11-02-2016 06:12 AM
319 123 ...
tools
    Plenty of doom and gloom everywhere. I've used Windows Mobile since 2003. Then Windows Phone from 2010. Then Windows 10 Mobile since day 1.

There have been app gaps, there still are.
    There have been missing features like copy and paste.
    There have been bugs like random reboots.
    There has recently been Pokmon Go. I'm still here.

If you've stayed with Microsoft's mobile operating system for a long time and are seeing yourself as one who will still be here till the last Windows Phone is sat on the shelf, why? What keeps you from "jumping ship"?

My reasons are: I'm too far, too deep invested into the ecosystem. I'm sold on the one ecosystem dream. I always back the underdog. You?
    07-16-2016 12:26 PM
    Plenty of doom and gloom everywhere. I've used Windows Mobile since 2003. Then Windows Phone from 2010. Then Windows 10 Mobile since day 1.

There have been app gaps, there still are.
    There have been missing features like copy and paste.
    There have been bugs like random reboots.
    There has recently been Pokmon Go. I'm still here.

If you've stayed with Microsoft's mobile operating system for a long time and are seeing yourself as one who will still be here till the last Windows Phone is sat on the shelf, why? What keeps you from "jumping ship"?

My reasons are: I'm too far, too deep invested into the ecosystem. I'm sold on the one ecosystem dream. I always back the underdog. You?
    Twitt the same to Dona, and let's see the answer, considering she is working twice than Gabe....
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-16-2016 12:37 PM
    To me the phone has almost every thing I want (Apart from Skype and getting calling from the PC is sorted out).

Compared to the other systems Windows is far ahead in this way and like you I want that "ecosystem", so my alternative would be jump ship entirely to Mac or Ubuntu, but I feel Windows is a better bet.

I have a banking app, I don't drink coffee, I don't play many games and I hate downloading an app and then deleting it, whereas with Universal apps almost everything I do on the phone, tablet or desktop is replicated across the devices.
    Last edited by Bobvfr; 07-17-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    07-16-2016 01:05 PM
    I'm still sold on how it surfaces the information and tools I want on my mobile and the growing universality of Windows across devices is the cherry on the parfait.
    07-16-2016 01:34 PM
    I keep my 950 on wifi just to see what is happening in Windows land. Hopefully they will one day get enough of the core features I want to use it as my sole device buts it's just not there yet. But I hold on to it and try occasionally. Would really like to see a third alternative att some point.
    07-16-2016 02:31 PM
    I dislike Apple (everything proprietary, overpriced mediocre hardware) and android is rife with bloatware, malware, and gets laggy.

So basically there's nowhere else for me to go. I had a core group of friends that all had WP phones ever since our days with the Samsung Focus. I'm the last holdout. They've all gotten iPhones.
    07-16-2016 03:37 PM
    There is nothing missing from the app store that I need.
    I like the OS; Android is jumbled and chaotic to me. Same with Iphones, I don't like either. I also don't want to pay an exorbitant amount for a cellphone.
    My longest lasting phones have been Nokia Windows phones.
    My most durable (surviving countless drops, roughness) have been Nokia Windows phones. I am on my first non-Nokia Windows phone with the 640, hoping not much has changed!

Right now, the only way I'd switch, is if Microsoft killed off Windows Mobile.
    07-16-2016 03:48 PM
    I'm sold on the one ecosystem dream.
    this

and i hate the alternatives more than the bugs here

btw have you guys noticed how cheap windows phones get after a while? lol to think that i paid full price and shipping for a 928 shortly after launch, now i cant even think of giving 300$ for a 950
    07-16-2016 03:49 PM
    Only two reasons....1) continuum. My phone is also my daily desktop....2) system buy in, I have an Xbox one, Microsoft band 2, surface pro 3 and 4, Lumia 950 & 1520 and three other W10 laptops. I'm all in
    07-16-2016 04:03 PM
    I just love the platform, I could never leave. I have other phones like Nexus and iPhones, but I love WP/M
    07-16-2016 06:17 PM
    I happened to like the interface and how Windows Mobile works and how well it works with Windows 10 Desktop OS. I like the different unique platform and ecosystem. It's easy to manage. Continuum. Live Tiles.
    07-16-2016 06:20 PM
    It just works.

Majority of people with iphones and samsungs spend allll that money to do what... WhatsApp , Facebook and Instagram.

I can do that just fine on my 640 , thank you very much.
    07-16-2016 06:46 PM
    The whole reason I bought a smartphone in the first place was so that I wouldn't be chained to my desk all day. I am more efficient with a Windows phone than anything else. The power of person-based reminders has been a game changer for me, directly managing 100 people. I am trying to downsize my life, not add things to it. As such, I don't want Pokmon or Clash of Clans or anything like that.
    Last edited by NatKingColeslaw; 07-16-2016 at 07:25 PM.
    07-16-2016 07:05 PM
    Me I'm one of them odd balls that push call and it's a phone.
    The rest of it's a very big bonus.
    Especially the part where I can sync back and forth between all my Windows 10 devices.

I started off with a Windows95 yard sale computer and and a Motorola MicroTac mobile phone. ( the brick). I was rather happy then to...kinda. Just the BSOD's, send error reports, IE5.5, Network Neighborhood configuring, the sound of the dial-up and to many desktop shortcuts that would bog your system down to name a few.

Tongue in cheek...
    If your unhappy with Windows 10 perhaps choose the old Windows Tada startup sound as your one and only notification sound on your device.��
    Last edited by gbm97; 07-17-2016 at 01:30 AM. Reason: I've had a wee pinch of Scotch tonight
    07-17-2016 12:40 AM
    I like Windows ecosystem. I've played games like Age of empires and Baldur's gate on PC when I was little, and learned slowly about OS that run those stuff. Over the years, being productive become really important, doing Word, Power point, Excel, browsing and writing mails. I bought Nokia phones and was amazed how they worked so nice and their quality. On my last symbian I put some Windows 7 emulator and became fond of Live tiles. I've tried other OS like Linux and Mac, other devices like iPod, iPhone and stuff, but still I'm finding Windows ecosystem to work best for my tastes.
    Kevin Rush and ananve like this.
    07-17-2016 01:45 AM
    The camera won me in the 1020, the tile interface with picture background is just great, the stability, the speed, the predictability now with windows 10 across devices, the ease of typing, great backup services, etc
    07-17-2016 02:27 AM
    I can be more productive with Windows Phone. I also enjoy using the platform and I am invested in other Microsoft systems too so it was a logical choice.
    07-17-2016 03:57 AM
    I will Switch to Android soon because it works 100% with the Windows Eco-System.

The App-Gap dont really touch me but the fact that Microsoft is going to "Restart" on the Business and the marked share is under 1%, holds me from thinking that there is a future for Windows Mobile.
    They threaded me with not giving W10 to my 1020, "Here" is no more on Windows Mobile, everything is also available on Android and they dont say nothing good about the Future of Windows 10 Mobile. Im sure they will Keep Windows Mobile alive for a Long time but thats not enough for me. For the Money i want to pay i can expact much more. It is now 1 Year after W10 Comes out and there is still no "BOOM" noticeable in the Store. AND i can still come back when i Need a new phone some years ago and Windows Mobile is good enough.

I will miss the Home-Screen :)
    07-17-2016 07:10 AM
    I'm rather new to the OS, only the last couple of years. The ecosystem, as others have mentioned, is what is keeping me with my 950 and 640. Nothing beats it.
    07-17-2016 07:16 AM
    I'm rather new to the OS, only the last couple of years. The ecosystem, as others have mentioned, is what is keeping me with my 950 and 640. Nothing beats it.
    you've given me the hypothesis that those users who used to use windows for a long time on mobile have something to gripe about while users like you and me who came on board when 8 was released have a lot of optimism
    07-17-2016 08:17 AM
    I was always using android/ios. I only decided to give windows phone a try when I saw the lumia 520 was dirt cheap. I was merely curious and went for it. At first I didn't like it that much, then when windows 8.1 came out I started liking it a lot more. I especially liked the start screen more than anything. I ended up getting a lumia 830 to test out a more powerful phone as a daily driver using a prepaid card. Part of it was I didn't want to keep paying the carrier fees for something I barely used outside of texting/chatting. I never really used the phone much for calls. So I was pretty pleased with it. It wasn't till I started testing out windows 10 preview builds that I really started liking windows mobile. The Start screen enhancements and customization were great. The settings enhancements, action center, everything was really appealing to me. I would say though that 90% of my like for windows mobile is the start screen. And it's not really the live tiles. I find them useful for some things like weather or just knowing the number of unseen items. It's about being able to customize the look to my needs, make it more efficient/organized and differentiate myself with the look I find most appealing. Android did allow for it to some extent with a lot of hacks. But this was straight out of the box. And it just looked better in my opinion. And to this day I have my android/ios phones and I still prefer windows 10 mobile. The start screen is a big part of windows 10 mobile and it's the least understood part too. No one really knows much about the Start screen because MS doesn't educate people. They don't make any ads that show off how unique start screens can be made. People just know it as the boring default. That's how I knew it till I started playing around. That's how my friends knew it till they saw my start screen. That's how people all over the world know it. MS ignores its best feature go figure.

Anyways, I'm not loyal to any ecosystem. Even if I purchase stuff the purchases made me happy for the time I used them and I'm ok moving over and making purchases elsewhere. I think UWP will make it easier to move over because you will still be able to take advantage of your purchases on the desktop.

Twitt the same to Dona, and let's see the answer, considering she is working twice than Gabe....
    Gabe was split between working with engineering group and insiders. The only reason you see more builds now because Gabe can now work with engineering properly and deliver builds/fixes faster and Dona is able to get the testing started and finished quicker as a result. Both are still doing a great job. Don't discredit Gabe.
    Last edited by Krystianpants; 07-17-2016 at 08:43 AM.
    07-17-2016 08:33 AM
    Sometimes age can be a blessing in that I couldn't care less about Pokmon or whatever the latest gotta have app is. You poor millennial hipsters, it must be tough having to keep up with the crowd. ;P

Lord willing I am staying with windows whether the platform sinks or swims. Android and iOS just "don't get it" for me. Would rather go back to a flip phone.
    07-17-2016 09:00 AM
    *device still works
    *can't install other os on that phone
    *camera
    ananve and editguy like this.
    07-17-2016 09:48 AM
    Continuum and universal apps are the 2 main points right now. I actually use apps even on my desktop now esp for youtube, netflix, reddit, twitter, news and anything facebook. Never used Apple stuff, did like Android for a while but after the worst phone ever HTC One X I had enough. Really happy with 950 XL right now, hopefully devs will continue to develop great apps for this universal platform.

Sent from mTalk
    ananve likes this.
    07-17-2016 10:15 AM
    Two reasons: the camera and the user-friendly style of UI.
    I'm not an app person so the app gap doesn't really bother me. If I ever make the switch that'll only happen in case there's no relevant Windows Mobile handsets to choose from.
    Kevin Rush and ananve like this.
    07-17-2016 10:16 AM
319 123 ...