OnScreen vs Physical buttons?

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Got my hands on the 950 yesterday. I've never had a handset with the onscreen buttons before and I did quite miss the capacitive buttons of my 830 initially but I quickly got used to the former ones. And then it hit me. I had to alter some OneDrive settings and suddenly realized there were no buttons on the bottom anymore. They just disappeared. Locking and unlocking the phone didn't help so I had to open the action center and luckily there was an active notification there so I just tapped it and solved the problem.

It's a feature, not a bug. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to hide/show the nav buttons.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
On my 950XL I would love it if the back/starts/search buttons would have been integrated as capacitive buttons in the remaining half-inch lower bezel so I could always use the gorgeous display for content only.

That said, I don't miss accidentally hitting the capacitive buttons of the 1520, and I don't miss being blinded by the button backlight at night.

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
It's a feature, not a bug. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to hide/show the nav buttons.

I did try that though. No matter what I did they wouldn't reappear. It was so odd! Now if I think about it - the phone came with utterly obsolete firmware and the OS was outdated too. Perhaps that was the actual culprit?

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Had a 930, now have a 950. I must say I prefer the proper keys on the 930 over the soft keys on the 950, but it's not a major issue for me either way.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I can live with onscreen buttons... but if I could have physical buttons on my Lumia 950XL, I would.

What I'd ACTUALLY like though is to have a button layout akin to what we had on the Samsung Focus Flash. One tactile physical button for taking us to the start screen, then two capacitive buttons for back and search.

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a 640 and a OnePlus 3, I have many experiences with both and it comes down to implementation. On-screen keys have flexibility but that could also be attained by customizable capacitive buttons (check out the OP3 for further details on this).
I personally would go with the customizable capacitive keys but would definitely still survive with on-screen keys :)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
And if they could implement DTtS with the physical buttons (My vote is for double tap Windows key!!!) that would be awesome sauce.
Spoken like a true webOS fan.

I would prefer physical send/end keys. Nothing beats hanging up a call or ignoring a call like a quick strike to the red button on the right. As Dora would say "Swiper, no swiping".

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmm ... would I prefer a Prime Ribeye steak, or a Prime KC Strip steak ... you know I like both. I adapt easily either way. I really don't have a preference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck