Folks who make up the 1% - why are you holding on?

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
ios has full support everywhere in the world? how did you come to that conclusion? The number of iphones I've seen in my city in the last 2 years has numbered to less than 30 while windows phones are 100s of times as many

It's widely known that the demographic of your market has yielded little success for iOS because of lower income. That's why WP and Android have little success in India. It's not rocket science, and regardless, you're nitpicking. The majority of developers around the world release for iOS first, it's no secret.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It's widely known that the demographic of your market has yielded little success for iOS because of lower income. That's why WP and Android have little success in India. It's not rocket science, and regardless, you're nitpicking. The majority of developers around the world release for iOS first, it's no secret.

Well, I'm in Kenya and I've been to India, Tanzania, and many of my friends have been to other countries too. Majority still have fewer ios devices than is widely believed.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As much as I like the Nexus line, I'm afraid that lack of wireless charging is going to drive me away from them. From all appearances, this years devices won't have it either, although we do not yet know for sure. I had wireless charging for 3 years, and after getting the Nexus 6P a few months ago and going without it, I realize how much I loved it!

With quick charge 3.0 you don't need qi charging any more. Plug it in for 20 minutes and be fine for most of the day.

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My wife is trying out the Lumia 950. She can't stand it. The podcast app doesn't sync properly. When she takes photos and goes to view them, she gets a black screen half the time (image processing, come back later)

She has come from an iPhone - and that kind of stuff just works.

I like Lumia. Had a 1520 and 950xl but I cant deny that Lumia is still really buggy. My nexus 6 will update to nougat shortly and that might become my daily device again.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
WP/W10M is by far the best mobile OS out there. The app gap doesn't effect me, except for the lack of a SiriusXM app. I jumped to Android for Sirius but the moment the UWP app is released I'm coming right back.

I don't care what everyone else says. I don't care what everyone else buys. The world is wrong. We are right. Windows Phone > all

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been a Nokia fan since 2000 from symbian to WP7 to WP8 to W10. I don't see myself jumping to apple, which I hate. Maybe android, but I see it as a complicated OS. I've gotten so used to the WP platform.

UgoCat

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi to all.
Recently i've reached the limit, just an example: navigation app (copilot and sygic) work bad, crash and cannot re-open it. Soft reset, nothing, reinstall, nothing, after some time thay started work again.I still have plan to move from my 925 to 950 (here it costs around $300). This is just an example. I don't like apple but i'm starting to look at android, maybe the future nexus. I need phone that just works without problem, the answer is obvious, apple, but as told i don't like it.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi to all.
Recently i've reached the limit, just an example: navigation app (copilot and sygic) work bad, crash and cannot re-open it. Soft reset, nothing, reinstall, nothing, after some time thay started work again.I still have plan to move from my 925 to 950 (here it costs around $300). This is just an example. I don't like apple but i'm starting to look at android, maybe the future nexus. I need phone that just works without problem, the answer is obvious, apple, but as told i don't like it.

Waze still works like a charm

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
With quick charge 3.0 you don't need qi charging any more. Plug it in for 20 minutes and be fine for most of the day.

Yes I know, you are correct, and I have been enjoying quick charge. But at the same time there is nothing to replace the convenience of wireless charging. I have two of the Nokia DT-910's, one on my desk at work and one on my bed headboard. It was so nice to just set it on there and not worry about plugging it in.

I'm planning to get a new phone in November. If I do not get a Nexus, I might go with a US unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, or a Note 7 if a US unlocked version is available by then. The big selling point for Samsung is Samsung Pay.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm planning to get a new phone in November. If I do not get a Nexus, I might go with a US unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, or a Note 7 if a US unlocked version is available by then. The big selling point for Samsung is Samsung Pay.
B&H Photo should have unlocked Note 7 available by then.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
B&H Photo should have unlocked Note 7 available by then.

Yes, and Best Buy and maybe Amazon. The problem is that I do not believe Samsung has yet confirmed that a US factory unlocked version is coming. We're kind of assuming it is because of the S7.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I only want a 'first party' phone for security, so a Nexus, iPhone, or Lumia
Well, Apple added OIS to the iPhone 7 but decided to remove the headphone port. That makes the decision easier. :) So now it definitely is between my current 950XL and whatever Google comes up with next. One more month to the (rumored?) announcement.

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I just recently tried out the Samsung S7. The Google apps are slick, and it's amazing how well you can customize the phone, but the vast majority of apps I tried were highly rated and terribly designed. As for the device itself, the phone ran hot whenever I used it (reminded me of the beta of WP10), and I had phantom taps on the right side when I was holding it.

I like iOS, but the hardware is incredibly overpriced, with no replaceable battery or microsd.

Windows is actually pretty fantastic except for the app gap, and I don't miss the apps. I've recently had to start working more intensely with social media, and there are either first party apps or great substitutes for everything.

I don't blame people for leaving (particularly if they were struggling through the 950 beta period) but I have a phone that works great for me and is far less expensive.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Let's be real, the only thing that's keeping me on using WP is I'm stuck with it and I don't have cash for a new phone. This is probably the case for most of you as well. And if we're talking about the OS(or hardware) I'm a fool to say it's superior or better, I mean c'mon it's 2016.

mpjones

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
When my contact is up in mid 2017, Ill review it then. I don't want an "enterprise" phone though so I think ill fall back to the family default iOS.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Make that 1.0000001% hanging on. This week, I sold my Note 5 and bought a 950xl. I liked the Note 5 but it was so confusing to me since I came from WP over the years. WM 10 and the 950xl just has things in the right place to find for me and does what I want it to do. Loyalty had something to do with this decision. If I could afford the x3, I would and probably will in a year when the price drops under $500. Love the 6" screen from my dearly departed 1520 and this would be the #1 drawing card to go with the x3 in the future.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
1 - KEY: It is the single most secure mobile operating system. Should search up some Black Hat Defcon commentary on just how hard it is to crack. The most poignant comment was "without physical access to the device [Windows phone] I wouldn't even bother trying"
2 - System gets regular updates from the OS maker - rules out 99% of the Android market
3 - I can customize my homescreen and see upcoming meetings and their locations quickly. Customization and the ability to pin almost anything, any setting or link to the homescreen is big. But this has to come with updates from the OS maker, so only Nexus or Apple.
4 - I can pin individual mailboxes to the home screen so that counters for important things are dealt with quickly but also so that less important mail that streams in all the time doesn't cause me to "look" all the time. Apple can do part of this with two mail programs but you still can't individually track two mail boxes inside the same mail account separately from a glance at the home screen.
5 - I can connect with any Miracast device. I don't "need" Apple TV. Only need that if it's the right tool for the job and I think it is not.
6 - Wireless charging and fast charging are game changing even with big batteries.
7 - A real file system, that with a plug of a USB cable I can access, rearrange or drop files into my phone at need.
8 - A very good camera (for its kind). Despite having a plethora of SLR gear to choose from, it is the camera that is on you that trumps all the stuff in the closet. And I almost never, ever use a flash so OIS is very highly appreciated.
9 - A dark background OS. Sorry but the fruit crew literally haven't given up on the day glo colors from the 1980's. I think it's a cute tribute to Jobs' history, but they need to notice the number of phones that come in black today. I don't need white backgrounds and bright screens. The Windows OS is much more refined. Oh and the consistency of the interface compared to Nexus, even if they did break that a bit to add features in Mobile 10, is much smarter. Dev's comment this same consistency helps in making apps too.
10 - Big and little. I can alter the importance of an icon on my home screen. Calendar and phone are big, hit it fast icons, where I could care very little about others but still need them on the homescreen for that once in a while moment.
11 - A browser that works. Safari is not bad, but not good either. Chrome is ok, not great but ok. Since I don't use Chrome at all on the desktop (ever), Win 10 mobile gains me synching favorites as well. Handy. And why oh why can't Apple figure out or at least offer the option to put the browser tools at the bottom? Win 10 Mobile manages this. 25% bonus score for just being intelligent.
12 - Back and search. I can't tell you how many times the back button has saved me and the long back to sift through apps is again, crazy useful as I open a lot of stuff and leave it hanging. A search button? Again, Apple couldn't figure out how to make it look good so they didn't use it. Priority for Apple is looking good. Usefulness comes somewhere 3rd or 4th I think. 2nd is can they sell you an accessory to go with the feature.
13 - OLED. Not on all devices but it's on most of them. Apple = zero Nexus 2016 = zero
14 - apps has what I want, Office, Skype and Skype for Business, BoA, Fidelity, Etrade, Runtastic, Pandora, GoToMeeting/Webex, even Cnet and Bloomberg and AnyConnect. The browser (because it is a good one) connects to all else I need and that's about it.

Apple competes but it's less useful to me. I don't need unsecure home security apps, that's what professionals are for. Sure having some things like FIOS apps would be nice, but honestly would I use that on my phone? No not really. I think we go into a phone store with glittery eyes, looking at all the "look what you can do" and in the end, day after day, the things you actually do don't involve 1% of all those could do things. If I was truly missing something from another platform (feel free to suggest below but I've not found a thing yet) I could switch. I have to use all the OS's to stay versed in what others use and help them with their devices. But Windows is faster, more time efficient and less wasteful of resources and time for me. Apple would be my 2nd just because of updates and better security. Due to security issues that just never end, Android would be my bottom last choice, pretty much only if there was no other kind of phone.

There you are

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium