09-08-2016 12:17 PM
29 12
tools
    It's no secret that there have been delays when it comes to W10M. Most recently:

Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update delayed for Japan's VAIO Phone Biz | Windows Central

HP Elite x3 shipments from U.S. Microsoft Store delayed until Sept. 26 | Windows Central

The windows faithful will say it's better to delay instead of pushing products that aren't fully ready yet...

The not so faithful will say that they've heard this song before... "coming soon"

All in all tho, these delays will obviously slow down any progress MS could've made when it comes to winning back marketshare.
    09-05-2016 09:34 PM
    Nah...
    We here at Windows Central love delays!
    Without delays we wouldn't know what to do :)
    09-05-2016 09:43 PM
    Nah...
    We here at Windows Central love delays!
    Without delays we wouldn't know what to do :)
    You have mastered the internet
    09-05-2016 10:23 PM
    In all seriousness the delays have become a way of life for this platform.

Seems as though we are way past anger and frustration then the jokes and levity fill in.

I read all of the "this or that is forthcoming" and have learned to expect nothing.

It's extremely difficult to care these days and that is so very sad.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    a5cent, ven07, libra89 and 4 others like this.
    09-05-2016 10:57 PM
    No, not really. I mean it depends, some delays are bad, others are meh, but generally it's not the delays that got us here where we are now.
    I also got used to them, though I actually don't even experience that much delays, because I don't pre-order any phones or anything similar, and as for the software - there's always the Insider Preview.
    So it's (mostly) all good for me. The problem is that not everyone is like me.
    a5cent, ven07, TechFreak1 and 2 others like this.
    09-06-2016 02:27 AM
    Where is this momentum? Did Microsoft/OEMs secure any large corporate preorders?
    theefman and N_LaRUE like this.
    09-06-2016 02:53 AM
    The problem is that not everyone is like me
    Alas
    09-06-2016 08:44 AM
    Where is this momentum? Did Microsoft/OEMs secure any large corporate preorders?
    I did not state that there was a lot of momentum. Even 0.1% momentum can be considered sth. You do have to start somewhere :)
    09-06-2016 08:45 AM
    well the thing is nadella made procrastination a company policy, its a service right? so if it can be shipped later, it WILL be shipped later, there's always something you can add to argue a delay, "it will be worth it"
    09-06-2016 01:25 PM
    The most interest in a product occurs exactly when the product is released. This is the time when people take the time to test it, report on it and give their impressions. First impressions are the most important. So you screw up the first impression you ain't getting a second date. ;)

950/950xl come to mind. They have become more refined and everything about them is better but they ain't getting a second chance.
    ven07, Guytronic, libra89 and 6 others like this.
    09-06-2016 01:46 PM
    950/950xl come to mind. They have become more refined and everything about them is better but they ain't getting a second chance.
    True.. most users were pretty bummed with the OS version they received at that time... Not sure how MS missed most of those bugs/glitches
    09-06-2016 01:54 PM
    The most interest in a product occurs exactly when the product is released. This is the time when people take the time to test it, report on it and give their impressions. First impressions are the most important. So you screw up the first impression you ain't getting a second date. ;)

Anyone here in UK old enough *cough* *cough* to remember the Sinclair QL computer back in the 80s? This was similar in that it was also rushed to market with an unfinished OS. It was eventually rectified but the company never recovered because of the initial impression made. Of course Microsoft is a much wealthier and more diversified company in comparison so they're in no immediate danger. On the other hand there is always the ever present danger of complacency because of this.
    09-06-2016 02:48 PM
    The momentum has already largely been killed after the whole W10M transition and the combined instability of early releases and seemingly slow development pace, lost features, etc.
    09-06-2016 03:03 PM
    Momentum.... what momentum...

sleeping-panda.jpg
    ven07, Guytronic, aximtreo and 8 others like this.
    09-06-2016 04:54 PM
    Momentum.... what momentum...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sleeping panda.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	130217
    Best description so far
    09-06-2016 05:00 PM
    I just think about the surface, Remember Microsoft took over most of the tablet market or should I say windows did, and Microsoft can easy come back with a new phone, but question is should it be android? or allow a android store, android basically copied windows that's how it got so big.
    09-06-2016 05:34 PM
    For those that remember Gone With the Wind, Scarlett O'Hara is famous for saying "I can't worry about that today; I'll worry about that tomorrow."

Does anyone else think this is MS thought for the day.
    libra89, Guytronic, a5cent and 3 others like this.
    09-06-2016 05:53 PM
    I just think about the surface, Remember Microsoft took over most of the tablet market or should I say windows did, and Microsoft can easy come back with a new phone, but question is should it be android? or allow a android store, android basically copied windows that's how it got so big.
    A) Defeats the universal app platform completely - Windows is becoming device agnostic to put it simply. B)Leave all the API changes, core optimisations to a competitor... lol. AOSP is bare bones, it will need quite a lot of work to get it where it needs to be.

For those that remember Gone With the Wind, Scarlett O'Hara is famous for saying "I can't worry about that today; I'll worry about that tomorrow."

Does anyone else think this is MS thought for the day.
    due-tomorrow.-do-tomorrow.jpg

libra89, Guytronic, a5cent and 5 others like this.
    09-06-2016 05:55 PM
    It won't be that easy :/ Even with the Surface Pro's it took some time before people fully gave it the recognition it deserved.

MS has lost a lot of users when it comes to mobile and the Surface Phone will be geared towards enterprise so it won't be accessible to everyone.

No to the android thing tho....
    09-06-2016 06:52 PM
    True.. most users were pretty bummed with the OS version they received at that time... Not sure how MS missed most of those bugs/glitches
    They didn't miss it, it's pretty clear windows 10 wasn't started to be made for mobile until Anniversary. Kinda like windows 10 wasn't tablet somewhat passable, until threshold.

Well at least they are back on track now I guess. Full steam ahead?
    ven07 likes this.
    09-07-2016 12:50 AM
    I did not state that there was a lot of momentum. Even 0.1% momentum can be considered sth. You do have to start somewhere :)
    Neither did justonlumia. He asked where the momentum was. I don't see any at all, in fact Microsoft's smartphone market share has crashed in the past couple of years and seems to be dropping back all the time. Even now I suspect there are a few people who stay faithful because of the Nokia connections and when the revamped Nokia firm start shipping Android phones I can see a lot more people jumping ship.

Just a few observations, but Samsung and Apple have new flagships out now or any day soon and we're stuck with the 950 and 950XL. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great phones but the only new significant Windows phone on the market that I am aware of is the HP x3. That looks like a fantastic piece of kit, but frankly given the bargain basement price of the 950XL at the moment I can't see why anybody would want to spend double the amount on the x3 when you can buy the 950XL so cheaply now.

The actual prices are also worrying. 339 for the XL with a free Display Dock worth 80 in the UK is fantastic if you're buying, but with the top Android and Apple phones costing double that amount it either smacks of desperation and suggests there are massive overstocks, or Microsoft has a couple of fantastic new flagships imminent, and I think we all know it's not likely to be the latter.

Even when they do bring out something new they seriously need to update the design from the understated looks of the current flagships. I'm happy with it but new buyers are looking for something that will attract them to the phone visually to begin with; first impressions and all that. I'm an accidental convert, having gone out to possibly buy an LG G3 and coming home with a Lumia 930 but it only happened because the G3 was out of stock and the store had a working model of the Lumia on display. That won me over, otherwise I would probably still be on Android.

To be honest I'm kicking myself for upgrading to the 950 six months ago because if I had thought the XL was going to drop in price so much and come with a free dock I would have waited. I can't see WP disappearing in the short term, if only because of Continuum, but are we going to go back to the days when only niche models like the x3 exist?

I'm always defending the platform when I read all these "Windows Phone is dead" articles but the worrying thing is if Microsoft have to drop prices so low for something that in my opinion outperforms any iPhone, and have nothing new lined up then it would appear to be cause for concern.

I've always found it odd that they never marketed the platform more aggressively in the face of all the negative reviews which has clearly given the public the misconception that the phones are a lot worse than they really are, but around the time of the Nokia deal a couple of years ago there did appear to be some momentum building. That now seems to have disappeared completely and the only positive thing I have seen is that 3 out of the 4 main UK networks now carry the Lumia 950 (previously only 2 of them did), but only one is carrying the 950XL although that's one more than the beginning of the year.

That's on EE UK network but it's not an attractive deal at 56 a month on a 24 month unlimited plan (10GB data), bearing in mind the cost of buying it sim free, so they're not going to sell many. The same network has a similar deal on the iPhone 6s Plus and the Galaxy Note 7 so few people are going to chose the Lumia.
    09-07-2016 04:31 AM
    You're forgetting that the Surface Tablet never had an app problem (ignoring the RT version of course) i.e. Regular desktop Windows is already top dog as far as that is concerned. Hardware was also never the problem for Windows Phone, it's the apps as has been reiterated countless times before. If UWP eventually solves the app situation then it stands a chance, but that doesn't look like that will happen any time soon.

The surface Phone is just going to be a more premium version of the 950/950XL unless it somehow brings something else to the table. I just can't see what they could possibly add that would make it a hot item.
    ven07 and libra89 like this.
    09-07-2016 08:04 AM
    More than the delays, it is the poor participation of OEMs and developers that kills the momentum for W10m. Personally, I don't care for the app-gap, since most websites' mobile interface is a lot like an app which is sufficient. Yet, a normal user is turned off each time he/she sees an app supporting only iOS/Android or some app ending support for Windows.
    Then, there aren't many options out there for W10M. Yes, there are some 20 companies announcing windows mobile devices but unless the big players support it, the momentum will die down.
    ven07 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-07-2016 12:40 PM
    Personally, I don't care for the app-gap, since most websites' mobile interface is a lot like an app which is sufficient. Yet, a normal user is turned off each time he/she sees an app supporting only iOS/Android or some app ending support for Windows..
    Where an app is superior is for hardware specific features like the ability to scan barcodes with a store app etc
    ven07, Laura Knotek and anthonyng like this.
    09-07-2016 12:54 PM
    Who cares about delays when Apple just released a Darth Vader Iphone.
    xandros9, Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    09-07-2016 04:09 PM
29 12