been with Windows Mobile since 5x (2004-2005). Like you, tied to the eco system and frankly never had "app-gap syndrome", not now (W10) or then (WM4/5/6x)

I will continue to hold on until the day MS explicitly says Windows/MS will not support phones any more, but I don't think it will ever happen. And if it does, one thing for sure is will never be going to the xDroid side of the universe.

If MS ever do completely kill off mobile, there really are no other acceptable choices to me. I guess the lesser of the evils would be a Cyanogen version of Android with most of the crap ripped out, but even then, I wouldn't be happy about it.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Some of us are just stubborn :winktongue:

And if it currently works for you (it works for me) why ask why?

There will be a bit of an upsurge in Windows mobile, possibly a pushback against Android (or iOS) ...
resulting from Win10. Question, as always, is when (not IF) and ultimate market share achieved.
The OS's are achieving parity, there's nothing out there that's revolutionary (mix view live tiles ?) to differentiate ...

Time will tell. ... I still believe Android is a major exploit away from a tumble.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Interesting Question Indeed.

I tried Windows Phone with the Lumia 920 and I saw great potential. I thought the new Design language of Windows phone 8 was very creative and eye catching. I hoped it would be improved over time. My hopes didn't become true. Now I stick to the lumia 640 because I thought, that for a low budget (113?), better get a Windows Phone instead of an Android.
Whether my next smartphone will be a WM10 device will be determined with the next update on August 2nd.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Still sticking to Windows Phone and it's eco system because sadly there's no other alternative. Will never go back to Android because Google is pretty much evil and iOS... I would't be caught dead with anything that has to do with Apple.

Unfortunately MS has done everything it can to push it's users to other platforms. From utterly ruining Nokia, releasing bland colorless flagships, downgrading it's own UI, releasing a broken OS and a whole bunch of other inane decisions. As a Windows Phone user who recommended the platform to friends and family I feel embarrassed. I've never seen a company suck as much fun and joy out of a product as MS has with Windows Phone/Mobile/Whatever in the past few years.

theta_orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
lol, well....I expected to be part of the "10-15% still holding on" by now but I just have not been able to find an OS that fits me like Windows. For whatever reason, the pages of "icons" on iOS and Android leave me cold and I, for the life of me, can't figure out why only 1% of us prefer live tiles. My 920 was a victim of an unplanned "gravity-concrete" interface and my current Icon is a victim of...well...Verizon. It still performs flawlessly and I guess I'll wait for the Surface phone or ride into the smartphone sunset proudly clutching my Icon and ever mindful of gravitational mishaps. Best OS ever. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)