Folks who make up the 1% - why are you holding on?

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I very much disagree. I suppose what we interpret to be "slick feeling" is subjective, so opinions on that may vary, but fluidity isn't. W10M is objectively the slowest and most jittery (on the L830 we also get tearing and occasional screen blanking) version of MS' mobile OS yet. The only way to not notice is to have more powerful hardware (like the L950/XL) compensate for W10M's inefficiencies.

The only issue I've ever had with Windows 10 on the 830 was when I was under the Slow Ring of the Insider Preview.
Other than that, (on Release version of Windows 10) it was extremely stable, snappy and all around easy to use.

Not sure what you may be doing differently with your phone, but I had maybe a max of 8-10 apps total, all on the hard drive of the phone; none of which run in the background (that change tiles or whatever). I had apps like Facebook, Whatsapp running in the background and still never had lag.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I don't have lag. I do have jitter. I'm on the release build. I'm glad it's apparently working well for you. However, I've not seen a single L830 myself on which I'd say W10M ran well. I've not seen W10M on a L930 at all yet, but it would be extremely embarrassing if it wasn't smooth as silk on such a device. Scrolling screen content around smoothly isn't something that requires high tech hardware. Any cheapo device can do that perfectly well these days (even Android devices), provided the rendering stack isn't hopelessly inefficient.
There is no question that W10M has made sacrifices here. You just need a mid\low end device to really notice. Maybe some mid\low end models do better than others, but from what I've seen so far I can't confirm that.

Anyway, I'm still part of the 1% for nostalgic reasons. ☺

Last edited:

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
There is no question that W10M has made sacrifices here. You just need a mid\low end device to really notice. Maybe some mid\low end models do better than others, but from what I've seen so far I can't confirm that.
Well, I'm on a 640 now as my daily driver and aside from the on-screen navigation buttons, I can't tell much of a difference between the 640 and 830 with regards to overall speed and reliability; more of the same -- no complaints.

Makes me wonder if there's certain settings or apps that contribute to the instability other people are experience, that I don't. Do you use Cortana? That is one glaring omission from me. I don't use it. Also have the feedback policies set to bare minimum/nothing at all - I've seen others complain that having them full-on sometimes degrades performance.

jerreldulay

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Well, I'm on a 640 now as my daily driver and aside from the on-screen navigation buttons, I can't tell much of a difference between the 640 and 830 with regards to overall speed and reliability; more of the same -- no complaints.

Makes me wonder if there's certain settings or apps that contribute to the instability other people are experience, that I don't. Do you use Cortana? That is one glaring omission from me. I don't use it. Also have the feedback policies set to bare minimum/nothing at all - I've seen others complain that having them full-on sometimes degrades performance.

That seems like a sound explanation. Hardware that's more on the lean side isn't really designed for all their background processing and may be suffering from the phone trying to do too much behind the curtain.

bprak

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Best part of a windows phone is the app gap. Strange as it sounds. Gets my phone out of my face and me doing something productive.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, I'm still part of the 1% for nostalgic reasons. ☺

Were you a user of yesteryear's Pocket PCs too? I've been using Windows Mobile devices since WM2003, and that was one of the reasons why I tried out Windows Phone (the other being how much I disliked what Google did to the SD card permissions in KK).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That seems like a sound explanation. Hardware that's more on the lean side isn't really designed for all their background processing and may be suffering from the phone trying to do too much behind the curtain.
No. Thron may be right about background processes or Cortana playing a role. Misinterpreting that to be the hardware's fault is wrong however. Faulting the hardware is really not a sound explanation. Our devices even ship with multicore CPUs. That's exactly the type of hardware that should excel at handling background processes! Consider also that the Android OS allows for much heavier background processing, yet Android devices with the same hardware as the L830 have no such issues.
I'm a software engineer. I can assure you that ALL the explanations faulting the hardware are laughable. Hardware performance isn't the issue.
I'll wait for the AU and then start fiddling around with background processes and Cortana. Thron may be right that I can micromanage my way to a better experience. Not having to do that is one of the things that originally attracted me to WP7 however. 😕

Were you a user of yesteryear's Pocket PCs too?

Yup, you got it. ☺ However, I feel more nostalgic about WP7.5. What I used before WP7 was more about utility than passion ☺

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Both my husband and I have and love our WP8.1 but are frustrated that W10M still has not been released. The one big complaint is that Microsoft never makes any deadline they set for upgrades/new releases. One question I have for all you geniuses: I have an Android tablet and everytime I am online I get pop up ads in the middle of a movie regardless of the provider (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon....) and there seems to be no way to disable it. Does the same thing happen with Android phones? This would be a major drawback to getting an Android phone. And am I just STUCK with this nuisance/hassle or does anyone have a suggestion? I realize this is not a Google forum but so many of you seem quite knowledgeable so I thought I would ask. Thank you.

That's incredible after months of news everywhere on magazines and web, some people doesn't know is out since there :(

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
That's incredible after months of news everywhere on magazines and web, some people doesn't know is out since there :(

I've been seeing a lot of people online lately, who didn't even know Windows had a mobile operating system.
One had even responded to an article, under the assumption Microsoft had axed the mobile OS "before I had a chance to try it."

Ironically, the cancelled McLaren phone video originally posted on Windows Central has drummed up a lot of attention from people - without them linking to the article of course. One site in particular snagged the video and re-wrote their own clickbait style article about the phone.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Considering some people need to install an app to get the W10M update, rather than just being prompted, it's actually the opposite of incredible. 

Considering the mess of desktop auto upgrades..... :/
The truth IMHO is people never reads Microsoft mails on their hotmail accounts, they think are spam.... The same story of the reducing OneDrive space warning

Cherie93

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I didn't notice the update to for at least 2-3 monhs. I didn't get any mail from them. I googled it up some time ago by coincidence so yeah...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft knew that Pokemon Go will be a big hype for months - why didn't they start working on getting it on their platform back then?

It is really a shame because I feel WP has the best potential out there to be perfect mobile system. But the lack of big hype apps is kinda killing it.

I am also dissapointed that they force the bing use. Sorry, but I hate bing. I prefer google and yahoo.

How did MS know about that game? Can you back that statement? For sure I never heard of the game until people started talking about it on these forums in the past few days.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Both my husband and I have and love our WP8.1 but are frustrated that W10M still has not been released. The one big complaint is that Microsoft never makes any deadline they set for upgrades/new releases. One question I have for all you geniuses: I have an Android tablet and everytime I am online I get pop up ads in the middle of a movie regardless of the provider (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon....) and there seems to be no way to disable it. Does the same thing happen with Android phones? This would be a major drawback to getting an Android phone. And am I just STUCK with this nuisance/hassle or does anyone have a suggestion? I realize this is not a Google forum but so many of you seem quite knowledgeable so I thought I would ask. Thank you.

Could you share which devices you and your husband use? Some devices cannot upgrade while others can but there are a few steps as others have mentioned

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I very much disagree. I suppose what we interpret to be "slick feeling" is subjective, so opinions on that may vary, but fluidity isn't. W10M is objectively the slowest and most jittery (on the L830 we also get tearing and occasional screen blanking) version of MS' mobile OS yet. The only way to not notice is to have more powerful hardware (like the L950/XL) compensate for W10M's inefficiencies.

As others have mentioned, the speediness or lack thereof varies between users - we can't explain why that is so. Perhaps there's an app that causes system slow down or some have noticed cortana does a slow down when it is pinned to start. It could also be differing firmware or differing hardware. Maybe even which radios are on

Cherie93

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
For at least 2 months before release people were bragging about it everywhere on internet on gaming sites. Lost of my friends were waiting for it and telling me so much about it a few weeks before its premiere.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
For at least 2 months before release people were bragging about it everywhere on internet on gaming sites. Lost of my friends were waiting for it and telling me so much about it a few weeks before its premiere.
AND...since it's release, its been ALL OVER the news about people falling into manholes, into moving bikes, into moving traffic. WHO wouldn't want to enjoy a walk like that? All I know is I'd install it if MS had it in the store. :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14393.3]

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The truth IMHO is people never reads Microsoft mails on their hotmail accounts, they think are spam.... The same story of the reducing OneDrive space warning

Yes, that's the truth, and it will always be that way, which is why MS needs to take that into account. Apple gets by just fine without requiring people to read e-mails about updates. MS can too.

Perhaps there's an app that causes system slow down or some have noticed cortana does a slow down when it is pinned to start. It could also be differing firmware or differing hardware. Maybe even which radios are on

Yes yes yes... obviously there must be some reason. Unfortunately, whatever that reason is, it's just one more reason why W10M is a failure. :eck:

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
AND...since it's release, its been ALL OVER the news about people falling into manholes, into moving bikes, into moving traffic. WHO wouldn't want to enjoy a walk like that? All I know is I'd install it if MS had it in the store. :winktongue:

Peace. Alan

To be honest, if you're careful of your surroundings and respect people's private property, it's actually a lot of fun. I didn't think I would enjoy it at first, but when a group of friends invited me to this massive gathering of Pokemon Go players, I gotta say that I had a blast. I didn't take the game too seriously, mostly I just screwed around, but I really enjoyed the social aspect of being out, wandering around the city, and hanging with friends.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
To be honest, if you're careful of your surroundings and respect people's private property, it's actually a lot of fun. I didn't think I would enjoy it at first, but when a group of friends invited me to this massive gathering of Pokemon Go players, I gotta say that I had a blast. I didn't take the game too seriously, mostly I just screwed around, but I really enjoyed the social aspect of being out, wandering around the city, and hanging with friends.
Maybe you misunderstood me. I was telling the truth but trying to be humorous at the same time (a fault of mine).:smile:
I REALLY DO want Pok?mon Go! My only option as of now is to put it on my wifi-only iPad and use the mobile hotspot on my phone. BUT, now that I've thought it out loud, that might not work. Well... worth a try.:winktongue:

Peace. Alan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12