Instagram Devs are way better than FB devs

DavidTheGiant

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
What do you think about this guys? Instagram developers are way more active on updating and bringing stability to their app whereas Facebook developers haven't put attention on their Messenger and Facebook apps for almost a month now. But didn't facebook already bought instagram? So that means it's the same developers? or not? oh well.. still waiting for the Facebook and Messenger updates for mobile.. :(

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol yes they belong to one company now, but I'm pretty sure the ig dev team is still there so different teams.. different results

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
you forgot instagram was in beta ever since they released it like 2 years ago until recently? I mean literally that app was a one-off for them, almost useless

the thing is I dont fully blame fb for this, microsoft gave them porting options, they encouraged developers to use them, facebook did that, and here is what happened, you can blame fb for not "optimizing" or anything, but you dont know under what terms are they allowed to operate according to microsoft's app porting guidelines, there's a good portion of potentially good apps that are hindered by microsoft's incompetence, I just asked proshot recently about 5.1 recording, their reply was simply "sorry, out of our hands, microsoft doesnt provide much control over mics"

DavidTheGiant

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
But what really bothered me the most is at first they we're so active on updating the app on it's BETA days but now it looks like they seem to abandon the mobile version of their apps.. leaving us with some crashes and instability. And yeah the PC version of Facebook and Messenger looks more updated and it's the one that gets most of the attention from them :(

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm pleased with Instagram's work. For once, Windows 10 Mobile hasn't been as far behind. It seems like they update the app on a monthly basis. I hope that it will continue to be this way.

Last edited:

gjbcapital

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Facebook used their own tools for the porting. If you check the apps when running using the device portal option, there are osmeta libraries taking 300 MB for each one of them. This is why FB Messenger Instagram are so slow on 1GB ram phones.

DavidTheGiant

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by gjbcapital
Facebook used their own tools for the porting. If you check the apps when running using the device portal option, there are osmeta libraries taking 300 MB for each one of them. This is why FB Messenger Instagram are so slow on 1GB ram phones.

but Instagram is not slow on my Lumia 550 which has 1gb of RAM only. it runs very smooth unlike FB and Messenger. I think instagram devs really optimized this app unlike facebook devs :(

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
but Instagram is not slow on my Lumia 550 which has 1gb of RAM only. it runs very smooth unlike FB and Messenger. I think instagram devs really optimized this app unlike facebook devs :(

They're probably doing the same thing MS is doing and just going with the "good enough" solution.

gjbcapital

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
All three apps use same facebook porting technology. Instangram loads a little faster but has slow scroling, freezing when uploading a video, artifacts at video playback and some other issues on low spec hardware devices. Bottom line the average user forms the opinion the OS is slow. Average consumer doesn't care if facebook appointed the projects to mediocre developers. It was microsofts job to make sure at least the 20 most used apps were ready and functional at windows 10 release date.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
you forgot instagram was in beta ever since they released it like 2 years ago until recently? I mean literally that app was a one-off for them, almost useless

the thing is I dont fully blame fb for this, microsoft gave them porting options, they encouraged developers to use them, facebook did that, and here is what happened, you can blame fb for not "optimizing" or anything, but you dont know under what terms are they allowed to operate according to microsoft's app porting guidelines, there's a good portion of potentially good apps that are hindered by microsoft's incompetence, I just asked proshot recently about 5.1 recording, their reply was simply "sorry, out of our hands, microsoft doesnt provide much control over mics"

Also don't forget due to WaaS the goal post will move much more frequently as opposed to working towards and with a polished o/s update therefore as xandros9 pointed out - they've gone for the "good enough" solution. The porting tool used for Fb messenger, Fb and Ig app is osmeta (which Facebook bought awhile back) not islandwood.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Afaik FB devs did not use the porting tools offered by MS. They used their own tools :/

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Afaik FB devs did not use the porting tools offered by MS. They used their own tools :/

alright, lets wonder why did they do that... something wrong with MS's tools? or they just wanted to handle it all by themselves on top of the fact that they were always reluctant to make an app at all in the first place, hmmm...

tj_moore

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Most fellow devs I've spoken to that work in mobile apps say they're really impressed by Microsoft's tools, and they're the best tool for cross platform work. Problem is though that development has to start with Windows and port to other platforms for the best results. Most start with iOS and Android and then maybe their business reluctantly thinks about Windows at a later date but wants it at the lowest cost and the devs don't have the budget and time to learn the MS tools.

On the subject of Facebook, oddly their own app for Win 10 desktop is actually pretty good and even includes live video feature. I guess though it's still not UWP, else they could have easily knocked out a mobile app that is basically the same but formatted for mobile. Instead they've given us a god awful port that's unusable due to instability and functionally lacking.

Microsoft's own app on the other hand, while I used to moan about it for missing features, is infinitely superior to Facebook's effort. Why can't Facebook just pay MS to update the app? It's in both their interests and especially Microsoft's if they want to launch a Surface phone or whatever. It will tank if the core popular apps are garbage conversions that crash all the time.

Instagram app is a little better, although still bloated and slow to launch. It is also very unstable on an SD card. 9 times out of 10 I can't get it to post an image without crashing, so give up. Have moved it to phone memory now and see how that goes, but on a 640 phone memory is very limited.

Anyway, MS's Facebook app I can no longer install. I was able to install but it would only run so long as I remove the Facebook version, but now I can't even install it from the store. No install button at all. Annoying as I removed it so I could clear the memory and try to install it on phone memory, as the 'move' option said not enough memory (despite it claiming it was taking 40mb and phone memory has 1.5gb free supposedly). So if you have the MS app, don't uninstall it! Or if you do, use the FB web site. It seems to be more responsive than any of the apps anyway in Edge. Just you won't get live video, contact syncing etc.

gjbcapital

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
On the subject of Facebook, oddly their own app for Win 10 desktop is actually pretty good and even includes live video feature. I guess though it's still not UWP, else they could have easily knocked out a mobile app that is basically the same but formatted for mobile. Instead they've given us a god awful port that's unusable due to instability and functionally lacking.

It's bad on desktop too but an i5 processor has 10 times the power of a mobile phone processor and hides the lag. Introducing the same functionality on the mobile app will probably make it even more unstable.

DavidTheGiant

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
It's almost a month now since they last updated the FB and Messenger apps. Instagram got a lot of updates the past month and 3 days ago instagram got another update again. What's happening to the other two ported apps? FB inc? aren't you listening to feedback? or you just don't care at all? :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon