How long will 650 get support from microsoft?

agriz

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
In terms of support, Will microsoft provide windows 10 updates to 650?

* After surface phone, Will developers work on lumia or surface?

* Will Microsoft provide only support or update to windows 10? (If update, why should MS develop two different windows 10? It is not possible i guess.)

* Or is it like use and throw phone after surface phone...?

* If i buy Lumia, Will MS provide any good exchange offer for surface phone for my lumia phone?

Or should i wait for surface phone?

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I guess MS provides continuous support for w10 mobile for 3 years incl. security fixes and features updates. 650, 640 are from MS so they will get the updates for sure.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

* Will Microsoft provide only support or update to windows 10? (If update, why should MS develop two different windows 10? It is not possible i guess.)

* If i buy Lumia, Will MS provide any good exchange offer for surface phone for my lumia phone?

A) Developers only need to work on a single app for it to work on all Windows 10 devices (Xbox, PC, and mobile)

B) Well, yeah. Windows 10 is the same, no matter what device it's running on

C) If you want to use it then throw it away while waiting for the Surface Phone, go for it, then use the Lumia 650 as a back up (or having it on the Insider program's fast ring to test new features)

D) That, however, I can't answer because I haven't heard of anything, but either way, you can always get more from websites like eBay

If you want to get a Lumia 650 to finally try out Windows 10 Mobile, go for it and welcome to the Windows Central community.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Surface phone is far away, and it will be very expensive (top flagship)
550, 650, 950 will get years of firmware support. which is important such as o.s. updates.
Windows 10 o.s. is the same for every device.

I own a 650, I'm fully satisfied

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to answer these questions in my style, although Zulfigar pretty much got it the first time.

1. Any phone from Microsoft will run Windows 10 Mobile, so excluding apps that require hardware that the 650 may not have, apps will run regardless.

Surface is a bit different and doesn't really factor in here. Either way, I wouldn't worry.

2. I don't quite understand this one, but for now we're looking at updates.

3. That's up to you.

4. Unlikely. I do not expect any kind of exchange or trade-in program. Could always sell your 650 elsewhere.

If you want to wait, that's your call. I never get new phones so it doesn't matter to me, but if you want to wait a year before getting a phone, that's your decision.

agriz

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I am confused.
I heard surface phone will be using different hardware.
Lumia's hardware is different and it needs different windows 10. So MS will not develop windows 10 for Lumia based phones.

One OS and all the devices will get update. That is why MS is bringing surface phone.
Is it right?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I heard surface phone will be using different hardware.
We don't know yet. No one who is talking about it has seen the thing. Early rumors that it would be x86 chip seem to have been squashed and it looks like the first gen Surface Phone (or whatever they call it) will be ARM so don't worry there will suddenly be a new version of Windows next spring that your SoC won't handle.

Lumia's hardware is different and it needs different windows 10. So MS will not develop windows 10 for Lumia based phones.
See the above. I don't think there is any basis for this worry.

One OS and all the devices will get update. That is why MS is bringing surface phone.
Is it right?
Microsoft does want all devices in lockstep with version no matter the form factor from the largest screen to the smallest, from Xbox to IoT devices to PC, tablet, phone and more...

Why they are bringing "Surface Phone" is to have a reference device to help drive 3rd party OEMs to innovate, just as Surface Tablet has done for the 2-in-1 market.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
for major updates I suspect it might not be cleared to receive RS2 and/or 3 officially due to the weak cpu, people report the 640 is slightly faster somehow, so take a guess

agriz

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I think that is why Microsoft achieved very less sale for this model. They must produce their own hardware or they should price it reasonably.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
One thing is for sure, intel mobile chips are out, since they pulled the plug. Moreover a possibility could be a intel m3/m5 designed acc. to MS needs and requirements OR custom made Qualcomm/ARM/Samsung chips closely engineered by MS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs