Folks who make up the 1% - why are you holding on?

davidD93

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The live tiles were a big part of me buying my first Windows Phone in 2013, and its still a big reason for me staying with Windows Mobile now - they are just so beautiful, stylish, unique, different, and useful! So much better than a boring static icon.

I'm not an Apple fan at all. I think their products are over-rated and over-priced, (not least because people are clearly willing to but their products at their prices), and that Apple nowadays only really have an effective marketing team rather than any exceptional products.

Android to me just seems so stale and boring compared to Windows 10 (although give me Android over Apple any day).

Sent using the WC Windows 10 app because the website forum is increasingly slow and buggy.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Plenty of doom and gloom everywhere. I've used Windows Mobile since 2003. Then Windows Phone from 2010. Then Windows 10 Mobile since day 1.

There have been app gaps, there still are.
There have been missing features like copy and paste.
There have been bugs like random reboots.
There has recently been Pok?mon Go. I'm still here.

If you've stayed with Microsoft's mobile operating system for a long time and are seeing yourself as one who will still be here till the last Windows Phone is sat on the shelf, why? What keeps you from "jumping ship"?

My reasons are: I'm too far, too deep invested into the ecosystem. I'm sold on the one ecosystem dream. I always back the underdog. You?

And here recently instead of a feeling of satisfaction I find myself wondering why am I among the <1%? All I want is a device that lasts all day......

Michael Tillman

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been on windows phone since late 2011 when I reluctantly left Symbian. After several months of adjusting I became a die hard windows phone fan. I love the UI so much that I could never leave for the others. I do have an iPhone SE for work and I find it to be rather dull. I must say however that I love the 4 inch screen. One handed operation at it's best. I'm quite happy with my Lumia 550. After using high end windows phones like the 925, 1020 and Samsung Ativ I must say that I'm very pleased with the quality of the 550 and I really enjoy the constant improvement of windows phone 10. I'm here until the end!

InspectHerGadget

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
They can't and won't get rid of windows mobile because it's part of the windows 10 family. They need it running so that the whole system can be complete. Updates are being released every month, bugs are being squashed, features are being added at a rapid pace -all this cannot mean that the mobile arm is dying

To me it smacks of Microsoft being divided on WP. We see on one hand it being kept alive with some development, but on the other hand Microsoft now killing off making phones for good. This leaves other companies as the only source of new phones. Meanwhile the market share is headed south. Soon the only WP owners will be dedicated people on this forum, half of whom are using phones years old and out of date. I really like my 1520 but it's had its day. The 950 is already due for update and there won't be any.

Microsoft needs to decide whether it wants WP or not. I just see tumbleweed and buzzards circling and all the buzz of a somber funeral ceremony.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
To me it smacks of Microsoft being divided on WP. We see on one hand it being kept alive with some development, but on the other hand Microsoft now killing off making phones for good. This leaves other companies as the only source of new phones. Meanwhile the market share is headed south. Soon the only WP owners will be dedicated people on this forum, half of whom are using phones years old and out of date. I really like my 1520 but it's had its day. The 950 is already due for update and there won't be any.

Microsoft needs to decide whether it wants WP or not. I just see tumbleweed and buzzards circling and all the buzz of a somber funeral ceremony.

check this article for some good info: Microsoft and the duo user Part V: The 13 companies building Windows 10 phones | Windows Central

The 950 is due for an update in what sense? It's still a great device and getting better with each OS update.

As has been circulated in rumours for a long time, any new device for a small screen is expected next year in the first half. So an 18 month gap between the last high performance lumia and a new device

jmaga3080

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
To me is something like a hate/love relationship haha. I used Android for a long time, and I like it, we have to admit it is very good. But what makes me coming back to Windows Mobile (I'm using a Lumia 930 as my daily driver) is that essence, that charm that only Windows phones have...yes, it is filled with faults, and I hope someday it will be as mature as the others, but no other OS is that simple to use, yet not boring. And, well, it's that hope of the "perfect" Windows Mobile that keeps me on board. I may turn again to an Android phone, sometime in the future, but I will never get rid of my Windows phone. I will always come back to it.

WPfan

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm sticking with it because I have been in the ecosystem this long, why not stick it out. I know that there are a lot of missing apps but none are must haves for me. I use android for my company phone and it just doesn't do anything for me. Not a ton of experience with iPhone but it just seems boring to me. So far Windows phone works for me. As long as it supported I see no reason to switch, but who knows what will happen.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I think they are doing this, through the pc though

Yeah, but how many people really use Cortana to verbally ask for something, on their PC?
Talk about a 1% deal... ;-]

Maybe I'm out of touch, it's entirely possible.
Unless I use my Bluetooth headset, I have one mic for my PC, on a really old webcam, and if I plug it in, the driver install crashes Win10, every time.
Maybe someday we'll be talking to our computers (doubtful in cubicle-land), like HAL 9000, but call me a huge skeptic ;-]

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Windows phones do last all day, even days actually.

Well then mine must be an odd days phone then lol :)

Actually Chintan, there are days at 5:00 my battery is below 20%. With my HTC One M8 on 8.1 it's battery would be high 40's to low 50's using my phone in the same manner.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

I really don't care if Microsoft is not making phones, in fact I believe they were a software company to begin with weren't they? I would just like them to write software that rocks and let companies like Panasonic make a powerful device to run it.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I really don't care if Microsoft is not making phones, in fact I believe they were a software company to begin with weren't they? I would just like them to write software that rocks and let companies like Panasonic make a powerful device to run it.

Yep, this was always the main business, the only real hardware were the high-quality (if mostly basic) mice, and then a few keyboards, and then XBox, when it came along.
There were some other h/w disasters, such as Zune (actually a really good player IMO, Apple was just better at marketing and MS gave up), a couple of small ones, and then the latest phone debacle. From the outset, the Nokia purchase concerned me, and I'm not even much of a shareholder anymore either. They just seem to struggle to gain a foothold in markets where there are already entrenched products, with a big fan-base.
Software, they do well as the underdog, most/many times.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but how many people really use Cortana to verbally ask for something, on their PC?
Talk about a 1% deal... ;-]

Maybe I'm out of touch, it's entirely possible.
Unless I use my Bluetooth headset, I have one mic for my PC, on a really old webcam, and if I plug it in, the driver install crashes Win10, every time.
Maybe someday we'll be talking to our computers (doubtful in cubicle-land), like HAL 9000, but call me a huge skeptic ;-]

I actually use it. I know, it sounds kind of gimmicky, but my laptop is pretty much awake when I'm awake, sleeping when I'm sleeping, so when I'm in the same room but not in front of it, and I want to set a reminder or ask it for basic info, I'll speak to Cortana. I don't use it all the time, just when I find it convenient.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It is a great OS but, it's just too bad that it's dealing with the Microsoft poor marketing. I still have my ICON (Verizon users have a crappy selection of WP devices) but, have almost fully moved on. I love Windows Phone and have been with these devices from the very first HPC (CE 1.0) device and have had tons of devices over the years, even jumped directly from PocketPC to Windows Phone.. and have had 6 Windows Phone devices.

A lot invested in Microsoft's bottom line. Years later, Apps are still a problem. Device add-ons like Smart-waches or even basic features like Tap-TO-PAY on Windows phone, YEARS later only to find out that a lot of users wont even get it.

I hate apple, was never an Android fan but, I had to go to a different phone for a while. It's really funny once your in the whole ecosystem on a supported OS it really is amazing what the options are and how much I missed by being a dedicated hard core Windows Phone fan...

Day one, I was using tap to pay.... My Pebble watch could be used with out a hacked sideloaded buggy app, Even the band 2...I can still use Cortana....and every one of Microsoft's apps. The even more funny thing, are the MICROSOFT apps for the other platforms are FAR better than they are on Windows Phone. This is not even with the 3 party apps, I don't use a lot but, there are a few key ones that I would of loved on WIndows Phone.

Like I said before and I will say again, over an over. Windows Phone is a beautiful OS but, it's pledged with a bunch of hopes, lies and dreams that don't look like they will ever come true (the lies are for a different discussion).

Its just all too bad.... :(

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
What is a basic feature in one region is unheard of in other regions. So tap to pay? We have something called mpesa in Kenya, that's our tap to pay - and you know what? It works on any phone, even the the most simplest of phones because it works from the SIM card itself :winktongue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Pesa

InspectHerGadget

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
check this article for some good info: Microsoft and the duo user Part V: The 13 companies building Windows 10 phones | Windows Central

The 950 is due for an update in what sense? It's still a great device and getting better with each OS update.

As has been circulated in rumours for a long time, any new device for a small screen is expected next year in the first half. So an 18 month gap between the last high performance lumia and a new device

I read the article. It does sound like Microsoft are committed to WP.

The problem is it will take sometime to get WP off the ground again. We all know it is a great system but I also know it will be several years, if it is successful, before I am likely to find the apps I want. In the meantime I will use my iPhone and monitor progress.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

The problem is it will take sometime to get WP off the ground again. We all know it is a great system but I also know it will be several years, if it is successful, before I am likely to find the apps I want. In the meantime I will use my iPhone and monitor progress.
Some business/corporate goals/visions DO take time to come to fruition and evolve along the way. I'm just glad that MS IS willing to apply themselves to a plan of several years. Though it can hurt during the waiting.
One bit of joy was getting the AU on my 2 laptops. So both laptops and cellphone are Windows 10, Nokia 2520 is 8.1RT and even my 1 adopted child, an iPad has OneDrive OneNote and Outlook on it.
Things ARE getting better. So "I'm" a happy dog :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14393.5]

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

in several years, will apps remain relevant? The future is uncertain - is MS trying to shape the future (think bots) or are they supposed to ride the waves that others make?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
in several years, will apps remain relevant? The future is uncertain - is MS trying to shape the future (think bots) or are they supposed to ride the waves that others make?
WHOA !!!! I don't even know WHAT to think about THAT !!! I mean I understand what you're saying. But I just can't tell WHAT I think. Are you a philosopher or something like that? :smile:

Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14393.5]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)