Just absolutely stumped

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Not a newb user here, so bear with me. My wifes 950 was recently swapped. What she is seeing is with her yahoo mail account, messages are marked as read if they are read on the webmail page. Meaning its pushed as read, or if its pushed as unread, then read on the web, next update to the phone it marks it as read. That didnt used to be the case, was only marked read if read on that device. I have searched as much as I can, via settings and yahoo settings on the web. How can I make it stop marking items on the phone. Feeling really dumb, but I gave up yahoo a long time ago lol.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Not a newb user here, so bear with me. My wifes 950 was recently swapped. What she is seeing is with her yahoo mail account, messages are marked as read if they are read on the webmail page. Meaning its pushed as read, or if its pushed as unread, then read on the web, next update to the phone it marks it as read. That didnt used to be the case, was only marked read if read on that device. I have searched as much as I can, via settings and yahoo settings on the web. How can I make it stop marking items on the phone. Feeling really dumb, but I gave up yahoo a long time ago lol.

That should be the normality. If you read something elsewhere, your phone (or any other pc of yours) shows it as red. Never seen different on any account still early '90.

I use yahoo, Gmail and hotmail accounts

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Check how the email account is set up (settings within the account on phone).
IMAP is a 2-way sync, which might be the reason of the behavior you are explaining here.
If you want to have only a 1-way sync (a copy of mails is downloaded on to the device, leaving original mails on the server), you have to set it up as a POP/POP3 account. Search for the POP3 settings for Yahoo, you would find it.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Check how the email account is set up (settings within the account on phone).
IMAP is a 2-way sync, which might be the reason of the behavior you are explaining here.
If you want to have only a 1-way sync (a copy of mails is downloaded on to the device, leaving original mails on the server), you have to set it up as a POP/POP3 account. Search for the POP3 settings for Yahoo, you would find it.

something new I've learned, thank you for that :smile:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Really. If it were behaving the way you desire, there would be a lot more people complaining "I already read it somewhere else, why does my phone say it's unread!"

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
POP is widely regarded as being old and outdated.

If you've read the email in one location, it stands to reason that you've read that email regardless of where you next see it.

If an email is important enough to need some kind of action, then use the little flag icon - it's what it's there for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss