Lockscreen password?

Powerman777

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Any idea when we're going to get this most basic of features? Seriously stupid that this has been missing for so long.

And no, I don't want to set up and use a PIN, I don't want to use hello and I don't want to scan my iris or anything else. I want a lock screen password.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone really knows. I wish I had something for you, but I guess we'll have to file that away next to picture passwords for the next who-knows.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but a lock screen pin isn't the same as a lock screen password? What's different?

I have an iPhone too, and putting in the pin is the same deal there. Either that or touch id, just like how it is a pin or Windows Hello. I have used various Androids and always used the pin option.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but a lock screen pin isn't the same as a lock screen password? What's different?

I have an iPhone too, and putting in the pin is the same deal there. Either that or touch id, just like how it is a pin or Windows Hello. I have used various Androids and always used the pin option.

A lock screen password is a code that simply lets you past that screen. The PIN option is linked to your ms account, which I don't want.

Uhh, a lockscreen password is using an alphanumeric password to sign in. a PIN is a short numerical code and is typically faster albeit technically less secure. I thought that was OP's question actually.

Powerman777

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
My 710 and 830 had a password for the lock screen that was created under the settings for the lock screen. I do not have that option on my 950.

The only option I have is the pin option located in settings>accounts>signinoptions. I do not want to use this, so my phone is 100% wide open 100% of the time. Not the best, to be sure.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My 710 and 830 had a password for the lock screen that was created under the settings for the lock screen. I do not have that option on my 950.

The only option I have is the pin option located in settings>accounts>signinoptions. I do not want to use this, so my phone is 100% wide open 100% of the time. Not the best, to be sure.

They're the same. It's just moved to where it was on a PC. It's still tied to the phone, MS just uses it in place of your MS account password in some places on the phone. (I don't remember what contexts though)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They are not the same. A locksreen password (LSP) does not require my ms account password. The PIN does.

It asks for your account password as an extra layer of security so its not just any random person adding a PIN/password/passcode/whatever. It's literally still the same feature you're asking for.

Powerman777

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
1) password/code. Something local to my phone that prevents unwanted isers from getting past my lock screen.

2) PIN. Part of a 2-step verification system for signing into one's ms account. Verified online by ms.

I want 1) not 2). My only option is 2).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1) password/code. Something local to my phone that prevents unwanted isers from getting past my lock screen.

2) PIN. Part of a 2-step verification system for signing into one's ms account. Verified online by ms.

I want 1) not 2). My only option is 2).

Alright, but I want to clear up that passwords and PIN's as far as anyone is concerned are the same thing.
EXCEPT PINs are restricted to numbers only. That was the original confusion.

I just redid the PIN setup procedure on my 640 to make sure I understand it.

The PIN on your Windows 10 Phone replaces the MS account password in some areas ON your phone.
(So probably the Store and such. This PIN can NOT be used for other devices. The PIN on my Windows 10 Mobile phone and PIN on my (was) Windows 10 PC are different.)
It isn't really "verified" or anything, its Microsoft making sure the password checks out and if you have a school or work Exchange account like I do, it may require additional verification and stuff to make sure your PIN complies with rules.

It is NOT part of a two-step verification thing. That's a completely separate system used for signing onto new devices.

The reddit thread below has some useful information on how PINs in Windows 10 behave. (I mean mainly the top two comments)

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience...ws_10_says_pins_are_safer_than_passwords_how/

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I get what the OP is saying. Essentially there would be two PINs for the phone. One to ONLY unlock the lock screen and gain access to the phone. The second PIN would be the one tied to the MS account for store verification or other functions. Currently there is only one PIN that serves both functions, and in the opinion of the OP is less secure than they would want it to be. Someone such as a child, spouse or just a lucky guess by a stranger who gains access to the PIN could do almost anything with the phone, including making unauthorized purchases in the store. About the only thing you can't do is a hard reset if reset protection is turned on (and it should be), as that requires the actual MS account password and not the PIN.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
How is the pin linked to your MS account? When I did a factory reset and didn't login to my MS account I still was able to set a lock screen pin. So if it's linked to the account how is this possible?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I get what the OP is saying. Essentially there would be two PINs for the phone. One to ONLY unlock the lock screen and gain access to the phone. The second PIN would be the one tied to the MS account for store verification or other functions. Currently there is only one PIN that serves both functions, and in the opinion of the OP is less secure than they would want it to be. Someone such as a child, spouse or just a lucky guess by a stranger who gains access to the PIN could do almost anything with the phone, including making unauthorized purchases in the store. About the only thing you can't do is a hard reset if reset protection is turned on (and it should be), as that requires the actual MS account password and not the PIN.

Ahh ok I see what you're saying.

That's why the IRIS scan is great. And if OP doesn't like it, that's fine, but this is the future. Iris and possibly if MS is able to make Realsense tech compact enough for the phone, that would be the ultimate layer of security. Read a nice article about how super secure real sense for windows hello is. Anyways, if you really want security and you have the Iris scanner that should be what you use. You can set your store to authenticate via iris and use a pin for lock screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss