Why is sender name not showing in my outgoing mails?

waeras

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Fix is going out to insiders soon. :)

Update from Microsoft:
"The fix should be going out in a Windows update to Insiders soon, but I need to figure out which flight it will be captured in before I can give a better ETA".

The reason for the delay is that the bug have turned out to be outside of the Mail app, so they can't just fix it with an updated app in the Store, that's why we have to wait for a new build.

Thank you to Lynn Ayres & Caitlin Hart at Microsoft for taking the time to provide me with this information.

waeras

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Update: The fix for this is finally rolling out to insiders in the Fast Ring as of today. Slow Ring and production should be getting it soon too.

"For the fix of from-name issue in #Win10Mail check Windows build 15042/3 flighted today" - Caitlin Hart

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Update: The fix for this is finally rolling out to insiders in the Fast Ring as of today. Slow Ring and production should be getting it soon too.

Confirmed, it's working in fast ring for the first time. An incredible engineering effort has become true!

Sam Nome

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Well, I can only say from my side that last week I received an update to Outlook-Mail Version 17.7920.40508.0 but here nothing changed again. The problem persisted.

Today another one came in, now the Outlook-Mail Version 17.7922.42018.0 and again, nothing changed.

Still no solution to our issue here, the missing sender’s name problem persists (on both of my Smartphone devices Lumia 650 and 950).

The only change I see now in Outlook-Mail is a new childish Kindergarten view with plenty of multi-colored bubbles and wrong initials in it.

Are the developers out of their mind? Why are they busy with implementing unnecessary stupid and childish things like this instead of fixing the bugs?!

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, I can only say from my side that last week I received an update to Outlook-Mail Version 17.7920.40508.0 but here nothing changed again. The problem persisted.
As said in above posts, it can't be fixed by app update as there is something outside the Outlook Mail which caused problem. We need system update for the fix and it's currently available for Windows Insiders.

mv007

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I am very happy to report that this is now working for me.

I’ve upgraded my phone to the latest Fast Insider build (OS build 10.0.15047.0, Outlook Mail version 17.7906.42258.0), tried sending a couple of test emails over several different email accounts. When looking at the received messages for all of them, I can now see my name as well as the email address in the From field.

Note that when the message is composed in the phone Outlook Mail app, the From field on top of the screen still shows only my email address. However, this is not a problem since the message is now sent out with the full “Name Surname” <my@email.com> in the From field in the email message header.

It has been a long wait, but I wanted to say ‘thank you’ to all Microsoft people who got this prioritised and fixed. Many of us don’t fully appreciate all the issues and internal politics these guys have to deal with day-to-day. I am imagining that in the end there was someone who said ‘come on people, let’s fix this, it is embarrassing!’

Many thanks also to all of you who raised this issue with Microsoft and on the Forum, helping this to get more visibility.

This fix makes a massive difference to me. Now, 6 months after buying my Lumia, I can finally respond to my business emails on my business phone, magic!

I am easily pleased, obviously… :smile:

PS: Now, the only other thing I am still missing is the Tasks app (and Notes!) for W10 Mobile which is fully compatible with Outlook and can sync with Exchange… There must be another thread on this already!

Sam Nome

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday I finally received the announced OS update that was supposed to resolve this issue. In my case I got Windows 10 Mobile 10.0.14393.953.

(Outlook-Mail is current with Version 17.8004.42018.0.)

But nothing changed here. The problem persists!!

Outlook-Mail still doesn’t transmit the sender’s name:-((

I give up now and will switch to another OS. Enough is enough.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I am going to bump this up to the top with my experiences as well. I first noticed this issue back around last September-ish, on my Lumia 950XL. I was kind of disappointed at the time, and popped my SIM back into a BlackBerry for a while. This weekend I made the leap to an HP Elite x3 with the current sale at Microsoft, and I was quite surprised to see that the issue with name not showing on outgoing email was still persisting after all these months.

I was just looking to confirm which OS version and Outlook version appear to rectify the situation?

The x3 is currently on WM 10.0.14393.953 and Outlook version 17.8016.42008.0. I'm not on insider at all and don't plan to. Just wanted to know what software versions to be on the lookout for! Thanks!

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by Sam Nome
Yesterday I finally received the announced OS update that was supposed to resolve this issue. In my case I got Windows 10 Mobile 10.0.14393.953.

I think we are both in the same boat because we are not participating in Windows Insider. The issue appears to be fixed in the Creators update, which some are receiving as insiders. This at least means that a fix is imminent. As for me, I don't want to jump to insider because it causes issues with firmware update on the HP x3.

I might try it on my 950XL to verify that this does the trick.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site

I can confirm that a Windows Insider fast ring update to the latest Creator's Update (10.0.15063.2) and Outlook version 17.8021.42368.0 have remedied this issue across all of my accounts. So best bet now is just to wait for Creator's Update to get pushed out to everyone, or go to an insider build.

I tested this on my Lumia 950XL that has not been showing senders name in outgoing email for 6+ months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss