[Poll] How many on windows 10 mobile are using transparency

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious if this is the most popular feature of windows 10 mobile and if MS is seeing these sort of stats on their end. If indeed it is they are probably aware that they need to be devoting more time to it. Just the fact that they announced to plan and have a Skype transparent tile means that they believe it important enough to mention.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I still use the original 8.1 way of doing background photos, used the new one for a few months but back to my oldie but goldie mode, it just looks so unique

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You mean the seeing the background pic through the tiles? Yeah I like this way better than the background pic hiding behind the tiles. Was skeptical when it was first used in 8.1 but it actually looks cool. The key thing to remember is that not every photo will look good with the transparent tiles. I think light colors and with not too much going ok works best

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
You mean the seeing the background pic through the tiles? Yeah I like this way better than the background pic hiding behind the tiles. Was skeptical when it was first used in 8.1 but it actually looks cool. The key thing to remember is that not every photo will look good with the transparent tiles. I think light colors and with not too much going ok works best

Get PicsArt and then use lens blur in the effects section. This will allow any photo to look at least decent if you pick the right color tiles. You usually need something close to the same color to do a bit of blend and the lens blur creates depth making the tiles look almost 3d with the right pic. I actually find Dark backgrounds to look worse because of the lack of that 3d effect. Again the colour/transparency/lens blur combo must be right. I was doing full tiles for a while with a really nice blend of those but found a cool superman wallpaper and in order to implement it had to do full transparency.

wp_ss_20160922_0003.jpg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I voted yes, but truthfully, I flip flop a lot. I love the look of the transparent tiles so much. At the same time, since I like light theme, I go with the background for the tiles too. Either way, transparent tiles for the win.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I still use the original 8.1 way of doing background photos, used the new one for a few months but back to my oldie but goldie mode, it just looks so unique

Same here. I really like the Tile Picture (hollow square) as opposed to the Full Screen Picture (semi-transparent tiles). I think they just look cleaner. The only thing is that there's this annoying bug that reverts it back to that Full Screen Picture: if you choose to use Tile Picture, and you set a new background from within the Photos app, it will revert back to Full Screen Picture.

StarLord0890

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I keep switching between all three modes. But I am using the transparent tiles the most and background pic the least. With keeping the background pic sometimes the start screen doesn't look too neat. I am also loving all the color options microsoft has added in win10m.... I keep experimenting with them.

Sent from mTalk

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I use my background in tile mode and full transparency.
Used to use full background but I have come to really like the tiled mode.

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I use transparent tiles exclusively. If the app doesn't have a transparent tile it doesn't go on my start screen. BTW - I use tile picture mode for my start screen.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
lIve transparent tiles are great, but are also an awful lot when they dont update and only show the app icon, that somehow ruins the whole look of it. I use Transparent tiles which are spread all over the display, almost all the apps now have live tile support so most of my apps are on the start screen with easy access anytime.

Ryan Kwong

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Get PicsArt and then use lens blur in the effects section. This will allow any photo to look at least decent if you pick the right color tiles. You usually need something close to the same color to do a bit of blend and the lens blur creates depth making the tiles look almost 3d with the right pic. I actually find Dark backgrounds to look worse because of the lack of that 3d effect. Again the colour/transparency/lens blur combo must be right. I was doing full tiles for a while with a really nice blend of those but found a cool superman wallpaper and in order to implement it had to do full transparency.

View attachment 130632

Really digging the layout of your tiles. I must inquire how you got all those transparent tiles? I know some of them like LINE doesn't have it built into the app. Thanks!

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Really digging the layout of your tiles. I must inquire how you got all those transparent tiles? I know some of them like LINE doesn't have it built into the app. Thanks!

There's an app for that. Transparency Tiles. But most of them are from the WP8 days, and as such, has not seen an update for a while, so the amount of apps it supports are not that much. So far, only Facebook, Twitter, and Messenger are supported.

There's another Transparency Tile app that allows you to pin more tiles, but I'm not sure if it's still in the store. It supports Skype!

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Transparent tiles with custom value, 2 rows, custom background made by me

A nice blend I say
e70368282176414b63b92b7795622b0e.png

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I actually changed it a bit as it was my first run, looks much better but will post in appropriate start thread hehe. I use a program called see-through tiles. It has messenger, facebook, line, a lot of the MS office ones too.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20160922_0008.jpg
    wp_ss_20160922_0008.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 4

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I use transparent tiles exclusively. If the app doesn't have a transparent tile it doesn't go on my start screen. BTW - I use tile picture mode for my start screen.

I think developers really need to know that. I actually do the same thing. I used to even check the guardian using their app on a daily basis because sometimes I would spot something I wanted to read. But I went all transparent and now i barely remember about the apps I don't have pinned. Translucency doesn't ruin a logo, you can always still identify it. I mean I use an app to get translucent tiles and they still look like their respective logos just no colour. MS needs to really set out guidelines. Tiles should:

*Have an option to be translucent or opaque
*Have an option to enable/disable live tile for both versions.
*Have an option to justify the tile text (left, center, right)
*Have an option to remove the text all together

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
^^^ This.

If the tile isn't transparent, doesn't go on my start screen. :)

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss