Hunting down heaving battery usage apps

anon(6098928)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I have hard reset/reflashed my Lumia 950 phone. Its now running the official released Anniversary Update build.

Battery life is still pretty bad, and I hardly get a day out of it. Really not sure whats killing the battery. That said, having looked at the battery usage section, I noticed:

'Start' is taking up 15%

Is this to be expected?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by guinnsquirrel
I have hard reset/reflashed my Lumia 950 phone. Its now running the official released Anniversary Update build.

Battery life is still pretty bad, and I hardly get a day out of it. Really not sure whats killing the battery. That said, having looked at the battery usage section, I noticed:

'Start' is taking up 15%

Is this to be expected?

nope, get the latest .82 cumulative maybe it helps, if not, hard reset

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Same deal in .82 build, Start and "Lock Screen" eat up 80-90% of my battery, every night, even after yet another hard-reset, at least I hard-reset on .67 anyway.

Not sure what's up with my phone, but it's getting old, really, really old.

I'm going to change my microSD tomorrow, back to my old Sandisk Extreme (UH1), from my newer Samsung Pro+ (UH3). Trying to track down every last thing that changed around AU update time, short of rolling back my firmware.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
same problem here, the "start" takes massive battery life after Anniversary Update. I did 2 days with full battery, now only 1 day

Yeah, it's bizarre to, it says it's got 0% background processing, yet I never turn the phone on, when I measure it overnight, but it shows something like 90%+ foreground.
I'm lucky to get 1 day now, after AU, whereas I was getting about 2 days on 494 (really from 318 on), give or take a little. Whatever it is, basically "halves" the battery life, and there's no simple way to track it down.
I've submitted a couple of issues, but heard nothing back for awhile now.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
2 days?! I am so jealous. I guess I can't have that because of edge.

Turn off Edge "background processing", and it this drain will get really small, almost zero, IME.
That is, unless you're browsing foreground a lot, in which case, well, you're just using the battery, not much else to say...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Turn off Edge "background processing", and it this drain will get really small, almost zero, IME.
That is, unless you're browsing foreground a lot, in which case, well, you're just using the battery, not much else to say...

Great tip, thanks! I have to use edge to read my eBook though. I'll have to see how this affects reading.

Wait, where is that setting? I am not seeing that in settings.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Settings>Privacy>Background apps

Yep, or just type "back" into the first Settings screen, in the search box, and it's the first one in the list.

This shouldn't affect your reading an e-book, at all, but there's probably an app that's a lot more efficient, for doing this, such as Amazon Kindle, or similar...
Reading it in a browser will likely cause periodic refreshes and such. A reader-app will try to minimize this, for power, by pre-loading a few pages on either side of your current "bookmark", and only load new sets of pages when you flip past a certain threshold.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yep, or just type "back" into the first Settings screen, in the search box, and it's the first one in the list.

This shouldn't affect your reading an e-book, at all, but there's probably an app that's a lot more efficient, for doing this, such as Amazon Kindle, or similar...
Reading it in a browser will likely cause periodic refreshes and such. A reader-app will try to minimize this, for power, by pre-loading a few pages on either side of your current "bookmark", and only load new sets of pages when you flip past a certain threshold.
Hmm okay, thank you both.

I don't have it enabled to run in the background from what I can see. For the app situation, it's so laughable. This is a different ebook reader app that hasn't been updated since it was created for Windows Phone 8. I used to struggle to use the app which crashed pretty often. It's not very fun to read a book with an app that keeps crashing. For kicks, when it crashes, it doesn't even save the place I last stopped at and hitting the back button accidentally takes you back in the book. :straight:

It's just horrible. On iOS and Android, it's great, so my only choice is using Edge, since the site allows for you to read a book in your browser. The browser experience is great. Unlike the app, it saves where I last read. In this case Edge > app.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
If u turn off edge in the background that stops all background downloading if u leave edge and streaming if u leave edge as well

Sent from mTalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers