W10M on Unsupported Phones is Done?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The store has a "device requirement" section now. This means that developers could technically start building apps which are only meant for RS supported device, but so far that hasn't been the case.

This could change tho.. so, if anything, that should be your main fear

I hope I wasn't being sarcastic, I wasn't trying to, hoping it wasn't me anyway.

I think a bigger issue might be if people had phones that didn't make it to .494, or maybe they didn't get upgraded from 8.x at all, even though they could run it fine. I guess there's always the registry hack, although a lot of people are even less comfortable with that, vs the Insider (app or integrated).

Hopefully developers will think about their settings here, carefully, and not just default to Redstone (and probably removing themselves from a huge segment of the current market)...

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
You know there really is no point in being sarcastic when someone is only trying to help you :/

In any case... If you're on TH builds and are worried about apps, well ..............................

The store has a "device requirement" section now. This means that developers could technically start building apps which are only meant for RS supported device, but so far that hasn't been the case.

This could change tho.. so, if anything, that should be your main fear

The new VLC app is already Redstone-only

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
it's not a good idea at all. but it's MS after all. I am not surprised

It's not quite like that. Someone isn't sitting around throwing darts, and deciding to make apps "Redstone required", or not.
Typically, MS isn't even involved in the equation, at all.

What does happen, is new features get introduced in new revisions, and developers have to decide, if they want to use them, either statically, or dynamically. Depending on how they decide to do linkage, they might have to require >= Redstone or their app wouldn't load. If they did it more dynamically, they might have to exclude certain functionality in <Redstone builds, which can become challenging, fast, if you're trying to have common interfaces and such.
Sometimes developers just decide that it's easier and less costly overall, to move forward at some point to a common version, and require a minimum build.

Hopefully this is the vast majority of apps being marked for >= Anniversary only. If you see an app you think isn't correctly set, you can always ask the developer, it could be an oversight, and maybe they'll adjust and rebuild the install package.

-pete

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
VLC for Windows 10 Mobile

It's not quite like that. Someone isn't sitting around throwing darts, and deciding to make apps "Redstone required", or not.
Typically, MS isn't even involved in the equation, at all.

What does happen, is new features get introduced in new revisions, and developers have to decide, if they want to use them, either statically, or dynamically. Depending on how they decide to do linkage, they might have to require >= Redstone or their app wouldn't load. If they did it more dynamically, they might have to exclude certain functionality in <Redstone builds, which can become challenging, fast, if you're trying to have common interfaces and such.
Sometimes developers just decide that it's easier and less costly overall, to move forward at some point to a common version, and require a minimum build.

Hopefully this is the vast majority of apps being marked for >= Anniversary only. If you see an app you think isn't correctly set, you can always ask the developer, it could be an oversight, and maybe they'll adjust and rebuild the install package.

-pete

Well, I know Microsoft does not sit around and brainstorm "Hey, how can we produce even more frustration in our user base"...

Last edited by a moderator:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I hope I wasn't being sarcastic, I wasn't trying to, hoping it wasn't me anyway.

I think a bigger issue might be if people had phones that didn't make it to .494, or maybe they didn't get upgraded from 8.x at all, even though they could run it fine. I guess there's always the registry hack, although a lot of people are even less comfortable with that, vs the Insider (app or integrated).

Hopefully developers will think about their settings here, carefully, and not just default to Redstone (and probably removing themselves from a huge segment of the current market)...

Wasn't aimed at you tho :p

A lot of people decided to stay on 8/8.1 because of the reported bugs of the earlier builds

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

It's also available for Windows 8.x mobile (phone) too, maybe not the latest/greatest, but that's just the deal...

Wasn't aimed at you tho :p

A lot of people decided to stay on 8/8.1 because of the reported bugs of the earlier builds

Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, that's unfortunate, I got all my friends/family with Win Phones to update to Release Preview, back around 02/16-ish. Many are really happy now, with the results (494). I have yet to hear from any single person who wants to go back, although they can, easily enough. My wife almost did, .456 was bad, on her HTC M8, but now she really likes 494.

I hope MS decides to re-host this, for older devices, I guess their worry is probably support, but their balance-win is that more people are current. I guess we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It's also available for Windows 8.x mobile (phone) too, maybe not the latest/greatest, but that's just the deal...

Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, that's unfortunate, I got all my friends/family with Win Phones to update to Release Preview, back around 02/16-ish. Many are really happy now, with the results (494). I have yet to hear from any single person who wants to go back, although they can, easily enough. My wife almost did, .456 was bad, on her HTC M8, but now she really likes 494.

I hope MS decides to re-host this, for older devices, I guess their worry is probably support, but their balance-win is that more people are current. I guess we'll see.

yep! but the app for WP8 is not the same app. The app for W10 is a UWP and I know the VLC team is awesome....but how long will they support several apps?
Sooner or later all the developers will use APls in the UWP-apps which are not present in Threshold

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss