Is the HP Elite X3 Windows Phone's Swan Song?

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I think this might be the last ever Windows Phone.

I totally, and kind of hilariously, botched a poll asking if others thought so, too. But this is the real poll.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe that as long as Microsoft hasn't technically killed Windows 10 Mobile, then there will always be the occasional odd device from China or the rare major manufacturer throwing out a device as another experiment or otherwise use it as a bargaining chip.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've answered yes...I think there will be another Windows Phone, however I'm actually completely undecided on this.

On the one hand...

1. Microsoft appear to be working hard to convince OEM's that W10M is a viable operating system and something they should be pushing on their enterprise clients.
2. There have been far too many rumours about a "surface phone" for it to be completely made up
3. The whole "cloud first, mobile first" mantra sort of needs to be propped up with a mobile offering
4. Microsoft have spent a huge amount of time, money and resource in developing bridging strategies to bring apps from other platforms over to the UWP. W10M is supposed to see some direct benefit from that.
5. Xamarin. Microsoft are pushing this cross platform development tool hard and have even created a dedicated weekly show on Channel 9 to guide developers on how to use it.
6. Continuum. Microsoft see this as a legitimate differentiator to other mobile devices. Continuum is one of those "bends in the curve" that Nadella keeps saying he's looking for. I use it a lot and it legitimately does have the makings of something that could provide W10M with a targeted audience.
7. Satya Nadella has repeatedly confirmed over the past 18 months that Microsoft are committed to the mobile space and will build phones to showcase W10M

On the other hand...

1. This is Microsoft we're talking about. At times they confuse "committed" with "actually, now we just can't be bothered so...erm...bye"

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
well ****. I read that wrong. I was answering to the topic question (Swan song) not will there be another WP ever?
I answered NO cause I don't think this is the device that will turn things around. But there will be other phones. (Looking at you Alcatel Idol 4 pro)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think Windows Phone only dies if Windows dies. I think there are enough W10 touch enabled hybrids and tablets for people to want apps. The more apps there are, the more sense it makes that a phone running those same apps will be a good experience. And as long as Windows 10 keeps chugging along, and MS keeps W10 mobile up to date, vendors can sell low cost phones with good security and a well maintained OS with a slowly increasing app catalog.

That said, it will probably take quite a few years to get there. Now if Apple keeps removing ports and Samsung phones keep exploding, that time might arrive sooner. :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
As a followup: MS just started listing desktop software (non-UWP) in the store, see here. As the author writes, it remains to be seen whether this will lower the amount of UWP development and/or whether this will enhance the number of store apps with improved Win10 integration.

And my personal musing: I'm curious if it would sell a few more phones if the Surface Phone could run such repackaged 'safe' Desktop apps, at the cost of power efficiency. In my fantasy world quite a few people would try working with such a phone as their only device, and asking developers to make their desktop app work better on the phone. Whether this will move the needle at all is an open question. I'm hoping it will!

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
well for the time being it is, we are probably going to wait another 2-3 years of fans crying for a high end phone again unless recent moves to eliminate the lumia line means paving the road for an imminent ultimate-phone from microsoft

yea no firm rumors yet but the book and original surface were just as quiet before materializing

they cant realistically expect testers*cof*insiders to last 3 years with what they have now, sd400 phones and such

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have to think, have to dream, that MS is doing something to make a x86 6 inch phone that runs Full Windows. If they do that AND get it on all carriers it will be a huge success, But Windows 10 Mobile is essentially dead. No carriers even have them and the number of users that buy phones outright are too small of a factor.

I know people say it's a challenge, but the battery life seems to be the only issue for me. I have a 7" HP Slate full Windows. Why can't MS or some OEM get one down to 6 inches and cram a phone in it. There would instantly be a ton of apps for it and I think they would fly off the shelves.

But if MS continues with Windows 10 Mobile, well, nothing's going to save that ship.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure there will be more mobile phones. But I think we still have to wait two or three generations of microprocessors for the transistor size to be good enough for full windows.

Also batteries being better, I don't know how long that will take. We always see news about "new battery technology makes them hold 29483627282x charge!!!" And then 5 years go by :( and we're still here. I still hope though.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
New Phones? Yup.

The arena is now open. The former champions, all Lumias, have retired. The Lumia brothers dominated in every weight class and now the title belts are all up for grabs.

OEM vs OEM in a round robin, no holds barred tournament. The fight cards will be forming up. The super-heavyweight class already has a new favorite (the aforementioned Elite X3) and some challengers ready or waiting in the wings: Acer Liquid Jade Primo and Alcatel Idol 4 Pro. There are some qualifiers going on regionally in other key contests. Japan looks to be strong in the super-middleweight class with NuAns Neo, VAIO and Mouse Computer. China looks to be fielding entrants from the bantamweight and welterweight divisions with Coship and Cube. Will some Korean Bruisers like Samsung, and LG or that Taiwanese Trash Talker HTC come out swinging and looking to claim a title?

Did you know that WDRT now supports 18 OEMs whose name is not Lumia? Some of them were former combatants, true, but they may return and many of the entrants are new for this year...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you know that WDRT now supports 18 OEMs whose name is not Lumia? Some of them were former combatants, true, but they may return and many of the entrants are new for this year...
Quite conspicuous in its absence on this WDRT list is one of the Korean Bruisers you mentioned - Samsung. Considering their heavy influence in the pre-Lumia WP7 days, they barely made any ripples on WP8 with the exception of the wonderful Ativ SE. Too bad it was a Verizon exclusive.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Reportedly, Uncle Sammy and Miss Croft have kissed and made up. Sammy owed the gal a lot of money and they've come to an arrangement. You may see them back out on the town together yet... Remember that Tizen isn't working out so much and Sammy wants a second OS.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
An ode to Microsoft....

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Where the hell is my Surface Phone
I'm tired of waiting, dammit!!

The last part doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but it does have a certain poignancy if I say so myself

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers