Losing the faith

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Use what works for you and your lifestyle.

To those who keep saying a browser will suffice... sadly no it will not try using Haemtrack for example on your phone's browser and then the app (A live saving app for those who suffer from haemophilia only available on ios and android). It's app like these that count not just the big name apps.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Use what works for you and your lifestyle.

To those who keep saying a browser will suffice... sadly no it will not try using Haemtrack for example on your phone's browser and then the app (A live saving app for those who suffer from haemophilia only available on ios and android). It's app like these that count not just the big name apps.
That's a really good point. I have a recurring health issue and when I get sick I have to use my work android full time because of a web app for hospital/physicians that is not available on WP.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's a really good point. I have a recurring health issue and when I get sick I have to use my work android full time because of a web app for hospital/physicians that is not available on WP.
I also have apps for refilling prescriptions from my pharmacy, and I have a MyChart app for doctor appointments and even contacting my doctors. Of course, those apps are only available for Android/iOS.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Just said pretty much the same thing to my uncle who lost his bookmarks.....in Opera 12 running on Windows XP on 20 year old hardware....why does he always call me...sigh...

Point him in the direction of some new windows 10 hybrid. Then you can use that assist app easily with him. Arrange his start menu for him and it will be easy.

My parents have ios and windows phone. Once I arranged their windows phone start menu they pretty much don't ask me many questions, but I still constantly get stuff about ios. They say ios is supposed to be simple but honestly my experience tells me otherwise.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
It just occurred to me. MS is going for the Enterprise market. I was a part of that market for over 30 years. Mind you, smartphones were not a part of those years. BUT, if they had been, I would have certainly wanted apps for health and safety that worked on my enterprise phone. If the apps mentioned by Mary Beth and Laura are not available on the enterprise phone; it necessitates carrying two phones with you.

I'm a diabetic and use a pump. If I couldn't manage my life with the work phone; I would have been lost. I'm totally confused on what MS plans are. I guess that they think Enterprise users won't need menial apps such as medical apps and doctor apps.

WOW, the lack of foresight.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It just occurred to me. MS is going for the Enterprise market. I was a part of that market for over 30 years. Mind you, smartphones were not a part of those years. BUT, if they had been, I would have certainly wanted apps for health and safety that worked on my enterprise phone. If the apps mentioned by Mary Beth and Laura are not available on the enterprise phone; it necessitates carrying two phones with you.

I'm a diabetic and use a pump. If I couldn't manage my life with the work phone; I would have been lost. I'm totally confused on what MS plans are. I guess that they think Enterprise users won't need menial apps such as medical apps and doctor apps.

Keeping your work phone and personal phone are in the best interest of the company and the user. You get your privacy. The company can replace your phone easily, can take it away from you to troubleshoot. Can provide information to law enforcement if needed. This is pretty much standard practice in companies I have worked with here. The engineers are given phones, no one cares what you're using. You are also forced to use the carrier that the company chooses. If you used your personal phone the company is at the whim of your carrier and what you claim. Say you didn't want to pick up a call from your boss you pretend it didn't reach you. You pretend you didn't get an email. Well with an enterprise provided phone you better believe that it will be logging and you won't have access to remove those logs. It will likely only be something serious companies and serious employees require. 2 phones is not unheard of. In fact, a technician was here recently to fix my internet and he had the company provided phone and his own. Pretty standard here for big reputable companies that don't take chances. Apps will come. Again MS isn't even starting their enterprise focus yet. They know w10m isn't fully ready for what they want to do. UWP has only been around a year. Lots of APIs are still not available for different functions. Heck fitbit doesn't even have Gatt yet. You're all thinking too short term on this whole thing.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Awww sorry to hear that, I hope it doesn't cause you to much trouble :cry:.

Sadly a lot of users don't realise that there are health factors at play here not just participating in the latest trend at play here. I want to elaborate on that however I feel it would be best not to as otherwise I'd end up typing several novels predominately around Microsoft's actions as of late and their far reaching effects (both negative and positive).

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm still somewhat committed to Microsoft's vision of the future for mobile computing. But I am loosing my faith in the current iteration. Too many small things that just don't work right. Like a USA sim card that works perfectly in my wife's iPhone and erratically at best in my Lumia 930. (I'm from Canada and use the sim when visiting in the US.) And there are too many apps and gadgets that only work with iOS or Android. (I don't need 500,000 apps, but I could sure use the 50 that connect with the specific services I want to use. Where is MS in the smart home market? And don't get me going about easy access of TV programming.) The last straw was the recent upgrades to outlook.com that actually broke what had been working for years - syncing mail with my GoDaddy POP3 account. That was the reason I started using outlook.com in the first place! Without access to email on my phone, I'm not sure what to do now.

ms is in the last half a percentage point of the smartphone marketshare, on their own platform.

they do much better at writing apps for other platforms, than they ever will at gaining that marketshare back. <<< that's a hint as to where you can find the apps you need on a daily basis.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I kind of believe this is the reason for the delay on the Surface phone. Their mobile OS is changing fast (with upgrades) and they want it more stable before another attempt (and probably their last if it doesn't work) at producing mobile hardware. Of course, its still going to be aimed at enterprise.

On a side note, I'm happy with my WP at the moment and still haven't lost faith.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft have a great database in Micosoft Health Vault. Its such a shame they released the health app that linked to the Bnad and Health Vault didnt. Now it seems its been aBANDoned (couldn't help it) and its a shambles, maybe another case of teams not talking to each other internally, honestly...some of the decisions they make are beyond comprehension or common sense.

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
The thing that really made me angry about MS is the fact that their best mobile apps are better on iPhone. For instance Bing. How the heck do you expect people to buy into your platform when you yourself don't buy into it. I bought an iPhone just because I got so sick of this. And actually I don't even want to use Microsoft apps on iOS at all because of this. I hope windows phone gets better because honestly I think the UI is much better than iOS or android:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte