What do you do with your phone's NFC?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't use it usually.

I did use it in the past to bring up Wi-Fi settings in certain areas or give me a quick link to a certain site I'd use a lot. (with info put on a tag)

I got a secondhand Nexus 5 with buttons on the back (https://dimple.io/) and it's actually a smart idea, although not on any other OS I believe.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Initially it was billed as an easy way to share files, music, etc; that's what I recall from its inception.
I don't think I've ever used mine, on any phone, I leave it off, figure it's mostly one more radio, draining the battery. Given the radio distance/strength spec (I believe this is 10-12cm), it's supposed to be a lot less of a drain than Bluetooth though, by comparison.
Once tap-to-pay gets a bit more widely-used/tested (on Win phone), I'll probably consider this as an option.

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I tried it with my colleague's Sony Xperia Z5 to exchange video file, but the Sony phone complained my phone does not support Android Beam.

I don't really know how to make it happen.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It's weird. At first it's main purpose was sharing files I guess, and later it grew into other things. But it's still not a big thing I think.
I mean, the thing that I hate the most is that it's actually just an initiator. If you want to transfer a file from one phone to another (lets say 2 Lumias) it's not going to do anything on it's own. It requires a lot of work and at the end it just transfers it over bluetooth. I mean wtf... if i wanted to transfer it over bluetooth I wouldn't even bother going to NFC. I can guess it's the same thing with Android beam.
So I also agree that it's just another radio that drains battery and doesn't do much. I keep it off at all times.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It's weird. At first it's main purpose was sharing files I guess, and later it grew into other things. But it's still not a big thing I think.
I mean, the thing that I hate the most is that it's actually just an initiator. If you want to transfer a file from one phone to another (lets say 2 Lumias) it's not going to do anything on it's own. It requires a lot of work and at the end it just transfers it over bluetooth. I mean wtf... if i wanted to transfer it over bluetooth I wouldn't even bother going to NFC. I can guess it's the same thing with Android beam.
So I also agree that it's just another radio that drains battery and doesn't do much. I keep it off at all times.

The one "theoretical" advantage is using it like this, for protocol "handshake". Because the proximity requirement is so low, it's hard for someone to hack this.
So, if you say exchanged public/private keys, to encrypt some data via Bluetooth, you could design a system that would be easy to sync, and pretty difficult to compromise, without someone noticing.

As some mentioned, some of the NFC protocols work great in their devices, others not so much. I suspect there has been little investment into solid implementation for most devices, and and not a ton of testing.
The one exception is the tap-to-pay, that does seem to be ramping up pretty quickly.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Tap to share... and waiting for my bank to approve HCE so I can use tap to pay.

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
i used to share music and photos with fellow wp converts to make isheep jealous, now it just makes funny noises, so it has never been useful really, i've been thinking about buying a door lock that could unlock with a tap or something, but na, nothing yet

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Other than wallet?

Are there any other applications?

I mainly use it for pairing with Bluetooth Headphones.
Its super convenient.
I think you can buy tags and program them to launch applications etc. like in your car, you scan a tag to launch music, but integration needs to be deeper on W10M, cuz you want to open the app AND DO SOMETHING.
OH oH just found something. Random Music Player in the Store can be launched via NFC tag. But it does not automatically play music, you still have to press a button.
Microsoft also introduced trusted Tags in WP8, does that still exist in W10M?

Last edited:

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
i used to share music and photos with fellow wp converts to make isheep jealous, now it just makes funny noises, so it has never been useful really, i've been thinking about buying a door lock that could unlock with a tap or something, but na, nothing yet

I just tested with my phone (640 on Insider 14393 build) and my wife's phone (640 on public release 10586 build) and it worked fine. Just have to make sure both phones have the NFC Tap to Share option enabled and Bluetooth turned on first. If Bluetooth is off, then all you get is the "funny noises". I opened a photo on my phone, put the two phones back to back and selected the Share option via Tap to Share. Once I accepted the incoming transfer on the second phone, the transfer only took a second or two to complete.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I don't use it, but there will be day, when i have opportunity to pay for my shopping! But if this comes to app based, this is disaster...yes, android and iOS supported, WP no, due to it's little market!!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I rarely use it for anything other than sending my wife a text every morning as I leave for work letting her know that the garage door is down. Ha ha
My wedding ring has an NFC chip in it that I programmed to send that particular text. I know. I'm lazy and a bit dorky, but I'm ok with that. :D

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I rarely use it for anything other than sending my wife a text every morning as I leave for work letting her know that the garage door is down. Ha ha
My wedding ring has an NFC chip in it that I programmed to send that particular text. I know. I'm lazy and a bit dorky, but I'm ok with that. :D
Aww that's so cute!

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I seriously share photos and contacts with my phones via NFC. Also can't wait to use tap to pay on my 950 XL when i can find somewhere that takes it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99