Frustrating Experience

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not often I have to only rely on my phone for a full week but while at Microsoft Ignite I was in that exact situation.

I was at the first Ignite in Chicago and back then I had WP8.1, everything worked great because I could easily join conference calls with "Join Conference App". Even if I didn't use that app I could just go to my calendar and join calls by copying access codes and clicking phone numbers to dial in. Fast forward to WM10 and Ignite 2016 and this was not possible, no clickable phone numbers but useless clickable access codes. Somehow I did get a clickable phone number with access code, you know with the commas in between for delay and a # sign at the end to automate it? Well, clicking that took me to maps with an error that it could not find location. I figured I would just copy it from map into the phone number field, nope...couldn't copy it.

From an email I managed to find just the number, it wasn't clickable but I was able to copy it...go to dial and I couldn't paste it. Basically all week long I had to carry a pen around and paper in my pocket so that I could copy the phone numbers and access codes of the calls I had to join.

Am I totally missing some settings here or have others experienced these issues? If Microsoft is seriously looking to target enterprise with W10M then they need to have these basics working. At least my current position doesn't put me into these situations often at all but if it was more regular I wouldn't be able to stay on the platform as it is incredibly disruptive.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Did they actually have the app for the conference? Did you try asking the staff there at the conference on how to solve the issues?

satishn

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
May be this is because of the format of the number. A couple hours ago I joined a meeting by going to the meeting invite, clicking on the clickable dial-in number, it opened in the people app (I didn't have it saved as a contact. But it showed the number using the people app), I clicked on the number and it dialed. I also noticed the access code also showed up as clickable. I couldn't do anything with though. Both of these were in the US number format - "xxx xxx xxxx". Phone number had international code "1" prefix and access number didn't.

Additionally, there are numbers for other countries in the meeting invite and some of them were clickable and others weren't. It appeared the ones clickable were properly formatted and others weren't. I'm on Lumia 830 WM10 production build with outlook 17.7369.40688.0. I vaguely remember this working on prior versions too.

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
There was a build prior to the Anniversary Update that did allow pasting of numbers for dialing, consistency has not been a strong point with these builds.

There were Microsoft experts on hand for pretty much everything at Ignite except Window 10 Mobile. Where they actually had phones was at the Microsoft Store area and the HP was there, however the people working there were not experts for any phones.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
my dad just called me asking to erase his phone so he could sell it right away, a lumia 640 running AU, almost same situation, a guy giving him a number and the phone would constantly reformat the number and overall just make it impossible for him to save a simple number as a contact, he had to find a pen and paper, while having a 5" modern smartphone on his hand, ridiculous if you ask me

got another friend who upgraded from 8X to 830 AU recently and told me he was tired of constant app crashing, another friend who is an even bigger ms ****** than I am with a 950 XL told me his back camara just wont work even after hard resets, and then another friend with another 640 unhappy that she couldnt play pokemon while it was fun

put simply, w10m is a failure in most cases, at the very least on wp8 and 8.1 my friends were satisfied with the experience and actually liked the strong points of wp against the competition, now there's just problems

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
And they want to focus on Enterprise with crap like these? Dream on MS.

This is not common. People with issues tend to complain, while those without are silent. It's human nature.

OTOH, it does seem that the complaints have gone up since W10M, and that there are more than on the competing platforms, especially considering WP's minuscule market share.

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
This is not common. People with issues tend to complain, while those without are silent. It's human nature.

OTOH, it does seem that the complaints have gone up since W10M, and that there are more than on the competing platforms, especially considering WP's minuscule market share.

That's correct. There are potentially more phones out, legacy and newer, some of them updated/others not, so it's a mix of OS's. And no hardware or software will be bug free. Thankfully warrranties help more recently purchased stuff: I'd certainly not counter holding on to tech that I'd purchased that had obvious and frequent faults. The earlier releases of Win10 mobile weren't particularly ready for market imo: peoples' experiences of those handsets and OS variants can thus be due to that earlier period of its development. The bugs etc may have long since disappeared but the stories may not. The OS itself is now much slicker and fit for purpose: we have no way of knowing what period of time these stories relate to, users' settings etc. I only know people who have equipment who are pretty satisfied both with it and their usage experience in recent months. But satisfaction with MS and their strategic direction is a different thing - I'm not particularly pleased with them. And if users have needs for greater volumes of specfic apps, for example, that are missing and unlikely to materialise in the near time, they are also likely to be more unhappy with how things are to date.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

yep, problem is I've seen it firsthand now, multiple cases with multiple varying hardware, my icon and even my 928 run almost perfectly, doesn't matter, the thing with w10m is that anything could go alright or completely wrong for no apparent reason, that's an obvious lack of proper QA before release, its normal to have a loud minority plagued with problems, but on w10m that is not a minority by any means, its almost the norm

look no further One year into the 18 month 'Redstone 2 beta test'

steve is as hardcore as it gets for microsoft famboyism(otherwise how could you live with this?), he probably has had almost ALL lumias ever produced going though his hands at some point, and you can see the trend, mrmobile outright called the 950 a NOPE(yea that was a long time ago, but see steve's ongoing struggle)

simply put w10m is a BETA which is not branded as such, like cortana was for example, whether it works or not for you is a total gamble

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs