What phone should I replace my 1520 with?

anon(9322352)

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello other MSFT fans.

I received my Lumia 1520 10th May 2014 and I was loving it extremely until this past month... My friend borrowed me a S7 Edge so that I could use Snapchat and I was in love with the phone! The quality, looks, feels but not the OS.

My Lumia 1520 has been acting weird lately :/ The battery can die in 5 minutes of usage when fully charged, literally. I don't know whether I should replace my battery or just move on? As a Programmer or Software Developer, I feel like the specs don't satisfy my needs. Also, compared to other phones out in the market, I feel like my yellow 1520 is cheap (I'm not a materialist, I swear). I just want a futuristic looking, fast phone with Windows 10 Mobile. It might sound like I've said alot but basically I think it's time for me to upgrade and need your help and insight. I heard that a "Surface Phone" with beast specs will arrive next year or something. Should I wait for it? Is it worth it?

I don't wanna leave WP cause I'm a really really really big Microsoft fan and I want all my devices to be in the same family.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
if you want something with a 6" screen you dont have many options. There are a couple of Sony, but they are not WM10. So HP Elite X3 is the only option.

anon(9322352)

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I only use devices with screens like 5.5" to 6". Why Elite X3? Is it really good for a developer? I saw the dock and laptop for it as well. What about "Surface Phone" ? I heard it might run Win32 applications, that's something I truly want! Also what about Snapchat? It's not necessary but I also wanna chat with my friends, since all of 'em use Snapchat.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello other MSFT fans.

I received my Lumia 1520 10th May 2014 and I was loving it extremely until this past month... My friend borrowed me a S7 Edge so that I could use Snapchat and I was in love with the phone! The quality, looks, feels but not the OS.

My Lumia 1520 has been acting weird lately :/ The battery can die in 5 minutes of usage when fully charged, literally. I don't know whether I should replace my battery or just move on? As a Programmer or Software Developer, I feel like the specs don't satisfy my needs. Also, compared to other phones out in the market, I feel like my yellow 1520 is cheap (I'm not a materialist, I swear). I just want a futuristic looking, fast phone with Windows 10 Mobile. It might sound like I've said alot but basically I think it's time for me to upgrade and need your help and insight. I heard that a "Surface Phone" with beast specs will arrive next year or something. Should I wait for it? Is it worth it?

I don't wanna leave WP cause I'm a really really really big Microsoft fan and I want all my devices to be in the same family.

I can't believe it. It's almost like I've posted this. I also have a 1520 that I've got around 2 years ago (also got it around May-June), I love it too much, it's the best phone for me currently. The battery is also known to just die in a few minutes, and I'm studying soft dev. It's like this phone attracts only a special group of people. :grin:

I've also asked myself that question many times, and every time I concluded that the only thing that could replace the 1520 is something that is to the 1520 like the 1520 was to other phones when it launched. Remember codename 'Bandit' ? Yeah.. still sounds awesome. So yeah... I'm waiting for the Surface Phone. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a glorified L950 with gimmick features and the same 20 Mpx camera they've been using for the last few years.

You've also mentioned the S7 Edge. I didn't have a chance to play with it IRL, but the launch of the new Note 7 really did mess my head. It's just what you have asked for, it looks like it came from the future. The dual edge screen makes it look like it has absolutely no bezel (and previous Galaxy phones just didn't do it right), and the phone is just too good looking. Once I've seen the reviews and reminded myself of how sh**ty looking Android is, and especially Samsung's TouchWiz skin, I almost puked. Such a waste.

So.. all in all, for me there currently isn't a phone that could replace my 1520. I'm waiting for the Surface Phone, and that's what I'd also recommend to you. I just don't feel like I've gotten the max out of it, and I don't feel comfortable changing phones (and dumping $500 or sometimes even more) every year or so.

----

By the way, since you've mentioned the battery problem, I have to investigate a bit further. When did it start happening to you? And do you really think it's just a faulty battery, or could it maybe be something else. It's really weird because I've seen a lot of posts on the forums that say all the same. All of a sudden, 1520s started having problems with batteries. It could be that Nokia just made them so that they last 2-3 years and then they break (which is not an unknown tactic), but I also feel like Win10M could have something to do with it, it's just around that time that I've started having problems (though, I did revert back to 8.1 a few weeks back, just to test if it's the OS that's causing problems, and I got the same results - battery just dies in a few hours).

Joel Gaviola

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I changed the battery for my 1520, except for the camera photos not looking up to par, it functions really well

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anon(9322352)

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I can't believe it. It's almost like I've posted this. I also have a 1520 that I've got around 2 years ago (also got it around May-June), I love it too much, it's the best phone for me currently. The battery is also known to just die in a few minutes, and I'm studying soft dev. It's like this phone attracts only a special group of people. :grin:

I've also asked myself that question many times, and every time I concluded that the only thing that could replace the 1520 is something that is to the 1520 like the 1520 was to other phones when it launched. Remember codename 'Bandit' ? Yeah.. still sounds awesome. So yeah... I'm waiting for the Surface Phone. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a glorified L950 with gimmick features and the same 20 Mpx camera they've been using for the last few years.

You've also mentioned the S7 Edge. I didn't have a chance to play with it IRL, but the launch of the new Note 7 really did mess my head. It's just what you have asked for, it looks like it came from the future. The dual edge screen makes it look like it has absolutely no bezel (and previous Galaxy phones just didn't do it right), and the phone is just too good looking. Once I've seen the reviews and reminded myself of how sh**ty looking Android is, and especially Samsung's TouchWiz skin, I almost puked. Such a waste.

So.. all in all, for me there currently isn't a phone that could replace my 1520. I'm waiting for the Surface Phone, and that's what I'd also recommend to you. I just don't feel like I've gotten the max out of it, and I don't feel comfortable changing phones (and dumping $500 or sometimes even more) every year or so.

----

By the way, since you've mentioned the battery problem, I have to investigate a bit further. When did it start happening to you? And do you really think it's just a faulty battery, or could it maybe be something else. It's really weird because I've seen a lot of posts on the forums that say all the same. All of a sudden, 1520s started having problems with batteries. It could be that Nokia just made them so that they last 2-3 years and then they break (which is not an unknown tactic), but I also feel like Win10M could have something to do with it, it's just around that time that I've started having problems (though, I did revert back to 8.1 a few weeks back, just to test if it's the OS that's causing problems, and I got the same results - battery just dies in a few hours).

Ma Rio thanks for your answer!

Wow, I guess we are using these phones for the exact same reason!

Well, how long do you think it will be until MSFT release a "Surface Phone" (If they will do it) ?
I could wait but... I really want to upgrade as soon as possible.

My battery started to malfunction when I first tried Windows 10 Mobile Beta back in 2015. It wasn't so bad, until now.
So I'm guessing that the software had some sort of a erroneous kernel or something... Really love this phone, It's truly insane and awesome, or atleast it was...

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Something weird is going on with those batteries. Anyways... I don't know really when the Surface Phone (or Panos Phone) will be launched, if ever, though I'm really relying on it. If you really want to upgrade, then I don't know what to suggest (the 950 XL maybe, though for me that wouldn't be a real upgrade). But I bet a cool new phone is going to launch sometime soon, and I personally can wait until it happens, I've got nowhere to rush.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello Bachir, my 1520 also started having battery issues, it would last half a day and then suddenly the battery would die and I was also having microphone issues, after two years I thought it was time for a change and was planning to go for the HP, but then MS cut the price of the 950XL and I jumped in.

I have to say with no regrets, the screen is just a tad smaller, but it makes the phone ever so slightly more practical, the screen is superb, the camera top notch, I love Continuum, and it really is a great phone/pocket PC.

Yes it will be outgunned by the HP in some ways (But not the camera I hear) and a Surface phone could easily be a year away.

I put my 1520 in my "Drawer of honour" next to my old HTC HD2 and I haven't looked back. Plus at ?399 with free dock it is nearly half price of the HP.

koolassme

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I love my Nokia 1520 did not get it new but used im a big fan of Windows Phones and did not experience any battery �� issues yet

Like everyone else I don't like any other but Windows Phones and don't know Wht other Windows Phone to get since the 1520 there is no other phone wth a 6" display i love the 6"display it looks so massive I guess I will try the hp elite x3 or a Surface Phone those are the only one wth a big screen

We'll why they (Microsoft) jus don't redesign the 1520 tht would be really Kool and Wht makes it so bad is all the 1520's thts out there is all tht there is they stop selling them Wht a bummer

I've got a 1520 wth Windows 10mobile on it can anybody tell me why my hey Cortana does not work I go to activate it and all it says is turn Cortana on but it is on can somebody help me wth ths issue &the glance screen comes on sometimes then it doesn't im ready to take it to Microsoft and get 8.1 back on it at least hey Cortana worked wth it if I remember correctly

Last edited by a moderator:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just started using the 1520. I bought it off a local exchange site. Didn't have the money the "new" "original" "box pack" device was costing. I somehow trusted this guy and met him, and I was blown away at how meticulously he had kept the device. It was just a month old and the guy didn't take too well about Windows platform (don't blame him...lol). So I bought it. Sliced the price in exactly half, and believe me it IS GORGEOUS.

I saw the Note as a friend has S7 Edge (not Note Edge) and I was like "meh... looks fine." But then all devices look good in photos don't they? And then I remembered TouchWiz and yes, almost puked too.

I had a Z Ultra before this and trust me, after using 1520 for almost 3-4 months, I don't even want to touch my ZULTRA.

Just my two bits..

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 is barely two month old... Runs well on W10, The camera is more than capable..... Unless the price of 950/950XL drops dramatically her, I'm not budging....

Sent from mTalk

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If only mine wasn't faulty I could easily use it for like 3 more years. Above that would be a stretch, but also possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes