Is the HP Elite X3 Windows Phone's Swan Song?

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Paolo Ferrazza - You sound like a delusional Black Berry fan when their market share had dropped to 3%. The truth is many apps are stopping support for W10M including many popular titles and business apps. Yes some people are putting a few apps and games out, but nothing major.

The point of going win32 is you would instantly have a huge library of apps and games and buyers would be guaranteed they would get plenty more. MS is also making it easier to port apps to UWP with their desktop converter. Not so with W10M.

But they do also have to get these devices in carriers and offer them on contract plans. The vast majority of people in the US at least buy phones on contract and they get them in brick and mortar stores. The last year you couldn't hardly find any Window Phones and Sprint only carried a few 2 year old models online.

So yes, W10M is on life support, and about the only thing that will save it is switching a x86 chip.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I think if they get x86 chips in the devices, they won't really need to make a point of getting them into carrier stores. You don't buy computers on payment plans. Having a full PC, running full and complete Windows, would be very appealing and so far, there's nothing remotely comparable in existence, so I don't think it'd be a problem if they were even limited to their own Microsoft/Windows stores.
Also, not sure what it's like with your local carriers, but here you still have to pay a large amount of the phone's cost upfront if you buy from a carrier. Line fees (cost per phone line/SIM card) are also much lower if you bring your own device. No major reason to buy from the carrier.

P4geD0wn

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Last win 10 m phone? for sure not. Relevant, probably. There can be many more w10m phones but if they cant compare to Iphones and flagships androids (especially in camera department) they are pretty much irrelevant. Nobody will talk about them outside from windows fan sites.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Paolo Ferrazza - You sound like a delusional Black Berry fan when their market share had dropped to 3%. The truth is many apps are stopping support for W10M including many popular titles and business apps. Yes some people are putting a few apps and games out, but nothing major.

The point of going win32 is you would instantly have a huge library of apps and games and buyers would be guaranteed they would get plenty more. MS is also making it easier to port apps to UWP with their desktop converter. Not so with W10M.

But they do also have to get these devices in carriers and offer them on contract plans. The vast majority of people in the US at least buy phones on contract and they get them in brick and mortar stores. The last year you couldn't hardly find any Window Phones and Sprint only carried a few 2 year old models online.

So yes, W10M is on life support, and about the only thing that will save it is switching a x86 chip.

I stick to facts (some apps came some apps went, definetly not worse than where we were 2 years ago ... BOA, FBx2, netflix, instagram, twitter are now proper apps and I can continue, while I can only think about Amazon as a big player that left and it's a service which for the most part can be used via web) and expose strict reasoning.

You can't directly contraddict anything I said so you have to tell me I'm delusional.

Anderson Cave

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I know this may not mean much to anyone here, but are you aware HP has sold out for the second time in two weeks ? But then again if you produce 4 per online site they would go fast huh ? Let's see what the numbers says, if it's any of our business !

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I know this may not mean much to anyone here, but are you aware HP has sold out for the second time in two weeks ? But then again if you produce 4 per online site they would go fast huh ? Let's see what the numbers says, if it's any of our business !

I don't think they'll show sale numbers unless they are crazy good.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I stick to facts (some apps came some apps went, definetly not worse than where we were 2 years ago ... BOA, FBx2, netflix, instagram, twitter are now proper apps and I can continue, while I can only think about Amazon as a big player that left and it's a service which for the most part can be used via web) and expose strict reasoning.

You can't directly contraddict anything I said so you have to tell me I'm delusional.

Sorry for the late response but I am saying you're delusional because you think W10M is doing okay despite their market share having dropped to the point it's now practically irrelevant.

And saying the apps are not worse than they were two years ago is crazy. Stagnating for two years isn't a good thing when you're talking about mobile.

As for me saying x86 i mean able to run full W10 and not a mobile version. That's about the only thing that will save any variant of a phone running Windows.

I'm really not trying to start a fight but I stand behind my assertion theW10M is on its last leg. And I loved the OS, but MS really seemed to have a strategy that defied logic in regards to getting good phones into carrier stores. And now 2+ years after switching my 950 out I still can't get a WP on Sprint so it's an LG20 for me.

If it comes back and I'm proven wrong I'll be happy to get another WP. But if the X3 is all they have and a Surface Phone doesn't become a reality very soon with a x86 chip and in every major carrier on contract then it's done for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa