Here's a first ...

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
... well, it's a first for me anyway.

Earlier today I placed an order on Amazon. Just about 15 minutes ago I get a notification from Outlook mail on my 950 about it being shipped and the event was added to my Outlook calendar .... sure enough there's the event in my calendar titled, 'Package from Amazon' and it's for this Tuesday the 13th (when it's supposed to be delivered). I thought that was pretty cool :cool:

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened when I ordered something on eBay. It has it setup on the calendar and on the Cortana app. Great job Microsoft for making us more organized.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
... well, it's a first for me anyway.

Earlier today I placed an order on Amazon. Just about 15 minutes ago I get a notification from Outlook mail on my 950 about it being shipped and the event was added to my Outlook calendar .... sure enough there's the event in my calendar titled, 'Package from Amazon' and it's for this Tuesday the 13th (when it's supposed to be delivered). I thought that was pretty cool :cool:

the account you used in amazon is the same as the account you use on your phone?

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't have Amazon app on my phone. I do my ordering via my desktop.

I think he meant to ask if you use the same email ID for MSA (outlook) & Amazon.

Because I guess then only, the shipping details get delivered to your MSA (outlook) inbox and it gets added to your calendar.

Don't know if it would work with a secondary account. (Eg: Outlook as MSA and gmail registed on Amazon)

Or does it work with all email ID's as long as you've added them to outlook ?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure you can allow Cortana to read your email. This is similar to how she provides flight details.

I booked my first flight tickets today (since Cortana came to my country), so I'm interested in seeing how it works for me. Maybe I'll find out it only does this for the US, and that will suck.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure you can allow Cortana to read your email. This is similar to how she provides flight details.

I booked my first flight tickets today (since Cortana came to my country), so I'm interested in seeing how it works for me. Maybe I'll find out it only does this for the US, and that will suck.

I think you're about to find out that Cortana outside of the USA sucks.

I've been using the UK version (which is apparently quite up-to-date) and in 2 years I've never seen Cortana track a flight, package, hotel booking, meeting or social event.....ever

The only thing it does with reasonable accuracy is take reminders. Everything else is USA only. You know, the place where W10M has about a 0.000000000000000000000000001% market

Mach_E

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I can confirm this works at least in one other country. India.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand this. I live in Canada and I never get anything like this. I have connected Cortana to everything I can in settings and notebook. How do you get Cortana to "read your email" as Shmsnh put it? I order from Amazon, etc. all the time and I never have anything like this happen. Cortana seems remarkably unaware of my life and unhelpful.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It may be a new back-end feature that they just flipped the switch on. I've always had to manually insert the tracking numbers into Cortana. We'll see what happens next time I make an online purchase.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I found that the stuff has to goto your microsoft account email. I still use gmail and another business imap account heavily and cortana doesn't process them. Once I did forward it to my microsoft account email and cortana picked it up! I kinda stopped caring to change the way I email. Prefer they fix it so cortana can just read ALL emails in the mail app or your connected accounts, it shouldn't matter, the emails are downloaded!

Mach_E

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I found that the stuff has to goto your microsoft account email. I still use gmail and another business imap account heavily and cortana doesn't process them. Once I did forward it to my microsoft account email and cortana picked it up! I kinda stopped caring to change the way I email. Prefer they fix it so cortana can just read ALL emails in the mail app or your connected accounts, it shouldn't matter, the emails are downloaded!

I guess that part of Cortana's functionality might be built into the cloud and your other emails eg. Gmail etc .. since they are not present in the cloud so Cortana just cannot track/read those emails.
Not sure how Cortana works on android or ios. But, my guess would be it wouldn't have access to the native email accounts but only Microsoft @outlook @hotmail ones.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand this. I live in Canada and I never get anything like this. I have connected Cortana to everything I can in settings and notebook. How do you get Cortana to "read your email" as Shmsnh put it? I order from Amazon, etc. all the time and I never have anything like this happen. Cortana seems remarkably unaware of my life and unhelpful.

I feel your frustration. Like you, I've always given Cortana unlimited access to creep through my emails, messages, contacts, xbox and linkedin connections, etc, etc. There is literally not a single piece of data on my phone, surface, band or xbox that Cortana doesn't have access to and still I cannot get it to do more than take basic reminders and tell me the weather

Mach_E

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have all these permissions turned on though.
Just to mention I haven't taken a flight or train since July, so not sure if anything has changed in the recent builds.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20160914_0001.png
    wp_ss_20160914_0001.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 2

BonzeUK

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK and only ever had one package tracked. I'm guessing it was an email to my main MS account.
I get stuff from Amazon all the time to my other account and nothing has appeared in Cortana.

Hadn't thought of forwarding the email to my MS account, I'll give that a try.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess that part of Cortana's functionality might be built into the cloud and your other emails eg. Gmail etc .. since they are not present in the cloud so Cortana just cannot track/read those emails.
Not sure how Cortana works on android or ios. But, my guess would be it wouldn't have access to the native email accounts but only Microsoft @outlook @hotmail ones.

I guess they did do lots of bank end changes, dare I say it.... yes I do: it wasn't like that in 8.1 ;D (no I don't miss 8.1)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire