facebook location based ads

Omnomnom

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

during the last weeks I noticed something that makes me a little bit uncomfortable. I use facebook a lot and during the last weeks it happened two times that it recommended me facebook pages from companies I was near by. Like I was in the city and in the evening facebook recommended a shop I walked past. Today I was taking a walk close to an industrial park and again in the evening facebook recommended me a company that I also walked past.

I checked my settings again and I turned the locations for the facebook app off. Also for WhatsApp. The messenger app doesn't appear in the location settings…

So what do you think about it? Maybe it's only my paranoia striking again… But it bugs me… any ideas?
I've got a Lumia 930 with the newest Windows Mobile 10 update on it…

Omnomnom :)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

during the last weeks I noticed something that makes me a little bit uncomfortable. I use facebook a lot and during the last weeks it happened two times that it recommended me facebook pages from companies I was near by. Like I was in the city and in the evening facebook recommended a shop I walked past. Today I was taking a walk close to an industrial park and again in the evening facebook recommended me a company that I also walked past.

I checked my settings again and I turned the locations for the facebook app off. Also for WhatsApp. The messenger app doesn't appear in the location settings…

So what do you think about it? Maybe it's only my paranoia striking again… But it bugs me… any ideas?
I've got a Lumia 930 with the newest Windows Mobile 10 update on it…

Omnomnom :)

it could also be based on the searched you've made or the places you've checked in or the places your friends have tagged you in - to be sure, check all the privacy settings for facebook via a pc browser

Omnomnom

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your answers :)
I'm aware of the ads using my searched terms and my cookies, but in these cases I never looked those companies up. The only connection really was just, that I walked past them…
Also I don't check in locations on facebook and my friends don't tag me (besides for funny memes :D)
But I turned all the ads based on my searched terms and stuff like that off on the facebook page now…

It still creeps me out a little bit……

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your answers :)
I'm aware of the ads using my searched terms and my cookies, but in these cases I never looked those companies up. The only connection really was just, that I walked past them…
Also I don't check in locations on facebook and my friends don't tag me (besides for funny memes :D)
But I turned all the ads based on my searched terms and stuff like that off on the facebook page now…

It still creeps me out a little bit……

well, what's the worst Facebook can do? Tell your friends that you're in town A on street B so they can meet you? :grincry:

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Windows now has 'Advertising ID', which allows app adverts to give you personalised ads. You can turn it off in privacy settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos