No Start screen, just App list. Any advice?

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
No Start screen, just App list

Just rolled back to core firmware using WDRT to try to get the DTTW feature back on my 950XL.

The phone only shows the full app list though, no Start screen. There is no way to get to the tiled view. Never had this before. Now whether this is me being stupid and having a memory fail but there is AFAIK no way to disable that view.

I've reset now and I'm at the same position again.

Any advice?

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: No Start screen, just App list

Try pinning something as a tile. If you have no tiles pinned, WP very well can't show you a Start screen, so it dumps you to the All Apps list.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Good shout, I'll try it when I get home. I did a further restart and used no backup and it came good, but I have no apps installed. I'll try later.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Genius, sir. That did the trick. In 4 years of Windows Phone and dozens of reboots I've never ever seen that. That it should remember everything else in my backup except the Start layout is weird. Cheers!

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

Genius, sir. That did the trick. In 4 years of Windows Phone and dozens of reboots I've never ever seen that. That it should remember everything else in my backup except the Start layout is weird. Cheers!
I know that because that is how I started my Mom off on WP, with no Start screen, just the apps list. She found it less intimidating, and eventually learned to pin things and arrange them and had fun with that.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The NU backup on WM10 (latest Insider build) does NOT remember / backup Start Screen layout.
THAT was the problem. (read the fine print)
... which is where Chintan ^^ was going.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Under backup options is theme selected?
Also are you restoring a backup from one of the redstone builds? The whole backup system changed and this is a known issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel