Groove Music And Meta Data

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I am considering switching back to Windows Phone, and I pulled out my old windows phone and updated it to 10. Groove Music looks pretty sharp but my music collection is a total disaster. Missing artwork everywhere. Sometimes the album is split into 2 of the same album because the tracks don't match up. Is there a way to fix any of this? What about that new version on fast track that people are talking about? :(

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am considering switching back to Windows Phone, and I pulled out my old windows phone and updated it to 10. Groove Music looks pretty sharp but my music collection is a total disaster. Missing artwork everywhere. Sometimes the album is split into 2 of the same album because the tracks don't match up. Is there a way to fix any of this? What about that new version on fast track that people are talking about? :(

you can join insider and upgrade to the latest OS version and then get the latest Groove app

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
you can join insider and upgrade to the latest OS version and then get the latest Groove app

I downloaded insider and put my 830 on the fast update option and the phone updated last night. The Groove app still seems the same. I'm trying to figure out how to get that version of the app on my phone so I can fix my music collection

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I went in and had to manually search for updates and there it was. I updated and the meta data update feature is in the app! So far, so good. I was able to put in missing artwork and even get rid of duplicates! Excellent work from the Microsoft team here. Even itunes on the phone can't do this stuff.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I went in and had to manually search for updates and there it was. I updated and the meta data update feature is in the app! So far, so good. I was able to put in missing artwork and even get rid of duplicates! Excellent work from the Microsoft team here. Even itunes on the phone can't do this stuff.

I was going to get the link for the article about that update but you already got the update - have fun :)

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I hated Groove so much when Windows 10 first came out, So much so that I went and got an iPhone. I've grown a bit bored of the iPhone and annoyed by it's terrible antenna and battery life, that I'm going to get a Lumia 950. Groove has grown into one of the best looking music players ever. The only thing I hope they add is the ability to change the artist photos.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Apologies for the hijack, but is there any way to edit the metadata of an entire album at once?? I can only edit one song at a time. Did I miss something??
Thanks.

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes when you are browsing albums in the album view, you can hold down on the album and click edit info, and there's some things you can edit as a whole for the album , such as the year, genre, album cover, etc.

I also figured out that when there's a duplicate album where let's say 12 tracks are in one place, and then another track is in a separate album, you just click the album, edit info, and then save. You don't even usually have to change anything to merge the album.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Although I love the fact that Groove added this feature to their music player, I must say that I won't be using it as much as I use Mp3tag for my music metadata-editing needs. It's simply faster and easier for me to use the said software on my PC, and afterwards transfer my edited musics into my phone.

But of course, I make mistakes now and then, and I could see the use case for this feature on my phone, such as correcting misspelled album or song title, year, genre, etc.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Although I love the fact that Groove added this feature to their music player, I must say that I won't be using it as much as I use Mp3tag for my music metadata-editing needs. It's simply faster and easier for me to use the said software on my PC, and afterwards transfer my edited musics into my phone.

But of course, I make mistakes now and then, and I could see the use case for this feature on my phone, such as correcting misspelled album or song title, year, genre, etc.

your user case can work if the songs were originally on the pc or downloaded on the pc. Some download songs directly to their phone - it would be lengthy to transfer to pc to edit and then copy back to phone :smile:

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
your user case can work if the songs were originally on the pc or downloaded on the pc. Some download songs directly to their phone - it would be lengthy to transfer to pc to edit and then copy back to phone :smile:

I agree. But well, I assume that by "Some download songs directly to their phone", you're talking about downloading from Groove? If so, I can't do that as Groove Music is not available in my country. Not yet, at least (hoping it would come!). That's why I had to download these songs via PC, since there are all sorts of mp3 download sites that I can easily access via PC (not for phone).

But what's important is that Groove implemented this feature, and though I may not use it that much, I'd rather have it and not need it, than not having it when I need it. Also, it's better than having to download an extra app just for music meta data editing.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree. But well, I assume that by "Some download songs directly to their phone", you're talking about downloading from Groove? If so, I can't do that as Groove Music is not available in my country. Not yet, at least (hoping it would come!). That's why I had to download these songs via PC, since there are all sorts of mp3 download sites that I can easily access via PC (not for phone).

But what's important is that Groove implemented this feature, and though I may not use it that much, I'd rather have it and not need it, than not having it when I need it. Also, it's better than having to download an extra app just for music meta data editing.

even outside groove. All those sorts of mp3 download sites can also work on phone :winktongue:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I download everything on my PC.. phone just seems sloppy for that job, especially since the file manager is nearly useless. But on the PC, you can do almost anything. I set everything straight from the file manager (it can edit almost all metadata), then transfer it to my phone, and it's a done deal.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
even outside groove. All those sorts of mp3 download sites can also work on phone :winktongue:

Ah, I see. Yeah, I just did that through Youtunes (an app), but downloading through websites means using Edge on W10M to download, is not really my cup of tea. The download of speed is kinda slow compared to when I download it via PC. Not sure if that's the case for everybody, but it is for me.

Not to mention that most of these websites (non-legal ones, of course) has multiple pop-up ads that really hangs/crashes Edge more often than not. With extension support on desktop, this is never a problem for me (AdBlock ftw).

But, yeah. To each their own. Hahaha :D

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Ah, I see. Yeah, I just did that through Youtunes (an app), but downloading through websites means using Edge on W10M to download, is not really my cup of tea. The download of speed is kinda slow compared to when I download it via PC. Not sure if that's the case for everybody, but it is for me.

Not to mention that most of these websites (non-legal ones, of course) has multiple pop-up ads that really hangs/crashes Edge more often than not. With extension support on desktop, this is never a problem for me (AdBlock ftw).

But, yeah. To each their own. Hahaha :D

I used to use UC browser in speed mode - that somehow blocked most ads and pop ups - and speed was good too

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I used to use UC browser in speed mode - that somehow blocked most ads and pop ups - and speed was good too

Hahaha, yeah I used that too last time, back during my WP8 days with my Lumia 620. However, I found that the more I used UC, its performance will worsen over time. Luckily Edge came along, and I found myself satisfied with it. So, yeah.

Btw, we're way off topic for this thread. Sorry OP xD

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hahaha, yeah I used that too last time, back during my WP8 days with my Lumia 620. However, I found that the more I used UC, its performance will worsen over time. Luckily Edge came along, and I found myself satisfied with it. So, yeah.

Btw, we're way off topic for this thread. Sorry OP xD

going back to metadata - how good is it when recognising different languages? There are special characters and sometimes a different language is used for names and such

Ratindra Sharma

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I am still not able to get the Music files from Onedrive. I have one folder with the name "Music" and don't know why Groove can not pick up the files. Is there anything that I am missing on?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers