Moving to WP10 from BB10; got questions...

Mellfee

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I've had a Blackberry since before the iphone even came out, and I really do like BB10, but incase the end is nigh I have decided to try other options and got myself a Lumia 950.

...now I need some help.

1. One of the best things about BB10 was the Hub. All my messages and calls were in one easy to look at place. I use calls, texts, two email accounts and whatsapp.

Is there anything that would display all of these, or do I need a start tile for each?

2. Is Outlook Mail the best app for adding my Mac mail and Yahoo mail accounts to? I never really worried about security with Blackberry, but I am hesitating to put my account info in to Outlook as I have never used it before.

3. I've recently started using a windows 10 computer and will hopefully make it my main computer over the next year but at the moment my personal computer is a Mac. Is it possible to easily connect my 950 to my mac for transferring music files etc? With my Blackberry it was simply drag and drop.

...thanks. (more questions to follow)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've had a Blackberry since before the iphone even came out, and I really do like BB10, but incase the end is nigh I have decided to try other options and got myself a Lumia 950.

...now I need some help.

1. One of the best things about BB10 was the Hub. All my messages and calls were in one easy to look at place. I use calls, texts, two email accounts and whatsapp.

Is there anything that would display all of these, or do I need a start tile for each?

2. Is Outlook Mail the best app for adding my Mac mail and Yahoo mail accounts to? I never really worried about security with Blackberry, but I am hesitating to put my account info in to Outlook as I have never used it before.

3. I've recently started using a windows 10 computer and will hopefully make it my main computer over the next year but at the moment my personal computer is a Mac. Is it possible to easily connect my 950 to my mac for transferring music files etc? With my Blackberry it was simply drag and drop.

1. Oh boy I miss the Blackberry Hub. There is no centralized list like that on Windows 10 Mobile, so you're gonna to have to use the Start Screen to the fullest. In fact, the only alternative I found to the BB10 Hub is the Blackberry Hub on Android!

2. Outlook Mail is the stock mail app and the best/default option. There is some privacy concerns with the iOS and Android Outlook apps routing email through one server but not here. For the most part its no different than using the built-in email app on iOS or etc.

3. I'm not sure if you can connect to a Mac. I would expect it to be an easy drag-and-drop but I might be out of date.
I highly recommend connecting the SD card directly to copy stuff actually though.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
lumias dont do mass storage by default so it might be easier to use the sd card directly, there's an app for syncing windows phones to mac in the apple store but im not sure it will work with a 950

Mellfee

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your help. On the third point, I would normally put my SD card in the mac but with the windows phone I would need to take the protective case off, then remove the battery as well. ...with my Z10 I didn't need a protective case and the SD card was hot-swappable so it was quick and painless.

I was a bit naive in my research and half expected there to be some software that enabled syncing. If I ever make the (personal computer) move from Mac to PC then it won't be an issue. I suppose my Mac doesn't like the formatting.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
you can use w10 on your mac with bootcamp very easily, without disturbing your mac environment, that might make your transition smoother

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Windows used to have a similar hub in the peoples app, not exactly but close. They removed it. But it may come back in the future. The premise is that you can integrate all your social apps within the people app. "What's new" would show you everything happening and then individual contacts would show you everything happening only for that contact. I figure they will re-add it since the section is still there in the peoples' app even though it does nothing.

Most computers will allow you to connect Via usb and drag and drop. I actually have discovered a better way recently using an app called share.it. It's on ipad/iphone as well not sure if it's in the mac store. But I load it up on pc which is connected via ethernet and phone on my wifi and it connects them and I can transfer files over the LAN really easily and quickly with a nice interface. This is nice for smaller files. Even 500 megs goes pretty quickly for me. Only thing I connect my phone directly for is if I transfer multiple large movie files. These are usually 6-12 gigs each. I may buy a usb-c expansion card for my pc. That would be super fast.

Mellfee

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I just found my obvious work-a-round. I have a USB A/C memory stick....(which I temporarily forgot about). Works in my mac then turns around and works with the 950. So that works fine for transferring music and video files.

Other than Microsoft Edge, which is pretty good, are there any other browser options? I wrongly assumed firefox would be available or duckduck go. And is there no private browsing option in Edge?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Mellfee
Ok, I just found my obvious work-a-round. I have a USB A/C memory stick....(which I temporarily forgot about). Works in my mac then turns around and works with the 950. So that works fine for transferring music and video files.

Other than Microsoft Edge, which is pretty good, are there any other browser options? I wrongly assumed firefox would be available or duckduck go. And is there no private browsing option in Edge?

there's opera mini and ucbrowser i think, private tabs are in tabs page and touching 3 dots menu

RohanRonQM

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
There are many cool features coming to W10M on Aug 2nd and more to come after. Be sure to check out the Windows Central website for the latest news on Windows 10 as the features for PC and Mobile are pretty much the same.
Originally posted by Mellfee

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Hey. First of all, welcome to the ecosystem :) Once you're in, you are stuck here ;)

I know this isn't quite the same as the Hub, but here we have something similar. When you open any contact in the People app, swipe right two times to get the menu Timeline, and your history from different apps with that contact will be shown there. See pic below.

wp_ss_20160801_0001.jpg

I hope this helps.

Take care

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had Blackberries all the way back also, back to their first color/track-wheel model, and loved the Hub. I have a BB Priv but my daily driver is a Lumia 950 XL running W10M and I don't miss the Hub because I've gotten used to and attached to the Live tiles. I actually run 5 different email accounts and a couple of calendars on live tiles on the desktop. My main work email is on a large tile, two other accounts are mid-size and two are the smallest size. So at a glance I get a lot of info about my current work email (# of emails, sender, and subject) and a good but lesser amount of info from my primary personal acct (# of emails, sender) and just the # of unread emails on the my tertiary accounts. I also set up my work calendar in a large tile which shows info on next appt, and my personal calendar on a separate calendar app tile, which I have lower down on the home-screen, so that I have to scroll down to see it. I can also see new tweets, BBM's, txts, plus news alerts, weather, new apps available in the store. . . . . all at a glance, my usual glance at my phone, without having to do anything.

Now, when I am on my Priv and accessing the Hub, I find it confusing while also providing less info at a glance. YVMV

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

...now I need some help.

1. no idea what BB10 hub is, any different to notifications?
If each app requires a live tile, would it help if similar apps were put in a live tile folder?

2. Is any account safe? I use i hope a safe Outlook account, and it also depends on the account you use, ATM i think Windows Hello with a fingerprint reader is safe, no typing, will take awhile for Hackers to figure out, AND less typing passwords less chance of fraud.

3. any pc will do, just connect any windows phone to any OS, drag any files to or from, easy peasy.
You mentioned files disappearing from sd drive, a thumb drive, flash drive, its a USB Micro SSD and can be formatted in different formats.
Mac only has 1 option and that is slow and bad for a windows user to use.
If on a PC go with the 90%, Windows may be a pain at times, but 90% will try to help you. ON a MAC go else where

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I do miss the blackberry hub and my old passport. Too bad they couldn't get bb10 to take off. Pulled a ms and released it way before it was ready and payed the price. But welcome to windows 10 mobile. Once you get used to the live tiles there is alot of info at just a glance like others have said.

Mellfee

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I can also see new tweets, BBM's, txts, plus news alerts, weather, new apps available in the store. . . . . all at a glance, my usual glance at my phone, without having to do anything.

Yeah I can see now how the Start screen can be everything I need to see. I started to move things around last night but I hadn't thought that my email accounts could be separate tiles.

Is there a way to have the wifi menu and network menu set as tiles..? I couldn't see a menu for it anywhere.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to have the wifi menu and network menu set as tiles..? I couldn't see a menu for it anywhere.
I don't think they will be active tiles, but if you go to Settings and find where those are, you can hold the option and you'll see a Pin to Start option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05