Install Old MS Messenger app on Win10M? Solved

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to install old MS Messenger on to Win 10 Mobile? As many of you probably noticed, the new app made directly by FB is slow, crashes often and has high battery usage. So I was wondering if I could install the old one (WP8.1) version of Messenger on my Lumia 650 ??

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Old MS Messenger on Win10M ??

Is there a way to install old MS Messenger on to Win 10 Mobile? As many of you probably noticed, the new app made directly by FB is slow, crashes often and has high battery usage. So I was wondering if I could install the old one (WP8.1) version of Messenger on my Lumia 650 ??

if it was removed from store,then I doubt that can be done
You could check your downloads history in store app

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

if it was removed from store,then I doubt that can be done
You could check your downloads history in store app

Actually it was merged with the new one - basically if you visit the store from WP8.1 phone (Lumia 620 in my case), you will be offered with an option to download an old MS version (11.0.1). And when you visit the same app with Win10M device, the new one (FB made) will be downloaded.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Actually it was merged with the new one - basically if you visit the store from WP8.1 phone (Lumia 620 in my case), you will be offered with an option to download an old MS version (11.0.1). And when you visit the same app with Win10M device, the new one (FB made) will be downloaded.

well then, you're out of luck in that regard
The positive side is that facebook keeps updating their apps regularly, so stability overall should increase

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

well then, you're out of luck in that regard
The positive side is that facebook keeps updating their apps regularly, so stability overall should increase

Technically the old version is still in the store, but is offered only for WP8/8.1 devices. Therefore theoretically, all I need is to somehow get to that file and sideload it to Win10M from PC..
Unfortunately I'm skeptical about FB's Messenger updates.. it's publicly available for some time now and it's still the same - slow, buggy, no transparent tile.. and since it's just a port from iOS app, I doubt it'll be ever better.. user's reviews speak clearly: 2.5 star
We can see that with recently released Win10M app for Facebook, again - it's slow and buggy compared to old MS Facebook app and again - it's iOS port.. Thankfully in this case they didn't merged those two apps, so you can still download the old one..

EDIT: It seems that old Facebook app made by MS, is no longer available...

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

well I still have it, and I plan to keep it, that update in the store can stay there until my phone dies

I tried the "new" app when it was in beta and said NOPE

so here it is Download Facebook Messenger 11.0.1.0 XAP File for Windows Phone - Appx4Fun

sideload it using device portal or just copy it to phone memory or onedrive

hah, notice how it weights like 6mb whereas the ios port is almost 100mb, insane...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

well I still have it, and I plan to keep it, that update in the store can stay there until my phone dies

so here it is Download Facebook Messenger 11.0.1.0 XAP File for Windows Phone - Appx4Fun

hah, notice how it weights like 6mb whereas the ios port is almost 100mb, insane...

most of it would just be junk code that won't ever work on windows 10 - they should just code it again from the ground up for windows

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

That's not the case for everyone. My tile shows the contact pic whenever I get a message.

Sure, mine too, but I was talking about transparent tile, e.g. when there is no message, tile is blue, not transparent:

wp_ss_20160827_0001.png

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

Thank you, but unfortunately I tried to install it directly from OneDrive, from phone memory, sideload it with Device Portal and even with "Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1" and it always throw some error. :(( Any ideas?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Thank you, but unfortunately I tried to install it directly from OneDrive, from phone memory, sideload it with Device Portal and even with "Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1" and it always throw some error. :(( Any ideas?

uninstall the crappy one first? try the xap deployer 8.0 that one manages to work for me when everything else fails

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Sure, mine too, but I was talking about transparent tile, e.g. when there is no message, tile is blue, not transparent:
Ah, got ya. I have my Messenger tile in a folder, so I never see that it's not transparent.

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

Ok, after literally HOURS spent googling/trying/cursing I finally found a solution!

The problem with the most of .xap files you find on the internet is, that they're downloaded directly from Windows Store, which means they're signed (encrypted).
So when you try to sideload them, either from phone memory, SD card, OneDrive or using WP Application Deployment or WPV XAP Deployer 2.0, all you will get, is some nasty error..

Therefore the only solution is to find a modified .xap which is already decrypted.. long story short, here is working old Messenger made by MS (ver. 11.0.1.0):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3801168&d=1467470332

I installed it using WPV XAP Deployer 2.0. Phone of course is needed to be in Developer mode.

And yes, this version supports lock screen/glance icon, it has transparent tile, it's generally quicker and hopefully will have lower battery usage. Oh and by pressing back button it won't close, it'll just go to background.

Thanks EspHack for pointing me to right direction! :smile:

Last edited:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 129939

That picture makes me so furious, oh my god! How dare they destroy such a beautiful creation!

Btw, is facebook API still open? Could one make his own messenger app?

And I'm on the edge of installing the old one as well. I don't know if the ****tyness of the new one outweights the new features.

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

And I'm on the edge of installing the old one as well. I don't know if the ****tyness of the new one outweights the new features.

You can have both, well, sort of.. The old one from link I posted above and the new one as a Messenger Beta which is made by FB Inc.

EDIT: Based on version numbers, Messenger Beta is actually older than non-beta version made by FB Inc. (v79.516 vs. v79.531)

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

^for anyone interested remember to change the extension to .xap after downloading that XDA attachment

glad to help you, now all we need is a black store with decrypted apps ^^

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

That picture makes me so furious, oh my god! How dare they destroy such a beautiful creation!

Btw, is facebook API still open? Could one make his own messenger app?

the river picture?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss