Should Microsoft Tighten the Reigns on the Insider Program Until it has a More Positive Base?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
With the constant complaints about the mobile platform, how much of the issue do you attribute to beta being too accessible to the general public, thus spreading a bad POV when its early beta and not public?

Yes
No

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really doubt if the Insider program has much of an effect on the general perception of Windows 10 Mobile, since typical smartphone users don't visit sites such as this one and probably are unaware that the Insider program even exists. The Insider program and other similar things such as the beta program for iOS are something that hard core geeks tend to be involved in, and any of us of these forums would fit that category. The Average Joe and Average Jane typically don't bother with such things and only update to official OS releases OTA if and when those show up from their carriers and their phones tell them they have updates.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I agree, however, with as little a market share as we have right now, are we best served having the only advertising be complaints about an OS running on phones it shouldnt etc. All we have is word of mouth right now.... iOS and Droid can fully get away with it because they are mainstream. We are building, literally in OS and soon in marketshare(hopefully). If the public already has heard of it, but its all negative, how is that helping us when "insiders" dont truly know their purpose and just want to have the latest and greatest and not understand what Insider is.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
IMHO, reading forums enforced my idea problem in most cases is between chair and desk. Extended to phones.
I hoped people using desktops were used to basics...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think that a lot of Insiders had no interest in helping by beta testing and submitting feedback to Microsoft. I used the beta builds because I was desperate for functionality that was missing in stock builds but added in beta. I submitted no feedback at all, positive or negative or suggestions. I only wanted the features.

The problem is that bugs abounded in beta, and subsequent updates squashed current bugs but brought new ones. Insiders only there for the latest builds were frustrated by the bugs, ignoring the fact that they had been warned. This brought a lot of negative feedback.

OTOH, those also using beta builds on iOS and Android were probably shocked at the difference in WP's beta experience. I often use betas on all 3 platforms, and on iOS and Android the betas are usually very stable. It is easy to forget you are on beta. I'd only think about it when the beta build was the next version (Android 6.xxx beta while Android 5.xxx was the current stock version) and I'd try to use an app that didn't yet work on the next version.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I used the beta builds because I was desperate for functionality that was missing in stock builds but added in beta. I submitted no feedback at all, positive or negative or suggestions. I only wanted the features.

This right here, is my excuse.

I don't feel comfortable using software that is actually considered beta for anything because I need things to just work the way that they should. Always. I caved because of exactly what you said. I have never submitted any feedback.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Restricting access won't make the underlying software magically better.

I also think they have bigger PR issues than Insiders complaining.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This right here, is my excuse.

I don't feel comfortable using software that is actually considered beta for anything because I need things to just work the way that they should. Always. I caved because of exactly what you said. I have never submitted any feedback.

I tend to use betas more in desktop software more than mobile. If a mobile device is my daily driver, I will absolutely NOT use beta builds! I only run it on backup/secondary devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss