Losing the faith

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm still somewhat committed to Microsoft's vision of the future for mobile computing. But I am loosing my faith in the current iteration. Too many small things that just don't work right. Like a USA sim card that works perfectly in my wife's iPhone and erratically at best in my Lumia 930. (I'm from Canada and use the sim when visiting in the US.) And there are too many apps and gadgets that only work with iOS or Android. (I don't need 500,000 apps, but I could sure use the 50 that connect with the specific services I want to use. Where is MS in the smart home market? And don't get me going about easy access of TV programming.) The last straw was the recent upgrades to outlook.com that actually broke what had been working for years - syncing mail with my GoDaddy POP3 account. That was the reason I started using outlook.com in the first place! Without access to email on my phone, I'm not sure what to do now.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's understandable to lose faith. It's hard to use a phone that isn't working right for you. You have to do what will work best for you and your lifestyle.

xx7774

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I just sorted my issue with Outlook / Go-Daddy today. Go-Daddy upgraded my email accounts to IMAP, unfortunately it comes at a small cost.

The upgrade to IMAP took 5 minutes and works perfectly with outlook.com.

The Go-Daddy help desk told me that most web based email clients no longer work with POP.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just sorted my issue with Outlook / Go-Daddy today. Go-Daddy upgraded my email accounts to IMAP, unfortunately it comes at a small cost.

The upgrade to IMAP took 5 minutes and works perfectly with outlook.com.

The Go-Daddy help desk told me that most web based email clients no longer work with POP.
Why is this bad? IMAP accounts are usually better for persons who use email on multiple devices.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I lost my faith ages ago... oh... we're talking about MS here and Windows Mobile...

Anyway, if you want 'the latest and greatest' in mobile apps and supported gadgets then you're on the wrong platform for the time being. No idea when MS will be the right platform but for now it's not there.

Here's the thing. MS is taking a different route, possibly even one it should have started with, so it will be a long wait for many consumers to want to buy a Windows Mobile if specific apps are the thing you want.

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, w10m is not the most stable solution for everyone at this point. But one thing is for sure it will get better, but I don't think it will get better on older hardware like the 930. Keep in mind that this is being developed for the future, their level of effort on old phones is next to none really. Think about how they dropped the majority of their shares by not supporting a lot of older hardware. They don't care about the miniscule shares and as far as old hardware they do support, do you think they spend so much time on it that they have been spending with the 950/950xl? Of course not, it works, move on. Likely they are putting more focus on 820 and any newer SOCs they want to support. If they do decide to go all out on mobile, support it, market it and show it off to the world, it's not going to be on old hardware. So don't expect your 930 to get way better at any point. If anything it may even get worse performance over time. You're using a Nokia phone which MS wants to remove itself from as far as possible.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Why is this bad? IMAP accounts are usually better for persons who use email on multiple devices.

Honestly I don't get people who use old technologies and then get mad when things progress. Honestly, pop3? This thing started losing ground like 15 years ago. I didn't think anyone even used that. But then again I didn't think anyone used Windows phone either, lol.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, w10m is not the most stable solution for everyone at this point. But one thing is for sure it will get better, but I don't think it will get better on older hardware like the 930. Keep in mind that this is being developed for the future, their level of effort on old phones is next to none really. Think about how they dropped the majority of their shares by not supporting a lot of older hardware. They don't care about the miniscule shares and as far as old hardware they do support, do you think they spend so much time on it that they have been spending with the 950/950xl? Of course not, it works, move on. Likely they are putting more focus on 820 and any newer SOCs they want to support. If they do decide to go all out on mobile, support it, market it and show it off to the world, it's not going to be on old hardware. So don't expect your 930 to get way better at any point. If anything it may even get worse performance over time. You're using a Nokia phone which MS wants to remove itself from as far as possible.

I agree with you on this.

I have a 640 that I went on Insider to get Windows 10 Mobile on. It seems like I have to hard reset a lot because of random bugs that appear after updating. I'm tired of it (and no, I was never in the fast ring, only Production after upgrading). However when I tried the 550 (a lot of months back but still) and the 950, I didn't have these. Something seems to be different with native Windows 10 Mobile phones. I don't even want to get started on how the camera has changed for older hardware.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't get people who use old technologies and then get mad when things progress. Honestly, pop3? This thing started losing ground like 15 years ago. I didn't think anyone even used that. But then again I didn't think anyone used Windows phone either, lol.

Just said pretty much the same thing to my uncle who lost his bookmarks.....in Opera 12 running on Windows XP on 20 year old hardware....why does he always call me...sigh...

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
People didn't upgrade to Windows 10 and why they didn't like Windows 8.1 (talking about PC, but similar situation is with mobile) because they're afraid of change and are too lazy to adapt. Same goes for most of other changes too.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
People didn't upgrade to Windows 10 and why they didn't like Windows 8.1 (talking about PC, but similar situation is with mobile) because they're afraid of change and are too lazy to adapt. Same goes for most of other changes too.

This is true. I think Windows 7 is still pretty solid if you don't care for store apps on your computer at all.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not necessarily laziness or fear of change. Many Windows Store apps are bare bones and. feature lacking compared to their x86 / x64 counterparts.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, it's hard NOT to loose faith when MS does a poor job of instilling any reason to stay on board with WP. When major OEM partners like Lenovo announce that they have no plans to make Windows Phones b/c they question MS even supporting the mobile platform is off-putting. MS didn't even respond to this report. At the same time, major apps start pulling support for their Windows Phone apps and MS STILL remains silent. On top of that, several of MS's own apps have only gotten better on other platforms. I've been with Windows phone since WP7 days. After leaving the Android world, I'm slowly starting to prepare myself to go back. I'm still waiting for MS to give word on how they will approach mobile going forward. I'm going on sheer faith right now, but as of yet, it's not looking good sad to say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077