What do you do with your phone's NFC?

jerreldulay

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
When I'm out shopping for Skylanders, I use the NFC to check whether or not the Skylanders are the rarer ones that light up by drawing power from NFC. Just set them on the phone and watch the pretty lights.

jerreldulay

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Lol
I had to look up "Skylanders"
Didn't know what that was :)

Haha, for years I refused to touch the bloody things because I thought they were baby toys. Then I bought a couple on sale as a joke, intending to make a mean spirited youtube video about them. Within an hour, I had decided I needed to have every single game in the series and every figure... They're just so dang fun. Plus, it's fun hunting for the rare ones that illuminate using the power of witchcraft... I mean alien technology... I mean NFC.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Nothing. First thing I do after setting the phone up after a factory reset is disable NFC. No wallet payment in India and I almost never use bluetooth for file transfers.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Haha, for years I refused to touch the bloody things because I thought they were baby toys. Then I bought a couple on sale as a joke, intending to make a mean spirited youtube video about them. Within an hour, I had decided I needed to have every single game in the series and every figure... They're just so dang fun. Plus, it's fun hunting for the rare ones that illuminate using the power of witchcraft... I mean alien technology... I mean NFC.

Interesting. Funny how you plan to make fun of something and then find yourself really liking it.

Alright, going to try to stop derailing this thread. I turn it off every time too, no matter what OS I am using atm.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I rarely use it for anything other than sending my wife a text every morning as I leave for work letting her know that the garage door is down. Ha ha
My wedding ring has an NFC chip in it that I programmed to send that particular text. I know. I'm lazy and a bit dorky, but I'm ok with that. :D

Did it come that way, or ... ?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Probably, there are actually some jewelry you can buy with NFC tags embedded. So that the recipient can get a message from their loved one via an app on their (non-Windows) phone or some such nonsense. We looked at some of them in a store, the wife was intrigued but the jewelry itself was "ugly"

As to the original question, what do I do with NFC, I have one of those advertising stickers that came with my 1020, tap the phone to it and it proudly goes to a 404 page at Nokia.com. My Samsung C460 printer also has a NFC tap area that I haven't yet figured out how to do anything useful with.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I still have my real wedding band, but I bought this a few years ago, and wear it as a stand in. It's actually quite interesting. It can be programmed to open your front door, provided you have a "smart" doorknob installed. I've seen it used to send locations to certain people. For example, if you're on a run and you want to let somebody know where you are, you can swipe your ring over your phone and it'll send a text to whomever you have programmed in to receive it. Of course, WP isn't fully supported with a decent app from the company that makes the ring, but any NFC writer will work on it. Is it useful for everyone? Probably not. Is it a neat little gadget to mess around with that also has a few relevant uses? Probably so. And, they only cost around $40 US.

https://store.nfcring.com/

9a636e6991072a52fb55a3a96cfec6ce.jpg

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Checked the link you posted, kinda liked the black one, myself ... though I don't normally wear my wedding ring,
BUT, if it served a purpose ...
Yeah. They've increased their selection since I got mine. I bought it during their Kickstarter, and they only had two choices at the time.
Really, the ideas of implementation are up to the Bluetooth capabilities on your device and your imagination. I will say that the only downside is that you can only program the ring with two Bluetooth functions at a time...one on each side of the outward face of the ring. I have a text message on one side and a location message on the other side. If I ever want to change one or both, I just log into the app and assign a new task. It's nifty. :)

HdHunter

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been using NFC when I tap and pay.:) I thought it would be cumbersome getting the 950 XL in and out of my pocket while shopping but it's not.

jerreldulay

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Well, I still have my real wedding band, but I bought this a few years ago, and wear it as a stand in. It's actually quite interesting. It can be programmed to open your front door, provided you have a "smart" doorknob installed. I've seen it used to send locations to certain people. For example, if you're on a run and you want to let somebody know where you are, you can swipe your ring over your phone and it'll send a text to whomever you have programmed in to receive it. Of course, WP isn't fully supported with a decent app from the company that makes the ring, but any NFC writer will work on it. Is it useful for everyone? Probably not. Is it a neat little gadget to mess around with that also has a few relevant uses? Probably so. And, they only cost around $40 US.

https://store.nfcring.com/

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160720/9a636e6991072a52fb55a3a96cfec6ce.jpg

That's exciting. I'm pretty sure I need one now.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I initially got into NFC when i had a Nexus 4, I never used it for any payments but had been given a bag of NFC tags at a tradeshow which I had used to program certain things in an NFCtools app. When I was using a Lumia 640 LTE as my daily driver I used an app called NFC toolkit to program if this then that type commands for certain NFC tags which i kept on a keyring. Sad to say I have never used NFC since moving to a Lumia 830.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion